+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T's 4G LTE Network to Reach 50 More Markets By the End of 2013

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T's 4G LTE Network to Reach 50 More Markets By the End of 2013

AT&T has been rapidly expanding the coverage of their 4G LTE networking in the United States all summer long, and from what it looks like, AT&T doesnít have any plans to stop expanding their network to additional markets.

AT&T made the announcement Wednesday morning that the U.S.-based carrier plans to add 4G LTE network coverage to another 50 markets before the end of the 2013 year. Those markets include:

• Fairbanks, AK
    • Dothan, AL
    • Selma, AL
    • Redding, CA
    • Durango, CO
    • Pueblo, CO
    • Tifton, GA
    • Waycross, GA
    • Kauai, HI
    • The Big Island, HI
    • Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA
    • Twin Falls, ID
    • Lewiston, ID-WA
    • Decatur, IL
    • Kankakee-Bradley, IL
    • Peoria, IL
    • Paducah, KY-IL
    • Alexandria, LA
    • Lake Charles, LA
    • Lewiston-Auburn, ME
    • Battle Creek, MI
    • Jackson, MI
    • Joplin, MO
    • Poplar Bluff, MO
    • Rolla, MO
    • Brookhaven, MS
    • McComb, MS
    • Natchez, MS-LA
    • Kalispell, MT
    • Greenville, NC
    • Jacksonville, NC
    • Fargo, ND-MN
    • Elmira, NY
    • Utica-Rome, NY
    • Portsmouth, OH
    • Sandusky, OH
    • East Stroudsburg, PA
    • Pottsville, PA
    • Abilene, TX
    • Amarillo, TX
    • Longview, TX
    • Marshall, TX
    • San Angelo, TX
    • 44. Tyler, TX
    • Port Angeles, WA
    • Appleton, WI
    • Fond du Lac, WI
    • Oshkosh-Neenah, WI
    • Gillette, WY
    • Sheridan, WY

Notably, in places where AT&Tís 4G LTE network cannot be reached, subscribers have access to 4G HSPA+. AT&T claims to have the nationís largest 4G network because of this, even though 4G HSPA+ isnít as fast as 4G LTE. Verizon touts the nation's largest 4G LTE network, with the largest amount of coverage.

4G LTE offers a theoretical download speed of around 100Mb/s, however due to the unfortunate realities of network congestion, the download speeds on 4G LTE in real-life situations are more or less around 20-60Mb/s. Many of Apple's latest devices, including the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and iPad with retina display can take advantage of AT&T's ultra-fast 4G LTE network.

Sources: AT&T

My iPhone is a Part of Me slim.jim's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn, nothing more in Maryland. My home is 2 miles outside of an LTE signal, they just expand it a little.

Thanks

You would think they could expand all at once with the profit margin they reap per quarter :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone tankz504's Avatar
    Thanks

LTE has worked in Tyler Texas for about a month now.....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Damn, nothing more in Maryland. My home is 2 miles outside of an LTE signal, they just expand it a little.
    In our area, AT&T has installed LTE in approximately 1 out of every 5 cell towers along the freeway. So they can just about claim on their coverage map, that we now have LTE (and indeed, the orange color on their data-coverage map is an ever so slightly darker shade now). In practice, in most areas around our town you still get much faster transfer speeds by switching LTE off and using 5 bars of HSPA+, rather than 1 bar of LTE. I just hate how AT&T constantly assumes the public is too stupid to notice their tactics or their misleading advertising.

In the interests of full and fair disclosure, I should mention that I hate AT&T.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

That sucks I Just left AT&T for T-Mobile...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    In our area, AT&T has installed LTE in approximately 1 out of every 5 cell towers along the freeway. So they can just about claim on their coverage map, that we now have LTE (and indeed, the orange color on their data-coverage map is an ever so slightly darker shade now). In practice, in most areas around our town you still get much faster transfer speeds by switching LTE off and using 5 bars of HSPA+, rather than 1 bar of LTE. I just hate how AT&T constantly assumes the public is too stupid to notice their tactics or their misleading advertising.

In the interests of full and fair disclosure, I should mention that I hate AT&T.
    I have no issues with Att and I do live a bit out in the country but I am only 30 minutes from downtown Baltimore. The closest city/town with LTE is 4mi away but I get that signal about 2mi away. On LTE around here I generally get 40-50 up and 30 down.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoDaLoT View Post
    That sucks I Just left AT&T for T-Mobile...
    How is that I'm doing the same thing when the 5S comes out

Thanks

This is BUUUULLLS@#T. Pueblo!!!?? There are 5 Military bases here around the Springs!!! Colorado Springs should be on this list long before PueBlows....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post

Actually got LTE at my house yesterday. 5 bars of HSPA+ speed test at about 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. 2 bars of LTE test at 15 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up.