Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Co-CEO of Samsung Talks about Tizen OS as a Possibility for Future Devices

Thanks

Default Co-CEO of Samsung Talks about Tizen OS as a Possibility for Future Devices

As Samsung continues to stray away from relying on Google’s Android platform, the company views its own custom Tizen operating system as a viable alternative that could potentially power the company’s future flagship smartphones. Samsung co-CEO J.K. Shin was very bullish on the prospects for Tizen in an interview with CNET this week, calling the operating system more than a “simple alternative for Android.” He believes that adopting Tizen would allow Samsung to offer customers “cross-convergence” between various products, including smartphones, PCs, cameras, and even outside industries such as cars, biotechnology or banks.

Prototype devices that run Tizen were officially unveiled by Samsung in February at Mobile World Congress as an alternative for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android. Currently, as many of you already probably know, Samsung’s flagship smartphones run the Android operating system. Samsung’s current Android phones are customized with a layer of software and services placed over Google’s mobile operating system. These changes help to differentiate Samsung smartphones from other Android phones on the market but some users also feel the additional software hurts performance and is a downgrade from stock Android.

More recently, Google has opted to begin installing stock Android on handsets made by its Motorola division, ditching the “Motoblur” skin the company had spearheaded before it was acquired. Google is also pushing more aggressively into the hardware space with the launch of the Moto X customizable smartphones from Motorola. As Google begins to encroach on Samsung’s lucrative smartphone hardware business, the South Korean firm may look to reduce its reliance on Google’s Android and adopt a mobile operating system like Tizen, which it has more control over.

Samsung’s potential Android alternative, Tizen, is part of the Linux Foundation and is governed by a technical steering group composed of Samsung and Intel. It currently supports ARM and x86 processors and is designed for smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle navigation systems, television sets and more. We’ll have to wait and see what Samsung does with the operating system and if it can compete in the mobile platform wars.

Source: CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I would like to see then do it just for the consumer benifit. If you have 3 companies constantly battling for the #1 slot it makes innovation go so much faster. Instead of just the back and forth of 2.

Thank God, dude. It's about time. Can they please at least dip their toes into Windows' phone OS too? I'm really tired of it just being iOS vs Android (even though I HUGELY favor iOS over Android); I want to see more and possibly better (even though I'm also completely satisfied with iOS, I understand how good it will be for the market and the innovation that may come that I may never know I ever even wanted) mobile operating systems.

Apple's and Google's binopoly on mobile OSs is just no bueno.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I would like to see then do it just for the consumer benifit. If you have 3 companies constantly battling for the #1 slot it makes innovation go so much faster. Instead of just the back and forth of 2.
    Id like to see a 3rd option also but NOT Samsung. Id rather see Windows Mobile gain some ground.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've tried aliyun os and liked it. its not quite ready to be a daily driver but its close. after another upgrade or two and a couple more features I might switch to it.

Thanks

Not sure why we only have these limited OS options. Need more...like two or three more would be great. For the consumer choice is king.

It's too bad one operating system still dominates the PC market.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Id like to see a 3rd option also but NOT Samsung. Id rather see Windows Mobile gain some ground.
    Highly agree. I'm
    Not against windows mobile OS.
    Samsung relied / relies on to many others. (Product making, OS ect, yes they make hardware for others... But in my eyes they copied everything or used everything)
    They do this it will help them be more independent per say.

But yes i agree with the comment about Windows OS. (When I installed W8 theme on my iP4 I liked it... For the most part) we shud all come
    Together AND MAKE OUR OWN lol jk

Also not against other OS's gaining ground... Would help the consumers in the long run.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

has anybody tried Ubuntu touch or firefox os? kinda curious to hear some feedback on those os's