+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Current Status of the iOS 7 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default The Current Status of the iOS 7 Jailbreak

Worldwide Jailbreak Con 2013 is finally over and one of the biggest questions that many people continue to ask the developers turned out to be whether or not an iOS 7 jailbreak will be ready soon. With the next-gen iPhone and a rumored low-cost iPhone around the corner, this isn’t much of a surprise as many people will be interested in upgrading devices and therefore want the ability to jailbreak their new device for all the tweaks/themes they have grown accustomed to.

As confirmed by @p0sixninja and @pimkskeks (of team @evad3rs), there hasn’t been much progress made on an iOS 7 jailbreak yet. As with any iteration of iOS, there are different approaches and exploits to each, but none of the developers have put all the puzzle pieces together to create a jailbreak for users just yet. Furthermore, @pimkskeks pointed out that some of the exploits the developers had under their belt have been fixed in iOS 7, which means new alternative methods must be researched and discovered. It was pointed out by @p0sixninja that even if they had a jailbreak for the iOS 7 beta , it wouldn’t make sense to publish the jailbreak as Apple would patch the vulnerabilities before the official release of iOS 7 if they were able to get their hands on it ahead of time.

Although no specific date was given regarding how long it might take to jailbreak iOS 7, there was a time frame of three to four months (at the very least). Those of you who are considering buying the new device once it is announced may want to think twice as you’ll have to wait to be able to jailbreak your new device. This shouldn’t come as a surprise as this happens routinely with every iOS device and its respective software launch.

As previously noted, in an effort to help free up some time for the developers, @p0sixninja has launched OpenJailbreak.org to help encourage others to help where they can.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-26-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Lets say the jailbreak comes out and apple releases a new iOS to combat the jailbreak. Then anyway one purchasing a device after the fact is sol. Most likely the device will come with the newly updated firmware. Anyway good work to the devs for working on it in the first place.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,063 Times in 4,556 Posts

The article should have said "since iOS5" has it taken 3-4 months. For both iOS5 and iOS6 it took until 2nd week of February.. almost to the day.. And each of those two were the "new breed" of harder to crack iOS'.. In the early days it took a few days to a few weeks to jail break. Those days are forever gone.

Also in the last two JB - there was a moment where they had a real jailbreak long about Christmas-time but decided to hold it until after a major Apple release of a next 5.x/6.x update.

It'll be the same this time. But this will be a harder wait. iOS6 was a dud upgrade. I waited until 1 week before jailbreak to buy my iPh5 because I wanted my jailbreak more than iOS6. But iOS7 is a game changer. It's so impressive an upgrade its almost worth losing your jailbreak over. But if I get a 5S on day 1 - it'll be a very long wait to February.

We DEFINITELY won't get a JB before Feb this time either... and with P0sixninja doing all his public forum stuff - all that info Apple will find and patch before we ever get to use those exploits. I wish the devs would stay secret with their stuff.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-26-2013), buggsy2 (08-26-2013), rampagebegins (08-26-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Lets say the jailbreak comes out and apple releases a new iOS to combat the jailbreak. Then anyway one purchasing a device after the fact is sol. Most likely the device will come with the newly updated firmware. Anyway good work to the devs for working on it in the first place.
    You can almost always buy older firmware devices from 3rd party stores like Best Buy. I bought an iPad 4 from HHGregg after 6.1.3 had been released and it came with 6.0.1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    You can almost always buy older firmware devices from 3rd party stores like Best Buy. I bought an iPad 4 from HHGregg after 6.1.3 had been released and it came with 6.0.1.
    You can find older iPads for sure with earlier firmwares but not iPhones. Apple recalls older stock.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares? View Post
    Who cares, iOS 7 is FOR THE FAIL anyways. Not to mention that even if they had a Jailbreak available it would still be useless seeing as how EVERY app/tweak will have to be rewritten to work on iOS 7. Most developers have gotten bored and moved on by now. I mean seriously who the hell wants to sit around and write code for hours and hours just to get your app working on a newer iOS version? Most developers would rather be spending that time UPDATING their app with NEW FEATURES, not making it "COMPATIBLE" with an UGLY OS like iOS 7

I find it amusing that simple people get so excited about the dumbest sh.it. Like the new control center in iOS 7. I mean seriously WHO GIVES A FU.CK? SBSettings is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than Control Center so there's really nothing to get all excited about.

I swear some people are just so desperate for something new that they will take WHATEVER is given to them. If the iOS 7 interface had been around for all these years and now Crapple was changing it to look like iOS 6, everyone would be like "OMFG the new interface looks amazing! It looks so much better than that ugly FLAT interface they had before".

