Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nintendo Unveils 2DS Console in an effort to secure its Portable Gaming Share

Thanks

Default Nintendo Unveils 2DS Console in an effort to secure its Portable Gaming Share

Nintendo, the Japanese game maker, recently announced another variant of its popular 3DS portable gaming console, this time a lesser expensive version likely aimed at helping the company cement market share as smartphones like Apple’s iPhone disrupt the established portable gaming space.

Given the name 2DS, the new console lacks two defining features found in its predecessors (the 3DS and the 3DS XL). First, the recently announced device lacks the autostereoscopic display functionality that makes 3D visuals possible on the other two consoles. Second, it doesn’t have the folding form factor that has marked Nintendo’s portables since the Nintendo DS debuted in 2004.

The device still sports the dual-screen form factor of its predecessors and will be able to play all 3DS and Nintendo DS games. It will also be able to access all of the 3DS apps from Nintendo’s eShop. The new portable also packs a front camera and two rear cameras, a single speaker, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. It is also said to come with a 4GB SD card.

The most attractive differentiator for the upcoming device is its price point. At $129, the 2DS could prove more tempting for cost-conscious consumers when it arrives on October 12, in time for the holiday shopping season.
    The 3DS line has proved to be the sole bright spot for Nintendo over the past year or so. The device debuted to slow sales due to its high price tag but a price cut soon after ensured that sales would begin to take off. It is now the overall leader in dedicated console sales in the United States according to the NPD. As of right now, Nintendo is leaning on the 3DS line as it continues to struggle to generate consumer interest for tis home console, the Wii U.

In the meantime, portable devices running Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android are rapidly altering the portable gaming landscape. Gaming revenue from Google’s Play Store and Apple’s App Store is now four times greater than what Sony and Nintendo see from their dedicated gaming devices. Apps in those two upstart markets are typically cheaper to develop than Nintendo titles and developers have a potential audience that is orders of magnitude larger than the 3DS install base. Nintendo has taken to attracting smartphone developers to its platforms, hoping that having their offerings on might keep customers from looking in the direction of iOS and Android.

We’ll have to see how the results turn out.

Source: Nintendo

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What an ugly looking device...

harks back to the days of the game and watch they used to make.. very retro imo

"Portable gaming" good luck getting a 2ds in your pocket

Thanks

Dear Nintendo, please surrender your hardware manufacturing in favor of licensed gaming. No one buys your systems any longer. Out of the three, you are always 3rd. Time to make the switch..license your vast library of games that we all love to play and watch your stocks grow. You can then forward me the salary of your CEO as I seem to know a bit more about what the public wants than he haha.

Yeah it does look ugly, but its actually a really great idea, the 3DS has been selling amazingly with 30+ Mill units, the 2DS is targeted towards a younger audience, sales will boost when this comes out because of the lower price point

The device is specifically geared for children under the age of seven, which makes sense. By no means is it going to appeal to any gamers or adults who have certain tastes for aesthetics.

Think about the way little children handle devices, they're rough with them. Almost extending the DS to the point beyond the hinge can handle, carrying it by the top screen, etc. Then there is the bigger issue, it's been proven (ill provide sources if need be) that 3D effect creatives cumulative damage on young children as their eyes are still developing.

Do not get me wrong, this device is hideous, and no consumer in their right mind would want to be caught holding one. That said, do you think a five year old cares if they're seen in public playing this thing?

Nintendo's version of the iPhone 5C. I like it actually- a low-cost way to play many games, especially first-party, I consider superior to most smartphone games.

iPhone? More like MyPhone LtNachos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Dear Nintendo, please surrender your hardware manufacturing in favor of licensed gaming. No one buys your systems any longer. Out of the three, you are always 3rd.
    Yea that's why they lead global sales over the 360 and ps3 right?

