Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5C May Drop Siri, Munster Suspects

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default iPhone 5C May Drop Siri, Munster Suspects

In order to create a low-cost, entry level iPhone capable of giving Apple a bigger footing in the emerging mobile markets around the world, something's got to give. For the rumored plastic iPhone - the so-called iPhone 5C - the iDevice maker may have to make concessions on Siri.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster tells investors that he believes the 5C will sell for $300 or less when introduced next month. The iPhone 4S will effectively be retired as the low-end model in Apple's portfolio and replaced by the iPhone 5C.

An odd prediction? Indeed. But Munster suspects Apple will lose Siri as a means to reduce the internal muscle - and cost - of the "plastic iPhone," which appears to be the biggest consideration for Apple on this forthcoming device.

With regard to the iPhone 5S, Munster's expectations differ very little from other analysts.

Munster's expectations for the next-gen iPhone are "minimal." He said he believes the new phone will feature a fingerprint sensor as a way to unlock the screen. But he doesn't think the sensor will allow users to tap into secure mobile payments. Instead, he said he sees such a feature debuting in the next version of iOS in 2014.
    Current chatter indicates that Apple's iPhone 5C and 5S may be unveiled on September 10th.

Source: CNET

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

posrjak (08-13-2013)

Thanks

...and there is where Apple saves a few $$ which allows this phone to be cheaper. Faster and better camera that's about it for the 5S. I think the 5C may do better..at least you have more than two color choices :]

Thanks

Isn't most of Siri processing done on the server? That is why you could install Siri on an iPhone 4 when jailbroken and it worked fine if you had a valid device key from a 4s device. Only issue is it expired every 24hrs.

Most of what's mentioned in this article was mentioned in the the article posted 12 hours before it. There's also a shitstorm of contention regarding the use of Siri in the previous article.

Such a strange thing to remove. I guess that would cut down on server usage if there's a super-flood of iPhone 5C's sold.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Such a strange thing to remove. I guess that would cut down on server usage if there's a super-flood of iPhone 5C's sold.
    It is very strange since the removal of Siri would be a 2yr step backwards. But on the other hand it might be make it more enticing for people to get the 5s.

Cutting Siri makes no sense to me. Even my old iPod and iPad were able to run Siri with jailbreak tweaks. It's not like the hardware is unable to support Siri so I don't understand how this will save Apple any money.

The only thing it could do is offer an incentive to buy a better phone.. That theory just doesn't make sense to me ... I think they are more likely to make the new cheap version with a lower grade camera and no finger print sensor .. that would actually save apple in production cost.. Siri has been out for a while now so releasing a new product that lacks this feature is silly.

And this is off topic but for some strange reason when I log in I only see the first comment but when I log out I see all comments.. What gives?
    Last edited by oneduality; 08-14-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

iPhone 5-cheap users don't have to worry about not having Siri because there is a better alternative. Google Now., or Google Search for iOS users.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    iPhone 5-cheap users don't have to worry about not having Siri because there is a better alternative. Google Now., or Google Search for iOS users.
    Try harder man.

Anyway the iPhone 5Cheap is cutting out features for a reason. My guess is when it's released the 5S will be more (if not much more expensive) than the previous iPhone 5 when it was first launched. But customers seeing how crappy the 5C is they'll force themselves to buy a more expensive device. Kinda bs if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    Try harder man.

Anyway the iPhone 5Cheap is cutting out features for a reason. My guess is when it's released the 5S will be more (if not much more expensive) than the previous iPhone 5 when it was first launched. But customers seeing how crappy the 5C is they'll force themselves to buy a more expensive device. Kinda bs if you ask me.
    Very interesting. Could it be that $649 16gb Iphones are a thing of the past? This could very well be the case but if so I'd say the Galaxy and HTC One will increase exponentially in popularity.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    Try harder man.

To be fair, Google Now provides a much better UX over Siri.

The hurdle will be processing power and how developers adapt to whatever hardware is used in this device. I could see a LOT of low ratings showing up for apps when this is released due to overinflated expectations from users.

There has to be some catch with the iPhone 5C. Companies do not build new products to save consumers money. It's as simple as that. Look at the hybrids and electric cars. "WOW YOU CAN SAVE A TON ON GAS." But you are just paying upfront when you look at the sticker price.

It makes perfect sense that they'd cut out Siri. "She" depends on a network infrastructure that Westerners take for granted but which just doesn't exist in the markets Apple is trying to sell this phone in.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Amadomon For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (08-14-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Very interesting. Could it be that $649 16gb Iphones are a thing of the past? This could very well be the case but if so I'd say the Galaxy and HTC One will increase exponentially in popularity.
    I hate to say it but if apple is going to try squeezing people for more money I think it will lose customers.

To be fair, Google Now provides a much better UX over Siri.
    I agree, but as the saying goes, "don't feed the trolls."

There has to be some catch with the iPhone 5C. Companies do not build new products to save consumers money. It's as simple as that. Look at the hybrids and electric cars. "WOW YOU CAN SAVE A TON ON GAS." But you are just paying upfront when you look at the sticker price.
    Of course. Like a car manufacturer makes a few different types of models (utility, sports, sedan etc), Apple is trying to take over more of the market by covering the desires of the market. It's all about profit, it's at no benefit to us, which is sort of contradictory to my car manufacturer example.

It makes perfect sense that they'd cut out Siri. "She" depends on a network infrastructure that Westerners take for granted but which just doesn't exist in the markets Apple is trying to sell this phone in.
    You're right! Didn't think about that.