+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Hacker p0sixninja Announces Launch of OpenJailbreak.org

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Very Interesting!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Very Interesting!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christophorosp View Post
    Why is this receiving so much negativity? I honestly do not understand all those comments criticizing him about this project.
    1. This will allow much more ppl dive in the jailbreak world
    2. Jailbreaks will be released at a much faster pace.

So what if Apple is all over this site? As soon as an exploit was discovered, Apple patched it in the next iOS iteration. I dont see how much of this will change. If an exploit is discovered for the current iOS release, as with every jailbreak case, when the new iteration is out, simply dont upgrade.

Only downside i see in this is the amount of exploits discovered simultaneously and posted online. Best advise to the site/project admin (p0sixninja) would be to first review the projects submitted (prominent exploits) and then release them publicly; at any instance have only one major exploit being developed. This way less exploits would be burned on each iOS iteration, i.e. have as few as possible projects running at the same time and have as much ppl as possible working on these projects.
    The problem, is there is no bootrom exploit that we know of & it takes more that one userland exploit to jailbreak a device, if people start finding these & sharing them Apple will patch them in the next update, thus make a JB for 7 impossible as we need more than 1, IOS6 JB took like 6 exploits to get the job done.

It's not a good idea to make exploits known so that Apple can fix before we/they even get a JB out the door.

We already have a JB for 6, but say we had one for 7 & apple were about to release 8 but everyone started posting all these exploits before the master was released, apple would just patch them & we would be stuck on 7.

In my opinion its a bad idea to do this, on paper it sounds good but in the real world it will do more harm than good.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You think Apple aren't already privy to half of what's gone on in the JB devworld ?
    PN is aware of this - and what goes up on the site will be no news or use to Apple.
    This is a great idea and as time passes, will expedite the release of future JB's.
    Crowdsourcing some of the donkeywork around JB'ing will free up the devs' time to work on the core stuff.
    To many, this is high-status, glamourous work - and rightly so.
    I wish all those who get involved all the best with PN's initiative - it's profoundly worthwhile.
    And for the record, iOS has been substantially enriched by what's come out of JB'ing - which has allowed the testing of concepts and code in the wild for Apple, who have had to bear none of the cost of conception or development of those ideas they 'borrowed'.
    The only reason Apple needs to be seen to be working against JB'ing is to maintain its commercial integrity for App (store) devs.
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 08-29-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 3,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
    You think Apple aren't already privy to half of what's gone on in the JB devworld ?
    PN is aware of this - and what goes up on the site will be no news or use to Apple.
    This is NOT true. The more they talk about specific exploits - the more Apple will learn early and patch the exploits. This is a very dumb idea.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    This is NOT true. The more they talk about specific exploits - the more Apple will learn early and patch the exploits. This is a very dumb idea.
    Your understandable paranoia is misplaced. There are very few devs privy to exploits - and those are what matter.
    The rest is of no significant consequence to Apple.
    Unless PN takes leave of his senses, there will be no discussion of exploits other than what PN might decide to torment and lead Apple astray with.
    So relax, pop a Bud and chill.

Thanks

Your understandable paranoia is misplaced. There are very few devs privy to exploits - and those are what matter.
    The rest is of no significant consequence to Apple.
    Unless PN takes leave of his senses, there will be no discussion of exploits other than what PN might decide to torment and lead Apple astray with.
    So relax, pop a Bud and chill.
    The 'pop a Bud' sounds like a GREAT idea.. I've just already seen the 'kind' of data that is leaking on the Twitter feeds. "Most devs" are sensible. SOME have 'rock star narcissistic complex' and like to say 'too much'. This wouldn't be the first time an usable tweak was 'leaked' by too much talking. But now for PN to want to start a 'public forum' to compare notes.. C'mon.. Silly idea.. don't you think?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    The 'pop a Bud' sounds like a GREAT idea.. I've just already seen the 'kind' of data that is leaking on the Twitter feeds. "Most devs" are sensible. SOME have 'rock star narcissistic complex' and like to say 'too much'. This wouldn't be the first time an usable tweak was 'leaked' by too much talking. But now for PN to want to start a 'public forum' to compare notes.. C'mon.. Silly idea.. don't you think?
    To repeat myself, the only sensitive info is on exploits - and the site is not aimed at their discussion ... it's about moving the considerable amount of other work required for a working JB forward.
    Go check out what's required for a JB - I think it'll help resolve things for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneThereforeIAm For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (08-30-2013)

Thanks

To repeat myself, the only sensitive info is on exploits - and the site is not aimed at their discussion ... it's about moving the considerable amount of other work required for a working JB forward.
    Go check out what's required for a JB - I think it'll help resolve things for you.
    I would never post my concern comments here if I hadn't already done my homework ( by visiting the site ) and come away still concerned that an exploit will be leaked. I agree the one silver lining Is spreading around the workload. But there's no way to fully discuss jail break delivery system issues without the potential for a hint about the exploit to slip out.

I've been doin' this a LONG time. Not implying others, that feel differently, are inexperienced - but it's hard for me to imagine they think that this idea of PN's is "exploit leak-proof".

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12