+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Confirms Galaxy Gear Smart Watch Debut at a September 4 Event in Germany

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Confirms Galaxy Gear Smart Watch Debut at a September 4 Event in Germany

Samsung has confirmed that it will be unveiling a new wearable device dubbed the Galaxy Gear at a media event in Germany next week. The launch will represent the company’s latest stab at a smart watch, which is a move that many tech giants seem to be working on. The company recently revealed to The Korea Times that its forthcoming Galaxy Gear will be a smart watch with a non-flexible display. Lee Young-hee, executive vice president of Samsung’s mobile business, referred to the accessory as a “concept device,” suggesting that it may not be ready for the mass market.” According to him:

The new device will enhance and enrich the current smart mobile experience in many ways. It will lead a new trend in smart mobile communications. We are confident that the Gear will add meaningful momentum to the mobile industry.
    The Samsung executive revealed that the Galaxy Note 3, which is the latest in a line of super-sized smartphones, will make its international debut next week as well. All the festivities are said to be a part of the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin. The comments from Lee confirm an earlier rumor that pegged Samsung’s “Unpacked Episode 2” event to unveil the new Galaxy Gear wearable accessory. The Korean electronics maker also applied for a U.S. trademark for the product name “Galaxy Gear” earlier this month.

According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing which described the Galaxy Gear, it was defined as the following:

…wearable electronic devices in the form of a wristwatch, wrist band or bangle capable of providing access to the Internet and for sending and receiving phone calls, electronic mails and messages.
    A separate report from the folks over at AmongTech who claimed ot cite an inside source are saying the device will carry a 2.5-inch OLED touchscreen display, 4-megapixel camera, on-board speakers and a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor. The battery life is said to be around 10 hours, while connectivity is handheld by Bluetooth 4.0 LE. The publication continues by claiming that the watch will be offered in both a 6GB and 8GB configuration.

Apple also ended up filing its own patent application for a wrist-watch device and is currently seeking trademark rights for the “iWatch” name in a number of countries. There even appear to be several reports about the product which continue to float around regularly. We’ll have to wait and see how the competition turns out on what appears to be the next big tech trend, smart watches.

Source: AmongTech, The Korea Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks
    Samsung has been a tendency of copying the Apple made products .. first it has copied the concept of iPad/Pod and now is copying iWatch.. have they nothing genuine to thing for and made upon ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How can they copy something that no one out side of apple has seen and isn't even confirmed yet?
    And why pick on Samsung when a lot of other manufactures are also planning smart watches?

Thanks

Its the "next big thing" supposedly. I guess G-Shocks have lost their luster. Time for a new overpriced arm accessory. Still awaiting the list of capabilities for the iWatch. Im sure in the end it will be the watch of choice.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why anyone would want to buy a smart watch with a battery life of 10 hours is beyond me. Regardless who it's made by.

If the battery life of these watches is gonna be less than 24 hours then there's seriously no point to them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yatezy View Post
    Why anyone would want to buy a smart watch with a battery life of 10 hours is beyond me. Regardless who it's made by.

If the battery life of these watches is gonna be less than 24 hours then there's seriously no point to them.
    Not many people are awake for a full 24-hour period. Totally understand what you're saying though. Not to mention, it's 10 hours of use, that time isn't allocated towards the times it's in sleep mode.

Thanks

battery shud be at least a week..... watch with battery less den half day is CRAP!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung may copy Apple at times, but to the poster who claims this copies the iWatch: THERE IS NO iWatch !

Get over yourself. Geeze!

As for the claims: I would hope Samsung realizes that a watch needs to last longer than half a day. It needs to (at least) make it through a weekend away from power outlets. These smartwatches are competing against multiple product categories (sports watches, traditional watches, and smart accessories / wearable peripherals) while trying to revive a dying category (the wrist watch). Both sport watches (tomtom/nike, garmin, polar, etc.) and wrist watches last for weeks, not hours or days. Heck, even the Pebble (the only real competitor in the smartwatch space currently) has a 7 day battery life. If the specs are correct then the camera needs to go and the screen has to be shrunk down in order to reduce power consumption.

Personally, I'm not fan of wearing a watch. I stopped wearing a watch back in middle school. It wasn't until I became a nurse that I had to start wearing a watch again. If I have to wear a watch I might as we'll be wearing a smartwatch. I really hope things heat up in this space and these companies can deliver awesome features at competitive prices. And assist of you should know (though fanboys tend to forget) competition in the marketplace is always a good thing!
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

saleen_GT (08-29-2013)

Thanks

As a server, student, and just a sociable person, there is definitely a market for this type of device. It's much more discrete to look at your wrist every time a notification on your phone goes off than to remove the phone out of the pocket and then begin to see the notification.

