+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iPhone Supposedly Kept T-Mobile in the Competition

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's iPhone Supposedly Kept T-Mobile in the Competition

A recently released study from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners estimates that between 300,000 and 400,000 total customers who would have otherwise left T-Mobile wound up staying with the carrier in the wake of the iPhone’s launch. According to The Wall Street Journal, CIRP’s estimate is based on a survey of 500 phone activations occurring between April and June, with about 75 of those phone activations being on T-Mobile.

Even when the carrier didn’t officially offer the iPhone, T-Mobile was somewhat reliant on Apple’s handset. As many as one in five of T-Mobile’s customers were using unlocked versions of the iPhone on the carrier’s network before the carrier officially launched the device on their network. A survey of T-Mobile’s customers found that among those planning to change devices in the coming year, 28% of them planned to upgrade to an iPhone.

Following the device’s launch in April, T-Mobile touted a “gangbusters” first day of sales and there were many reports of customers lining up outside of T-Mobile stores to get their hands on the iPhone 5. In the first month after launch, T-Mobile reported selling more than half of a million iPhones. If the carrier manages to slow, stop, or reverse customer migration, it would signal increased competition in the wireless segment. As of right now, T-Mobile’s competitors have continually benefited from the carrier’s struggles, adding those customers that the network regularly shed. The addition of the iPhone as well as mobile plan pricing structures, have given the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S. a better chance to compete against its much larger competitors.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Cool story bro

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So 1 out of 5 T-Mobile customers were buying iPhones off contract and being stuck with EDGE, then T-Mobile offers an iPhone with a contract-like plan that's compatible with their HSPA+ and LTE networks and only 1 out of 4 plan to upgrade?

Seems legit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    So 1 out of 5 T-Mobile customers were buying iPhones off contract and being stuck with EDGE, then T-Mobile offers an iPhone with a contract-like plan that's compatible with their HSPA+ and LTE networks and only 1 out of 4 plan to upgrade?

Seems legit.
    Lmao right?

Thanks

lol good point
    Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post

Seems legit.
    Passionate tech blogger, student in college and part time worker at SoldMyDevice.com

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

To be honest, I don't see the iPhone currently being that big of deal.

My wife just got the Galaxy S4 on Saturday and I have to say that it does have many truly innovative features that make the iPhone look like a toy.
    Here are just a few:
    Facial and voice Recognition for Unlocking the phone
    Picture in Picture Video and Photos allowing both the front and rear cameras to be used at once
    Quick removal of moving objects in pictures
    Smile detection when taking photos
    Able to be a remote for TVs, etc.
    Able to run two apps at once
    Easily changeable battery (yes, this is actually a big deal, because you can buy a second battery fairly inexpensively and keep it charged, although this one is not really innovative)

These are just a few that I have seen since Saturday. And yes, many can be accomplished on the iPhone with Apps and/or Jailbreaking, but ALL of these are built-in functions out of the box.

I personally will probably never switch to Android, simply because of the number of apps that I have purchased, but I have to say that the iPhone is becoming less and less the go to phone that it once was and unless Apple steps up with the next phone, I can see many more switching. If Google ever came up with a way to be able to get free copies of the iOS apps that you have already purchased, I would definitely consider switching. I would even consider it if they came up with ways to get copies at a reduced price.