Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: South Korean Government Not Thrilled with Obama Veto

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default South Korean Government Not Thrilled with Obama Veto

In a move not taken by a sitting U.S. president in decades, over the weekend the Obama Administration vetoed a partial ban on the import and sale of some Apple products, which was granted back in June in a response to a ruling made by the ITC (to read MMi's coverage, click here).

Amidst the fallout from the controversial decision, the South Korean government is said to be thoroughly displeased by the Obama Administration's action. Officials in Seoul fear the move may negatively impact Samsung Electronics Co.'s patent rights.

The Wall Street Journal reported Monday that more than $1 billion was "wiped off Samsung's market value on Monday after the surprise veto." South Korea-based Samsung did not comment today on expectations from the International Trade Commission later this week.

The South Korean government's statement suggests that the legal dispute between the two technology giants could escalate into a political issue depending on the outcome of the ITC's decision.
    "If the presidential veto appears to be used to give advantage to Apple over Samsung, this would be a dangerous precedent that could upset the current good trade relations between the U.S. and South Korea," Mark Newman, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein, tells the WSJ.

Source: WSJ

Next the south will have a big make up with the north and both will threaten the United States as the north has done this year already!

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm... South Korea gets mad at the US. The US stops protecting South Korea. North Korea crosses the DMZ and invades South Korea. One less thing we have to worry about. *shrug*

Seriously though, if the Federal Government is going to start stepping in and protecting corporations they like (read as "who are in control") from patent infringement, that could have a seriously negative impact on small businesses here. Screw the impacts in South Korea! This seems like a REALLY bad move for OUR economic system!

But it's funny that this is a big deal over a 2 year old phone and iPad...

Note: links to WSJ.com can't be seen unless we're subscribers. Are any other sources available?
    Last edited by SirZyrion; 08-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.

nvm
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

After more (a lot) of digging, I found details behind the veto:

Obama iPhone Ban Veto: Why did Obama stop ITC ban on iPhone 4, iPad 2? | BGR

Looks like it may have been the right call.

'Murca!!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Obama made the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SirZyrion View Post
    After more (a lot) of digging, I found details behind the veto:

Obama iPhone Ban Veto: Why did Obama stop ITC ban on iPhone 4, iPad 2? | BGR

Looks like it may have been the right call.

'Murca!!!
    Agreed. Reading some of the comments from you link show that, even when outlined clearly, people still don't understand. Apple refused to agree to Sansungs offer to license FRAND protected patents that required unnecessary non-FRAND patents. Since samsung placed no fair deals on the table Apple did not make a deal.

Samsung should have places a FRAND approved agreement for the patents in this case.

Apple should not have used those patents without a FRAND approved agreement in place.

Both are a fault and essentially void each other as both should have worked together and both choose not to do so. It would make more sense to outline what cost a fair FRAND Approved agreement would have cost per phone and pay that amount to Samsung. No fines. No sale restrictions. Just pay what would have been paid had Samsung made a fair deal. Samsung gets their money. Apple sells their phone. WIN = WIN vs. LOSE = LOSE.
    Last edited by REMED1AL; 08-05-2013 at 03:52 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to REMED1AL For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-05-2013)

Obama making a good decision? Was he using tele prompter?

Comment about US troops protecting Korea? Koreans pay US army to protect them...US isnt there for free...more like mercenaries.. think before open your mouth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I don't know why SK is upset. They seem to favor their own companies over US companies (which is natural but at times unfair). So it's only right that the US govt support Apple.

The Korean War (Police Action) is still going- Congress never ratified an end to it.

I'm not sure why Obama would step in, and I'm not sure I agree (or don't) with his actions, but it doesn't seem to be that big a deal. And, yes, it relates to Apple dumping old stock, not i5s.

Barry Obama is a fool, but it seems as though this veto was justified.

Obama is just being RACIST!
    He's backing the Americans. If it was the other way around and the Samsung devices would get banned I bet her would've let it go ahead.

Hey, South Korea.

Deal with it.

This is America.