+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Just 13% of Smartphones Shipped Globally in Q2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPhone Just 13% of Smartphones Shipped Globally in Q2

Apple can't catch a break in the headlines this week. Compounding a recent and intense wave of reports indicating that the company's iPad and iPhone are seeing their market shares dwindle amidst growing competition from Android, today's numbers from IDC are only making matters worse for Apple.

Despite beating Wall Street expectations in terms of shipment volumes last quarter, IDC announced Wednesday that Apple's share in the worldwide smartphone operating system market posted a year-over-year decline during the second quarter of 2013.

When the smoke cleared, iOS represented just 13% of smartphone shipments in Q2. What about Android devices? Google's little green robot was on 80% of smartphones shipped globally.

While the dip is dramatic, it's not altogether shocking that Apple's share of shipments has fallen.

"The iOS decline in the second quarter aligns with the cyclicality of iPhone," explains Ramon Llamas, Research Manager with IDC's Mobile Phone team. "Without a new product launch since the debut of the iPhone 5 nearly a year ago, Apple’s market share was vulnerable to product launches from the competition. But with a new iPhone and revamped iOS coming out later this year, Apple is well-positioned to re-capture market share."

Source: IDC

Thanks

Second place is not bad. We all know why the #'s are the way they are. New phone cometh :]

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

If I'm reading IDC's numbers (from the link above) correctly Android sales of 115 million smartphones (subtracting how many Samsung sold) netted a profit of $0.

I'll say that one more time. Excluding Samsung, 115 million Android devices were sold and absolutely no one made a dime on any of those sales. Am I the only person here who thinks those numbers aren't sustainable? We already know HTC is on the verge of bankruptcy.

If the numbers tell us anything it's that Android makers need a new strategy and fast, otherwise in a couple years the smartphone race will be ONLY Samsung versus Apple, instead of iOS versus Android versus WinPhone versus other.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Second place is not bad. We all know why the #'s are the way they are. New phone cometh :]
    +10000. Wonder if the hype will still be their. I know before the iPhone 5 came out people were selling their iPhone 5's on eBay using the delivery date confirmation from apple!!!

Anyway the worlds to big and full of different individuals. To just have one phone/operating system.
    Last edited by mlee19841; 08-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's just all agree. Apple just doesn't have it anymore. In the mobile phone devision at least.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
    Let's just all agree. Apple just doesn't have it anymore. In the mobile phone devision at least.
    Their are strong competitors out there and the numbers are starting to show.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

These comments are just nonsense. 13% of sales nets 53% of profit, all the while only a single competitor is able to exact a successful business model and actually make any money, and yet you commenters think that Apple isn't doing well? Wow! Just wow! My mind is blown.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

How can Apple expect to release one new smart phone a year and stay on top? Android releases several models a year, and the S4 hardware is much nicer than the i5. What's keeping Apple afloat is iOS6! Apple has no excuse for being in second place.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    If I'm reading IDC's numbers (from the link above) correctly Android sales of 115 million smartphones (subtracting how many Samsung sold) netted a profit of $0.

I'll say that one more time. Excluding Samsung, 115 million Android devices were sold and absolutely no one made a dime on any of those sales. Am I the only person here who thinks those numbers aren't sustainable? We already know HTC is on the verge of bankruptcy.

If the numbers tell us anything it's that Android makers need a new strategy and fast, otherwise in a couple years the smartphone race will be ONLY Samsung versus Apple, instead of iOS versus Android versus WinPhone versus other.
    Apple just doesn't have it anymore, in the mobile phone market anyways.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    new phone cameth twice and both times say apples world wide market share decline so what makes you think this time will be different?

off the top of my head, I think apple had about 28% in 2011 then 17% in 2012 now 11% - 13% for 2011. Im betting apple will bottom out at less than 10% by this time next year--please bookmark this page and put a reminder in your calendar.

80% is insane for Android considering apple had a 3yr head start but It couldn't possibly maintain those numbers. so maybe windows phone is the wildcard.