+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android Obliterates iOS with 80% of All Q2 Global Smartphone Shipments

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Android Obliterates iOS with 80% of All Q2 Global Smartphone Shipments

Setting a record for Android and delivering another critical blow to iOS, the latest research from Strategy Anlaytics shows that global smartphone shipments grew 47 percent annually to reach 230 million units in the second quarter of 2013. And of those smartphones shipped, a staggering 80% of them were Android devices.

"Global smartphone shipments grew 47 percent annually from 156.5 million units in Q2 2012 to 229.6 million in Q2 2013," says Scott Bicheno, Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics. "Growth was driven by strong demand for Android models across all price-tiers in developed and developing markets, such as the US, China and Brazil. Android now accounts for an impressive 8 in 10 of all smartphones shipped on the planet."

Although everyone knows Android devices are increasing in popularity and prevalence at a quick pace, by all accounts, few were expecting to learn this week from Strategy Analytics that 8 out of every 10 smartphones shipped worldwide last quarter were Android devices.

Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics, also believes that Android's growth was the show-stealer for Q2 on the global smartphone stage.

"The Android operating system captured a record 80 percent share of all smartphones shipped worldwide in the second quarter of 2013," Mawston says. "Competitive licensing costs, numerous hardware partners and a large apps store continue to be among the main drivers of Androidís success. Apple iOS reached 14 percent global smartphone share in the quarter, its lowest level since Q2 2010. Microsoft slotted into third position with 4 percent share, reaching its highest level in the global smartphone market for three years."

Source: Strategy Analytics

Thanks

One phone VS many. I want to see the #'s after the 5S and so called 5C drop..that will be very interesting indeed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

I've just bought the HTC One its like a lump of marble the only plastic that in the HTC is the 4G chip
    5c it's plastic apple have lost the plot

Thanks
    Thanked 8,456 Times in 4,293 Posts

Yeah.. these comparisons are always "loaded" because of the many competitors versus 1..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Remind me again, how many Android devices there are vs. IOS devices

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are these actual numbers of phones sold to users or just shipped to retailers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    One phone VS many. I want to see the #'s after the 5S and so called 5C drop..that will be very interesting indeed.
    This exactly not only that but these are "SHIPPED" units. They could have shipped a bunch of phones and they can be still sitting at stores or warehouses etc. Just because they shipped more phones doesnt mean they sold more than Apple. Another bs tactics report. Why not show "sold" figures. Android has so many phones that they give away for free meaning that they are not being sold. Wait til they 5S comes out. The iphone 5 still sold more than the galaxy S3 when they both came out. Shipped doesnt mean ****.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Shipped to anywhere. Consumer or reseller. So how many of those androids are still on shelves is a damn good question.

Thanks

Apple knows these statistics are true, even if you look at them through the filter of 3 apple models vs hundreds of Android.

This is why I didn't understand many of the elitist people that didn't want poorer people allowed in their precious "walled garden" via entry level hardware.

I only got into iPhones because I got a really cheap 3G when a friend upgraded to a 3GS, then I fell in love and had to have every new model after that. Plus I've spent so much on iOS apps that it makes little sense to switch to android now.

If Apple doesn't act soon it could be macos/windows all over again. I'm not saying the sky is falling, just that they have to remain competitive to stay on top.

Thanks

Shipped really means nothing when compared to sales/profits of units sold, androids numbers may still be higher but this comparison is 3 Apple phones vs 50+ android phones from a dozen manufacturers and its shipments not SALES!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone itsjustlenny's Avatar
    Thanks

Honda obliterated ferrari shipping 80% more hondas than Ferrari Testarosas. Still not adding up.

Thanks

There are no statistics that show how many android phones sold. Apple is unique in having that stat because they have stores and sell directly online. Many people are waiting till the 5s drops to buy an iPhone at this point. You might as well just buy an android device whenever because a new one will be out a month or two later.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Shipments are one thing sales of a Quality Apple product and money in the bank are another like the previous poster well talk after the 5sand 5c are released .

*T*
    Thanks

Growth space for Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually apple sells the 4,4s,and 5 as of right now. That's 3 phones for people who can't add. LOL

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

These articles aren't relevant. It's one iPhone mainly the 5 since its the newest vs how many new android devices. Even tho apple sells the 4, and 4s. It's still has to compete with the s2,s3,s4 all the Motorola devices as well on each different carrier.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    lmao. its not one phone vs many, when will you apple fab boys realise that. its iOS vs Android. people are not choosing Android phones over Phones, they're choosing one OS over another. Its nobody's fault but apple if iOS is only available on apple products.

apple could easily turn things around if they really wanted to but don't think they care one bit about market share or the price of apple stock as long as they make tons of money.

people said the same things you're saying when the iPhone 5 came out yet apple still lost market share and has been every year.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (08-02-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    lmao. its not one phone vs many, when will you apple fab boys realise that. its iOS vs Android. people are not choosing Android phones over Phones, they're choosing one OS over another. Its nobody's fault but apple if iOS is only available on apple products.

apple could easily turn things around if they really wanted to but don't think they care one bit about market share or the price of apple stock as long as they make tons of money.

people said the same things you're saying when the iPhone 5 came out yet apple still lost market share and has been every year.
    I love how you waste your time by posting downright illogical arguments on this forum. It's amusing. I don't even need to give anymore of a response. Enjoy your virus riddled, fragmented OS.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to petrusk For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (08-02-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Smh every time people mention it's one phone vs. many. Like all Android users would get an iPhone if their particular phone wasn't available.

Thanks

This guy gets it.