Buncha fu.ckin fanboy a.ss weirdos
    wtf are you talking about all developers update their apps as soon as a new ios is jailbroken along with a sh*tload of new apps. if you hate ios 7 that much then stay on ios 6 i dont think anyone gives a sh*t

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xhazex9x For This Useful Post:

rampagebegins (08-26-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares? View Post
    Who cares, iOS 7 is FOR THE FAIL anyways. Not to mention that even if they had a Jailbreak available it would still be useless seeing as how EVERY app/tweak will have to be rewritten to work on iOS 7. Most developers have gotten bored and moved on by now. I mean seriously who the hell wants to sit around and write code for hours and hours just to get your app working on a newer iOS version? Most developers would rather be spending that time UPDATING their app with NEW FEATURES, not making it "COMPATIBLE" with an UGLY OS like iOS 7

I find it amusing that simple people get so excited about the dumbest sh.it. Like the new control center in iOS 7. I mean seriously WHO GIVES A FU.CK? SBSettings is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than Control Center so there's really nothing to get all excited about.

I swear some people are just so desperate for something new that they will take WHATEVER is given to them. If the iOS 7 interface had been around for all these years and now Crapple was changing it to look like iOS 6, everyone would be like "OMFG the new interface looks amazing! It looks so much better than that ugly FLAT interface they had before".

Buncha fu.ckin fanboy a.ss weirdos
    Wow...did Apple rape your family or something?!?! You've really gotta go somewhere else to cry about Apple's pitfalls.

I just bought a 32GB iPad 4 w/ 6.1.2 on eBay for $450. I needed the jailbreak so I was willing to pay for it. But, its also 32GB which cost $600 'new' so I still came out good!

Lastly, I sold my cracked 16GB iPad 2 for $190 which helped to pay for the iPad 4
    Last edited by thazsar; 08-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Wow...did Apple rape your family or something?!?! You've really gotta go somewhere else to cry about Apple's pitfalls.

I just bought a 32GB iPad 4 w/ 6.1.2 on eBay for $450. I needed the jailbreak so I was willing to pay for it. But, its also 32GB which cost $600 'new' so I still came out good!
    Lol. That dude really went off. It's a phone no need to get that bent out of shape.

Also people call it crapple. Really funny. Where's your million/billion dollar company. U can call apple what ever u like at the end of the day people still will buy a great product.
    Last edited by mlee19841; 08-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Lol. That dude really went off. It's a phone no need to get that bent out of shape.
    Sure did. It's like his mortal enemy! Calm down, bro...

Thanks

If a lot of their vulnerabilities were closed with iOS 7, why don't they use one of the closed ones for an iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 jailbreak? Since it won't work with the new OS anyways....not trying to sound rude, just curious what other factors are playing a role, or if any of the closed ones even work on iOS 6.1.3 or higher

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    The article should have said "since iOS5" has it taken 3-4 months. For both iOS5 and iOS6 it took until 2nd week of February.. almost to the day.. And each of those two were the "new breed" of harder to crack iOS'.. In the early days it took a few days to a few weeks to jail break. Those days are forever gone.

Also in the last two JB - there was a moment where they had a real jailbreak long about Christmas-time but decided to hold it until after a major Apple release of a next 5.x/6.x update.

It'll be the same this time. But this will be a harder wait. iOS6 was a dud upgrade. I waited until 1 week before jailbreak to buy my iPh5 because I wanted my jailbreak more than iOS6. But iOS7 is a game changer. It's so impressive an upgrade its almost worth losing your jailbreak over. But if I get a 5S on day 1 - it'll be a very long wait to February.

We DEFINITELY won't get a JB before Feb this time either... and with P0sixninja doing all his public forum stuff - all that info Apple will find and patch before we ever get to use those exploits. I wish the devs would stay secret with their stuff.
    This is exactly the reason why I DIDN'T get the iPhone 5... Because the jailbreak for iOS 6 took so long, that I figured, what's another 6 months? Here I am in the same position again: The only reason I have an iPhone is because of my jailbreak, but does that mean I'm gonna have to wait another 6 months to buy the 5S? It's moments like these that I want to jump ship and buy the next Flagship Android device that comes out and never have to deal with this again...