Also, most employers don't appreciate seeing phones in the work place, so sometimes checking notifications can be problematic. A smart watch would definitely alleviate a lot of aggravation.

Definitely curious for what Samsung is going to put on the table next week. So far I think SONY's offering looks the most appealing out of all the smart watches. That should be coming out this September. Hopefully one of these third-party manufacturers will make their watch iOS compatible as well. I do not feel like waiting another year to start taking advantage of some of the amazing functionality a smart watch can offer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This product is obviously RUSHED ahead of an iWatch launch. Samsung just wants to be the (i did it first) company. They are so pathetic...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Get a pebble

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahSantos View Post
    Samsung has been a tendency of copying the Apple made products .. first it has copied the concept of iPad/Pod and now is copying iWatch.. have they nothing genuine to thing for and made upon ?
    How on earth can Samsung copy a product the doesn't exist?. It is Apple that are last in offering a Smart Watch.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clive.weller For This Useful Post:

pkmaximum (08-29-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clive.weller View Post
    How on earth can Samsung copy a product the doesn't exist?. It is Apple that are last in offering a Smart Watch.
    This. I respect Apple as much as the next guy, especially the original law suits for the blatant device copying. That said, how does Samsung copy a device that hasn't even been confirmed to exist as of yet? Not to mention people are only complaining because its Samsung! SONY came out with a smart watch back in 2011 and have been making them since; the SONY live view is a smart watch with android connectivity. Get your facts straight people!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    Get your facts straight people!
    That would interfere with the Apple fixated glaze in their eyes.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks

It's laughable that you would assume this.

My Bluetooth watch lasts 3 weeks between charges and it...
    controls my music and...
    shows caller ID and...
    vibrates when the phone is out of range and...
    allows me to silently reject calls that I was only aware of thanks to the watch vibrating on my wrist and...
    looks like a normal analog watch and...
    shows me email and text notifications and contents and...
    so much more.

It's a Sony-Ericsson MBW-150 from 2007. The original MBW-100 is even older.

Half the point of a smart watch is to tap into the power in your pocket and not risk dropping the phone. No reason to have tons of processing power and storage when there's a phone in your pocket for that. Even if you wanted interactive touchscreen watch apps on a full color display it makes more sense to make it a remote display for the phone and storage in your pocket. This way it doesn't have to compromise on power, storage, or battery life to do everything half as well on your wrist and no one is wondering why they don't just integrate the cellular radio too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    It's laughable that you would assume this.

My Bluetooth watch lasts 3 weeks between charges and it...
    controls my music and...
    shows caller ID and...
    vibrates when the phone is out of range and...
    allows me to silently reject calls that I was only aware of thanks to the watch vibrating on my wrist and...
    looks like a normal analog watch and...
    shows me email and text notifications and contents and...
    so much more.

It's a Sony-Ericsson MBW-150 from 2007. The original MBW-100 is even older.

Half the point of a smart watch is to tap into the power in your pocket and not risk dropping the phone. No reason to have tons of processing power and storage when there's a phone in your pocket for that. Even if you wanted interactive touchscreen watch apps on a full color display it makes more sense to make it a remote display for the phone and storage in your pocket. This way it doesn't have to compromise on power, storage, or battery life to do everything half as well on your wrist and no one is wondering why they don't just integrate the cellular radio too.
    That sounds a lot better. I've only made an assumption from what I've read and it seemed like they were gonna stick a slimed down version of Android into a wristwatch which would drain the battery.

If it's just using bluetooth then it shouldn't be too much of a drain. Thanks for the info though, gives a better insight in a smart watch.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahSantos View Post
    Sony already made a smartwatch like this last year already so it's not like apple is the first one who invented this.

Sony SmartWatch Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nerd; 08-30-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks

That sounds a lot better. I've only made an assumption from what I've read and it seemed like they were gonna stick a slimed down version of Android into a wristwatch which would drain the battery.

If it's just using bluetooth then it shouldn't be too much of a drain. Thanks for the info though, gives a better insight in a smart watch.
    Well, it looks like you were right and I am seriously disappointed. I hadn't read any of the rumors and thought you simply assumed those things like most of the people ripping on the very concept of a Bluetooth SmartWatch. FWIW, Samsung is seriously barking up the wrong tree with this one.