Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Announces That Google Maps Users Can Now Take Advantage of Waze Incident Reports

Default Google Announces That Google Maps Users Can Now Take Advantage of Waze Incident Reports

Google Tuesday morning announced that Google Maps users could now take advantage of the real-time incident reports generated from Waze users. Google acquired Waze in June 2013.

Shown above, the user can find little icons scattered throughout their maps that might show accidents, construction zones, road closures, and more. Tapping on the icon gives the user a brief explanation of what the icon is about.

These incident reports help drivers stay away from potential issues that could cause late arrivals or heavy traffic situations; however, all routing should be pre-planned and the driver should not be playing with their phone on the road for safety reasons.

The real-time Waze incident reports are available to users in both the iOS version of the application and in the Android version of the application. Currently, the real-time Waze incident reports are supported in the following countries:

• Argentina
    • Brazil
    • Chile
    • Colombia
    • Ecuador
    • France
    • Germany
    • Mexico
    • Panama
    • Peru
    • Switzerland
    • United Kingdom
    • United States

Notably, the incident reports are available in the Google Maps application without the need to look for an update to the application in the App Store. Google was able to integrate these features from their own end.

Sources: Google
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

THIS IS GREAT! I love Waze's incident reports - but I trust Google's mapping more. Best of both worlds! Did it say anything about Google Maps users being able to report their own incidents within the Google Maps app or can you only report in Waze?

I was about to say...why can't we report in GM...that'll be a nice leap forward to making that a perm replacement for me. I actually like how Apple's maps brought in details about the delay, but Google's gotten pretty good at it. But I don't want to switch over to Waze to report my own.

Tying in with Trapster would be the icing on the cake.

Is the info that creates these reports still crowdsourced? And if so, is there the capability to reporting something you see?

If the answers are yes and no, then the reliability is going to go downhill really fast as people abandon the Waze app and stop reporting incidents.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Just checked out. Very smooth. Would love to see the ability to report incidents via gm app. Crossing my fingers for a future update

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Best of both world. Google's maps are better and Waze has the most up to date traffic. The only problem is that Waze's usefulness depends on users continuing to use it and supply it with current and relevant data.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Does the directional A to B thing take note of these?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Good addition!
    I liked Waze for this reason! It has helped keep me and coworkers from being late a few times.
    Hopefully we'll see this get expanded farther with Google Maps, includimg reporting options like is already done with Waze.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Is the info that creates these reports still crowdsourced? And if so, is there the capability to reporting something you see?

If the answers are yes and no, then the reliability is going to go downhill really fast as people abandon the Waze app and stop reporting incidents.
    One would assume they would eventually add reporting into gmaps and fully merge the apps down the line in some fashion, but even if that didn't happen, while having incident reports in google maps would stop some people from using waze, the whole "earn points for reporting" is a very addicting "game". I work for a company that has ~500 outside sales reps across the country, driving everyday to existing clients and prospects. I introduced them to waze and they love it, they are racing to get to top level.

In fact thier one complaint is the top levels are based on being the 1% reporter in your state. They frequently are changing states and it then causes their scores to fluctuate. There almost needs to be a "trucker" version of waze with bonus points given to those reporting from all over.