Thanks

Truly a device from hell

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Dear Nintendo, please surrender your hardware manufacturing in favor of licensed gaming. No one buys your systems any longer. Out of the three, you are always 3rd. Time to make the switch..license your vast library of games that we all love to play and watch your stocks grow. You can then forward me the salary of your CEO as I seem to know a bit more about what the public wants than he haha.
    Congratulations on winning the prize of dumbest comment in this thread.

The Wii was the best selling console of the last generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii)
    The DS was the best selling portable system of all time....and still is.
    Both the Wii and DS sold over 800 Million units of Software.
    The 3DS is currently outselling what the DS did in the same timeframe.
    Pokemon alone could keep Nintendo in the black for decades.
    Nintendo has billions upon billions of $ in their War Chest. Estimated at $10 Billion

So to summarise, I wouldn't want you anywhere near the CEO of any company....it would surely fail within the first Quarter.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

jose060789 (08-29-2013)

What puzzles me the most is that how in world does the 2DS still have the two cameras in the back if the 3D capability is non existent hence "2DS"? Someone please explain that to me. 0_o
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    What puzzles me the most is that how in world does the 2DS still have the two cameras in the back if the 3D capability is non existent hence "2DS"? Someone please explain that to me. 0_o
    I think it's more of a matter of why than how. If I had to guess why the two cameras was a necessity for Nintendo to include with this lower-end model, I would have to say its for augmented reality games that require both cameras in order to function correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    I think it's more of a matter of why than how. If I had to guess why the two cameras was a necessity for Nintendo to include with this lower-end model, I would have to say its for augmented reality games that require both cameras in order to function correctly.
    "Despite its inability to display 3D content, the 2DS retains the 3DS's dual cameras for taking photographs in 3D—photos taken on the 2DS can still be seen in 3D when they are viewed on a 3DS."

-Wikipedia
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

"Second, it doesn’t have the folding form factor that has marked Nintendo’s portables since the Nintendo DS debuted in 2004."
    Uhh, Gameboy Advance SP folded and launched 21 months earlier. That's almost two years earlier that it has marked their portables.

Say what you will about the hardware but the name seems terrible for the clueless parents that don't know what game works with what. They will probably assume that "3DS" games don't work with a "2DS" and will only buy old "works with any DS" Nintendo DS games.

No folding. That needs to be fixed. Knowing Nintendo, a 2DS XL will be out next.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    "Despite its inability to display 3D content, the 2DS retains the 3DS's dual cameras for taking photographs in 3D—photos taken on the 2DS can still be seen in 3D when they are viewed on a 3DS."

-Wikipedia
    Ya I got that, I just don't believe taking 3d pictures was the real reason why they included the two cameras, after all they were trying to keep the price and manufacturing cost to a minimum. The inclusion of one camera would have definitely made things cheaper, clearly, from my perspective, they needed to include both to retain functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    "Second, it doesn’t have the folding form factor that has marked Nintendo’s portables since the Nintendo DS debuted in 2004."
    Uhh, Gameboy Advance SP folded and launched 21 months earlier. That's almost two years earlier that it has marked their portables.

Say what you will about the hardware but the name seems terrible for the clueless parents that don't know what game works with what. They will probably assume that "3DS" games don't work with a "2DS" and will only buy old "works with any DS" Nintendo DS games.
    Didn't even really consider how the name will totally mess with clueless parents buying for their children. The device naming of the 3ds even was silly, no different with the Wii U. Non video game enthusiasts will without have a doubt knowing the current generation from the previous!

honestly.. ive been wanting to buy my 4 year old daughter a 3DS for the past 6 months because her 8 year old sister has one and she always wants to play multiplayer mario kart with her... i read the 3D aspect is kinda bad for younger childrens' vision, that, and the fact that i fear she could snap a 3DS in half were the only two factors keeping me from getting her one. aside from the price for a childs toy.. BUT THIS NEW THING!!! ill be getting her one for Christmas. there will be family tournaments! i think its more marketed for little children hands.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ewokcwalk For This Useful Post:

pkmaximum (08-30-2013)