Anyone feel me? I feel like the only solution is to become a dev myself, join that openjailbreak.org website, and figure out how to jailbreak on my own... If only I had the time and brains...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HovikGas For This Useful Post:

gameguy95 (08-26-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Its stupid the way Apple fight so hard against jailbreaking.
    I think it would be smart to let it happen then they would have more users instead people go to Android for the ease and openness of it.
    If Jailbreaking was easy and made straight after a new IOS launch then I might've stayed with iPhone.
    If anything happens to my iPad then there is no way I'm getting another one as Android is just so much better for my needs. I like the openness and ability to access the whole phone unlike the locked down iPhone.
    On the iPhone I want iFile and OpenSSH so its open and I can do things I want to it. On Android it comes with an explorer stock and SSH, there are many apps for SSH so just choose which looks the best for you.

When the jailbreak for IOS7 gets released is when I update my iPad to IOS7, till then I'm happy with IOS6.1.2 and iFile/OpenSSH

Banned
    Thanks

do you guys think that apple has had more success over jailbreaking since (I think it was) GeoHot went and worked for apple for a while? also didn't another well known hacker work for apple as well?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares?_ View Post
    Last time I check this is a Crapple forum isn't it? I mean yeah it's a fu.ckin gay one ran by a buncha fu.ckin lame a.ss fa.ggot fanboys but it's still a Crapple forum.
    Well if you hate "crapple" so much then why are you still on the forum? You say you hate it and yet you keep coming back? Are you ignorant or just plain r******d? Seriously. Get a life kid.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Release JB for 6.1.3 on iPs 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Well if you hate "crapple" so much then why are you still on the forum? You say you hate it and yet you keep coming back? Are you ignorant or just plain r******d? Seriously. Get a life kid.
    Trolls -.- never have anything worth saying, they can't contribute, they can't even enter a discussion and ask a question when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about...

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    If a lot of their vulnerabilities were closed with iOS 7, why don't they use one of the closed ones for an iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 jailbreak? Since it won't work with the new OS anyways....not trying to sound rude, just curious what other factors are playing a role, or if any of the closed ones even work on iOS 6.1.3 or higher
    That's a totally reasonable question. My understanding is that Posixninja just released a tool that JB older devices that no other JB-devs were paying any attention to, and the old dev team came out of hiding to harass him and his team on twitter about stealing code and other such nonsense. Clearly there is a divide in the JB community between devs who want to use all the exploits to JB as many devices as possible and other devs who want to keep it to a small little club of cool kids behind closed doors. I'm with you. I would love to see the exploits that can't be used in iOS 7 further exploited in iOS 6.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    You can find older iPads for sure with earlier firmwares but not iPhones. Apple recalls older stock.
    That's not true... if your iPhone breaks and you get a replacement from an Apple store, they are never updated. Do you realize how much of a headache it would be for Apple to receive all the old stock in retail packaging... open them up... update them and then seal them back up for retail and ship them back out. That would cost millions.

Thanks

That's not true... if your iPhone breaks and you get a replacement from an Apple store, they are never updated. Do you realize how much of a headache it would be for Apple to receive all the old stock in retail packaging... open them up... update them and then seal them back up for retail and ship them back out. That would cost millions.
    Try to find an iPh5 on 6.1.2 or lower in any store right now. You won't be able to. Trust me - I've tried for several friends.. There are stock numbers on the box which can help you find what firmware is loaded on the phone. That's the easy part. You're right, Jim, in the first 6 months of a phones release. But by this point of the year - Apple calls for all iPhones from 'x' stock number and earlier to be recalled. It's actually really simply.. Not expensive. The stores themselves ship back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    This is exactly the reason why I DIDN'T get the iPhone 5... Because the jailbreak for iOS 6 took so long, that I figured, what's another 6 months? Here I am in the same position again: The only reason I have an iPhone is because of my jailbreak, but does that mean I'm gonna have to wait another 6 months to buy the 5S? It's moments like these that I want to jump ship and buy the next Flagship Android device that comes out and never have to deal with this again...

Anyone feel me? I feel like the only solution is to become a dev myself, join that openjailbreak.org website, and figure out how to jailbreak on my own... If only I had the time and brains...
    Yep. It sure is a conundrum. My iPhone is largely useless to me without a jailbreak. I really love what I see in iOS7 - so much I was ready to get it on day 1 as I had for all iphones until iPhone 5. But the more I use my iPhone5 on iOS6 with all the amazing themes and widgets I use plus tweaks I can't live without -- I think I'm gonna do what I did last time - and not get a 5S until February - or whenever JB is out for iOS7.

The other problem - is that even when we get the jailbreak for iOS7 - SOOO many more of our favorites tweaks will take a LOT of time to update - since iOS7 is almost a complete rewrite of iOS... uggh... So frustrating..

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-26-2013), HovikGas (08-27-2013), rickuk (08-26-2013)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast