+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Survey Shows 95% of Developers are working to Support iOS 7

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Survey Shows 95% of Developers are working to Support iOS 7

App Store developers currently see iOS 7 as important to support, with 95% saying they are actively updating their existing apps to support Apple’s new software and 52% likely to require iOS 7 in order to work. The findings are all based on a survey of 575 iOS developers by Twitterrific developer Craig Hockenberry of The Iconfactory.

Hockenberry noted his own plans to Twitterific working with designer David Lanham. While he described the shipping version of the app as “feeling old and clunky,” the results of overhauling the interface to reflect Apple’s new design for iOS 7 he claims are “stunning.” He continued by stating that iOS 7 is “a lot more work than previous versions of iOS.”

Additionally, Hockenberry noted that “the depth and breadth of the changes in iOS 7 make it difficult to support older versions of the OS,” resulting in the just over half of those replying stating that their updates would require iOS 7 in order to work.” According to him “if you’re a consumer of apps, this is great news: it’s likely that your favorite apps will be ready for action come this fall,” but “if you’re someone who has a device that’s a couple of years old, now’s the time to start thinking about upgrading. Many apps will require a device capable of running iOS 7.”

Since most of the work required to feel native on iOS 7 relates to aspects of the user interface that need to be updated, games that portray their own interface full screen are among those least likely to need any significant updating, and therefore most likely to remain compatible with iOS 6.

That being said, the 94% adoption rate of iOS 6 suggests rapid transition to iOS 7. The figure hasn’t inched up another percentage point on Apple’s site, although Apple hasn’t updated its figures again since the end of June. Apple aggressively pushed developers to support its latest hardware and technologies in iOS 6 last year, including the taller Retina Display introduced on iPhone 5 last year and new features in frameworks related to features such as Passbook, Maps, Game Kit, iCloud, video stabilization and face detection, as well as development features such as auto layout, collection views and state preservation.

This year, in addition to the new appearance, iOS 7 offers developers several features including AirDrop and expanded sharing, new Multitasking support for background updates, Sprit Kit and new Game Center features, iBeacon support for Bluetooth LE, Inter-app Audio for streaming audio between music apps, new Map Kit features for navigation and overlays, high frame rate video capture, custom video composition and barcode scanning.

The Cupertino California company plans to release iOS 7 publicly this fall, in conjunction with new iPhones and iPads and as a free update to existing users dating back to 2010’s iPhone 4 and 2011’s iPad 2.

Source: The IconFactory via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 860 Posts

I'll be honest...and it's not to insult you...but we already assumed this. I don't even have to read the article to know that App Store Devs are working to make their app compatible.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Bet you the modmyi devs are in the 5%. It always takes them forever to update the app. And the iPad modmyi app could use a real overhaul in design. I feel like I'm using an android app or something when I use it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

*T* (08-04-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Bet you the modmyi devs are in the 5%. It always takes them forever to update the app. And the iPad modmyi app could use a real overhaul in design. I feel like I'm using an android app or something when I use it.
    lololol
    Passionate tech blogger, student in college and part time worker at SoldMyDevice.com

Thanks

Survey shows 5% of developers aren't working to support IOS7.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,665 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClutteringUpTheDatabase View Post
    That's definitely good news seeing as how iOS 7 is gonna be the absolute WORST iOS version yet! Only person that anyone should be concerned with working on ANYTHING related to iOS 7 is SAURIK working on WINTERBOARD!
    Hate to burst ur bubble but he hasn't addressed a lot of issues in iOS6, plus he is on the android buzz now. Lets hope he does address these in iOS7 but I have feeling this could fall on deaf ears.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Those 52% of developers who update their apps and require IOS 7 to function will lose me as a customer until there is a jailbreak out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClutteringUpTheDatabase View Post
    Oh no worries you're not bursting my bubble any. I'm doing just fine being Jailbroken on iOS 6.1.2. If I wanted a device on iOS 7 I'd just go get a $hitty a.ss Windows phone. Basically the same thing
    I really don't understand the hatred towards iOS 7. Personally it has almost everything I jailbreak for. The only thing I'm missing is TetherMe and Shrink. Sure there are a few other things that can be annoying but it's only beta 4. Many things could still change before the final release. I haven't had winter board installed since iOS 4, I got over theming. It isn't necessary and just makes things slow down too much.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol. It's very true though. Even when they updated it last time it still didn't really feel right. It already felt outdated and almost useless for more than reading and the occasional comment.

Banned
    Thanks

That just sucks. I hope the jailbreak for IOS7 isn't too long after IOS7 is released as I would hate to loose the jailbreak and all the awesome apps it brings.

Would be nice if Apple stopped the anti-jailbreak fight as its LEGAL so they are only fighting themselves for no good reason. Do they hate their customers that bad? No wonder Androids are so popular.
    I did make a comment today that the iPhone would be an awesome phone if it wasn't made by Apple. I think a lot of people would agree.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    I did make a comment today that the iPhone would be an awesome phone if it wasn't made by Apple. I think a lot of people would agree.
    Definitely disagree with that. The fact that apple made the iPhone and put so much time into the design of the product and the polish of the OS is what has made it an awesome phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

So true about the ModMyI iPad app. This app feels like a cheap ripoff. I can't even quote comments In a reply. Given that we get our latest news here it's a shame this app is so far behind the website. And what is up with two different overplayed ads at the bottom of the screen? One from iAd and the other from I dunno. It makes it nigh impossible to select anything below it. What a shame.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    So true about the ModMyI iPad app. This app feels like a cheap ripoff. I can't even quote comments In a reply. Given that we get our latest news here it's a shame this app is so far behind the website. And what is up with two different overplayed ads at the bottom of the screen? One from iAd and the other from I dunno. It makes it nigh impossible to select anything below it. What a shame.
    The modmyi app for my iPad and iPhone look exactly the same and function the same. The only oddity is the loading screen on the iPad in landscape.

Thanks

I would be happy with just an app that worked. This app is terrible.

Thanks

I only have the iPhone modmyi app, In my opinion, it's far better than the website is. Every time I go to the desktop site, I feel like I'm going to get virus on my computer.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Excellent (Mr. Burns voice)

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not a huge the icons but in terms of Toggles and other features from jailbreak community.....finally!! I'm not worried bout icons cz as buddy said I'm just curious when We'll have a jailbreak cz Winterboard solves the problem =)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    You can always leave the forum. That would be my suggestion.