+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Next-Gen A7 SoC Rumored to be 20% More Efficient

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's Next-Gen A7 SoC Rumored to be 20% More Efficient

Along with predictions of a much rumored “iPhone 5S,” KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo’s recent note to investors shed some light on Apple’s new A-series system on chip, expected to be called the “A7.” With each successive iPhone generation, Apple has introduced a new processor design that trumps the outgoing version in both efficiency and speed. The current A6 processor used in the iPhone 5 was the first chip completely designed by Apple in-house and the upcoming next-gen iPhone 5S is predicted to build on that architecture with a so-called “A7” SoC.

Kuo believes that Apple’s upcoming A-series silicon to be based on the latest ARMv8 architecture. In comparison, the A6 was built on a custom ARMv7 setup that doubled number crunching and graphics speeds, while shrinking die size by 22%. By stepping up to ARMv8 and tweaking hardware and software packages, Kuo believes that Apple will manage to squeeze out a 20% increase in efficiency over the A6.

One of the specs that boost the numbers is the inclusion of LPDDR3 RAM, a faster memory specification than the LPDDR2 modules currently used in the A6. The increased bandwidth will allow Apple to maintain a small amount of dedicated memory. Kuo expects the A7 to carry the same 1GB of on-die RAM seen with the previous generation chip. It was noted by Kuo that there is no clear evidence indicating whether the A7 will support 32-bit or 64-bit processes but says he “would not be surprised” to see 64-bit support this year. If 64-bit isn’t included in the A7, however, Kuo says that manufacturing trends will likely push Apple in that direction going forward.

As of right now, it isn’t known which company is fabricating Apple’s next-gen SoCs but some reports did mention that Apple will be moving away from Samsung in favor of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC). In the meantime, we’ll have to wait and be patient until more concrete information is revealed.

Source: KGI Securities via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

Will this affect JB

Thanks

Shouldn't affect jb since jb is just adding software without needing to affect hardware.

Thanks

Won't know till it comes out^^ We still don't have a JB for 6.1.4 and Im hoping that iOS 7 is JB'able on official launch. My iPhone 5 is just dying to be JB'roken :]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Won't know till it comes out^^ We still don't have a JB for 6.1.4 and Im hoping that iOS 7 is JB'able on official launch. My iPhone 5 is just dying to be JB'roken :]
    You can't expect a 6.1.4 jb. There is only one devices that runs it the, iPhone 5. @posixninja mentioned a bootrom exploit in a tweet the other night which could mean a permanent jb for the iPhone 5 regardless of firmware. He is also going to be giving a presentation on how the bootrom works and how past exploits have been found.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 08-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    You can't expect a 6.1.4 jb. There is only one devices that runs it the, iPhone 5. @posixninja mentioned a bootrom exploit in a tweet the other night which could mean a permanent jb for the iPhone 5 regardless of firmware. He is also going to be giving a presentation on how the bootrom works and how past exploits have been found.
    The bootrom exploit p0isixninja mentioned I believe is for A5 devices, I don't think it's the iPhone 5, and 6.1.3/6.1.4 is jail breakable, just hasn't been released because iOS 7, which is also jailbreakable from my understanding, which Evasi0n is waiting to release when iOS 7 Gold Master is released, correct me if I'm wrong please lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    The bootrom exploit p0isixninja mentioned I believe is for A5 devices, I don't think it's the iPhone 5, and 6.1.3/6.1.4 is jail breakable, just hasn't been released because iOS 7, which is also jailbreakable from my understanding, which Evasi0n is waiting to release when iOS 7 Gold Master is released, correct me if I'm wrong please lol
    His upcoming presentation is regarding the bootrom for A5 and A6 devices.

http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2013kul/joshua-p0sixninja-hill/
    Last edited by slim.jim; 08-16-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks

His upcoming presentation is regarding the bootrom for A5 and A6 devices.
    I believe I read something last night that said he still doesn't have a dump of the A6 bootrom, but I could be wrong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    I believe I read something last night that said he still doesn't have a dump of the A6 bootrom, but I could be wrong
    http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecco...sixninja-hill/

This doesn't mention whether he has a dump of one or the other but it could be promising to get other devs working on bootrom exploits if they understand how it works.

Thanks

http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecco...sixninja-hill/

This doesn't mention whether he has a dump of one or the other but it could be promising to get other devs working on bootrom exploits if they understand how it works.
    That's true, either way I am excited to see what comes of it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,157 Times in 835 Posts

Ryan Petrich has a jailbroken phone on ios7

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratnik View Post
    The jailbreak from any iOS hacker team will not be released until Apple seeds out the final release to all consumers, not the Gold Master. Ryan, evasi0n, and other individuals/groups should already have failbreaks for iOS 7 which isn't exactly a full jailbreak. Think of it as a test of discovered exploits, nothing solid enough for most Cydia packages, but to test some that use deep software integration. Most of the time in early failbreaks, there is a roadblock/firewall somewhere in that deep injection of certain Cydia packages that render them inoperable. Failbreaks help find alternate exploits, but are not jailbreaks.

Not only that, even if there is some successful jailbreak for iOS 7, we can't assume that we can use it freely whenever it's still in beta and requires a developer account.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillefied For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (08-19-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratnik View Post
    This is true

Thanks

I would JB my iOS7 if there's one, but, in the meantime I'm happy with it without JB. HOTSPOT is the only tweak that I want from JB really to be able to connect thru my iPhone 5 on my MacBook Pro!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BUcLAo69 View Post
    I would JB my iOS7 if there's one, but, in the meantime I'm happy with it without JB. HOTSPOT is the only tweak that I want from JB really to be able to connect thru my iPhone 5 on my MacBook Pro!!!
    You can still do that without a JB. There may be service fees, but some carriers are allowing it with regular data plans or shared plans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    You can still do that without a JB. There may be service fees, but some carriers are allowing it with regular data plans or shared plans.
    But with a jailbreak you can do it for free on any carrier. Probably the only reason I will jailbreak iOS 7 is for TetherMe.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

"With each successive iPhone generation, Apple has introduced a new processor design that trumps the outgoing version in both efficiency and speed."

Nope. The original iPhone and the iPhone 3G had the exact same performance specs. The baseband/cellular radio with 3G and GPS was the only real difference. That's why it was so crazy to hear Apple say that iOS4 was for 3G and up only because the original iPhone didn't have the performance needed. I'd call it a bald-faced lie except that the iPhone 3G really didn't have the needed performance either. The truth was that they had not sold it in over two years at that point so every user with a 2-year contract was now eligible for an upgrade.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default I just hope that these changes will not be too costly
    Well i just hope that this innovations will not cause the price to suddenly soar up.. that would really be unfortunate...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,989 Times in 4,509 Posts

Suffice it to say that because of posixninja's exploits he's had for months , savung up for ios7 release, we at least shouldn't have to wait until February for a jailbreak as we did for ios5 and 6. . iOS7 is a game changer and this time I'll be getting iPh5S on day 1 as I did for all iPhones except iPh5.. since iOS6 was unimpressive until jailbreak. Just hoping that a fast jailbreak is possible this time.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!