+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BlackBerry Messenger Beta to Begin Rolling Out for iOS and Android Devices

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default BlackBerry Messenger Beta to Begin Rolling Out for iOS and Android Devices

According to the folks over at BlackBerryOS the beta version of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) has started rolling out in the Beta Zone for Android and iOS devices. The Beta Zone, which is similar to Apple’s Developer Center, started sending out the invites to select registered users today, with more expected to follow in the upcoming days and weeks. The site has also leaked several screenshots of the Android version of the app but screenshots of the iOS version don’t appear to be available yet.

The beta is said to require iOS 6.0 or later according to Vivek Bhardwaj, the head of BlackBerry Software Portfolio who spoke to Trusted Reviews a few weeks ago. Announced in May for a summer release, BBM is expected to hit Google Play and the App Store sometime next month. There hasn’t been an official date confirmation as of yet following an announcement from T-Mobile UK having claimed a June 27 launch date.

For those of you who don’t know (or don’t remember), BBM is the proprietary messaging solution among BlackBerry devices and requires the use of a “PIN” – an eight character hexadecimal identification number that is uniquely assigned to every device. Currently there isn’t any information about how BlackBerry users will add iOS or Android devices to their contacts, although the most obvious solution would be through either a phone number or e-mail address.

This move indicates the first time the BlackBerry software has been available on other smartphones and marks a radical shift in the management of the Canadian-based manufacturer. From 2012 onwards, BlackBerrys have gradually been dropping in popularity with the latest reports indicating that the BlackBerry OS worldwide accounted for just 3.7% of smartphone usage in July 2013, compared with 38.3% for Android, 24.8% for iOS and 14.4% for Nokia’s S40 platform.

We’ll have to wait and see when the service is released for the Android and iOS platform and how it fairs.

Source: BlackBerryOS

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Will be free but heavy on ads so bb can try and raise some funds before their office equipment is repossessed lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpySod For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (08-01-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

And I thought BB was already dead...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
    Will be free but heavy on ads so bb can try and raise some funds before their office equipment is repossessed lol
    A quality enterprise worthy service such as BBM will definitely not be spammed with ads.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Why would anyone use this?

Thanks

BBM is wayyyyy better then iMessage, it has more features also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    BBM is wayyyyy better then iMessage, it has more features also.
    Like what?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Never used BBM, do not know how it is..

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goody72 View Post
    Like what?
    It's too hard to explain you would have to use it its like aim messenger back in the day but 1000x times better every single person I met would talk thru bbm I can't wait for this I miss getting girls pins in the club instead of phone numbers...for some reason they always answered bbm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    And I thought BB was already dead...
    So did I... it's back from the dead. When will it just go away!
    Passionate tech blogger, student in college and part time worker at SoldMyDevice.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LucySterling For This Useful Post:

LudaChris (08-02-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    BBM these days is pointless, especially on anything other than a Blackberry in an age where people generally have free texts, use iMessage amongst iOS users, and the ever-growing popularity of whatsapp. Sorry BB you're at least 3 years too late with this one.....FLOP

Green Apple
    Thanks

This will be a big hit outside the US. Also a big hit for people in the US who have friends, business associates overseas who use BBM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's the thing I would use it for, you can share your screen live (or Atleast on the actually blackberry Z10 version you can.) that could be very helpful and useful, on android then can incorporate that feature. On iDevices it'll be tough because that's against the App Store policies. So if they don't have that feature it's not worth it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billbraskey View Post
    Why would anyone use this?
    I would in a minute. BBM is/was amazing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I want to try this out, ugh

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    It's too hard to explain you would have to use it its like aim messenger back in the day but 1000x times better every single person I met would talk thru bbm I can't wait for this I miss getting girls pins in the club instead of phone numbers...for some reason they always answered bbm
    Not even a single bbm user has actually been able to explain how its better than the free whatsapp and tons of other messengers which have been cross platform for so long.
    I personally feel that blackberry owners are a little stupid because they spend $$$ on services which others offer for free, and that too on edge network!
    And i can get girl's numbers and actually have them reply. It takes some personality, not a pin to talk to girls.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Not even a single bbm user has actually been able to explain how its better than the free whatsapp and tons of other messengers which have been cross platform for so long.
    I personally feel that blackberry owners are a little stupid because they spend $$$ on services which others offer for free, and that too on edge network!
    And i can get girl's numbers and actually have them reply. It takes some personality, not a pin to talk to girls.
    Im an iphone junkie since the very first gen
    but my daughter used to be addicted to blackberry's bbm for years till i converted her to iphone..
    in a nutshell:

bbm was the first to offer imessage type service via data connection, but one step further... you dont need a data plan cause it went encrypted through blackberry's own enterprise server.. this was huge to low budget oriented users like teens (no text limits and faster sms.. no limits to out of country chatting etc).. this alone attracted many.. as well as first to have group chatting then an "exclusive club" type thing formed where everyone who was anyone had bbm.

it is almost the same as computer chat programs like MSN messenger, Skype, AIM or gchat.

nothing to do with your phone number associated to your phone, it works with the PIN number which can not be changed (so u dont need to get a girl's phone number which is kinda personal.. instead just need her pin which is more anonymous.. girls feel more secure from creeps.. hence the "get a girls pin" comment.. its true lol

bbm has proprietary things like:
    profile emotions
    built in emoticons
    ability to block bbm users at will
    ability to let people know before they text u whether you want to chat or are busy or mad/upset/happy, thus allowing people to bbm u only if its important etc..
    send voice notes as well as pics/vids
    bbm is like having a direct connection with another bbm user.. like a private message.. same with group chats.. a group chat looks very much like this forum when chatting

its true with a jail broken phone u can get these features too,, and using some other programs like gchat can get u most.. but these are standard feature of bbm.. and has been for 7+ years.

and no one program has them all except bbm

the most important thing about bbm from my understanding is the "exclusive club" thing i mentioned... if all your friends and contacts have it.. so will you.. there are too many text type bbm wannabe program's out there but not everyone uses only one.. everyone used bbm.. this in my opinion is the ONLY reason RIM still exists today... iphone rolled over it and crushed it.. had iphone come out with a true bbm alternative before.. i doubt there would be a rim today... same could be said about RIM.. if they came out with a true iphone type contender 5-7 years ago like samsung/android/windows have... the cell phone world would have been a different place with iphone being much less popular and blackberry's being where iphone is now.. jmho

but i will say now the same what i said when i got my gen 1 iphone (gen 1 iphone was never sold in canada.. had to take a drive to the USA to grab one..) i wouldnt trade it for the world

imessage still lacks in encryption and status/profile.. built in stuff like emoticons and stuff as well as any ability to block users or hide.
    and email is not as impersonal like a pin number is

when bbm is released for iphone.. i will be first to install it.. and my life will be complete as my daughter is telling me.. i will have the very best of everything phone related lol
    Last edited by jerry69; 08-06-2013 at 09:25 AM.