Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype iOS App Updated With HD Video Calls for Fourth-generation iPad & iPhone 5

Default Skype iOS App Updated With HD Video Calls for Fourth-generation iPad & iPhone 5

The free Skype application in the iOS App Store has Monday, August 12, 2013, received an update that brings the popular chat and video/voice calling application to version 4.10.

The update was first released for the iPad version of the application, and then shortly after released for the iPhone/iPod touch version of the application.

Skype for iPad has received HD video calling support for the fourth-generation iPad with retina display, but notably, all other iPads including the iPad Mini and third-generation iPad with retina display do not get the HD video-calling feature in this update. Skype for the iPhone/iPod touch as also received HD video calling support, but only for the iPhone 5.

Other improvements in the application for all iOS devices include call quality and stability enhancements, as well as a re-designed country code picker for calls on the dial pad.

Existing users of the Skype application for iOS will find the update under the Updates tab in the App Store. Alternatively, the latest version of Skype for iPhone/iPod touch can be downloaded for free via this App Store link, while the latest version of Skype for iPad can be downloaded for free via this App Store link.

Sources: App Store

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-12-2013)

I'm not brave enough to try this. Even with non-HD video, Skype video chat is horribly unreliable with dropped calls and poor video quality (on a good 50mbps/25mbps connection). I never have problems with FaceTime; I always have issues with Skype. Microsoft = Steve Balmar = stay far, far away if you know what's good for you ;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL woops.

Edit: being dumb
    Last edited by StuG III; 08-12-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    DO NOT UPDATE. Read the reviews on the app store, Skype is going down the pooper apparently with this new update. Read for yourself.

Those are from 2010...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Also edit for being dumb not sure how I got to the us App Store ..all fixed now --lol
    Last edited by Colwood; 08-13-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iteh_skyss View Post

Those are from 2010...
    Well that's embarassing...

But maybe that's my issue. Back in 2010, I made the mistake of updating ;-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    But maybe that's my issue. Back in 2010, I made the mistake of updating ;-)
    This is true ALthough I think Skype started going downhill when Microsoft bought it in 2011. But who could refuse a sum of 8.5 Billion being offered to them?

No worries it happens to everyone :P

What is the difference between the iPad3 and the iPad4 really? The plug so WHY is the iPad3 missing out on HD video?
    Also with IOS7 the iPad3 is missing out on features the iPad4 is getting.
    WHY do they do that? There is no good reason why the iPad3 is missing out on features. Its powerful enough to do anything the iPad4 can do.
    Thats why I HATE Apple. They make REALLY stupid moves and put stupid restrictions on things that dont need them.
    My iPhone4 can easily run Siri and was for a while but they never gave Siri to it. WHY? We all know it can run it so why not let it?

If people want to start petitions then why not start one for Apple to remove those stupid restrictions. Let the iPad3 have features in IOS7 that the iPad4 will get as there is no reason why it should miss out.