+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Play Surpasses App Store in Downloads but Still Lags Behind in Revenue

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Google Play Surpasses App Store in Downloads but Still Lags Behind in Revenue

According to a recent study, Google Play for Android has finally surpassed its rival app repository but the App Store still maintains a strong edge in terms of revenue generated for developers. The figures come from the App Annie blog, which measured app downloads in the second quarter of 2013 along with other indicators. App Annie found that Google Play downloads exceeded App Store downloads by 10% in the quarter, attributing that growth in no small part to app download growth in developing markets such as Russia, China, Brazil and India.

The fact that Google Play has only now just surpassed the App Store in terms of downloads is likely a testament to the greater engagement of iOS device owners with their devices. Android is estimated to run roughly three out of four mobile devices shipped worldwide but at least one-third of those running a year-old version of the Android OS, meaning that they may not be as well able to access recent apps and their users may not be downloading as many apps.

Google Play has also surpassed the App Store in terms of overall app volume. The Play Store now counts more than one million apps in its library while the App Store, according to the last count, has just over 900,000. Apple’s offering though, beats Google when it comes to tablet-optimized apps, with 375,000 apps built for the iPad while Google struggles to get developers to optimize their apps for the myriad of Android tablets.

The App Store also beats Google in what may be considered the most important category as well: overall revenue generated both for the store and for developers hosted therein. App Annie’s study found that the App Store generated 2.3 times the revenue of the Play Store, despite the Play Store’s 10% advantage in overall downloads. The figure was slightly down from the 2.6 times figure that App Annie found in its previous examination of the market. The revenue gap has resulted in a competitive edge for Apple in terms of app quality and developer loyalty. Developers with App Store offerings have made more than $11 billion in sales since the store’s opening, with half of that coming in the last four quarters.

We’ll have to see how the market evolves with all the changes both tech giants continue to push for with their future plans.

Source: App Annie (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Apple also wins when it comes down to overall quality of the apps released as well as your personal security.

Why can't Android just die...

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Sorry i'll take quality over quantity any day LOL What's google play ratio? 3:1? 3 crapware apps to 1 good app LMAO

Thanks

Why should android just die? I've never owned an android device, but the competition forces iOS to not become too stale.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i113 For This Useful Post:

2k1 (07-31-2013), punjabi212 (07-31-2013)

Thanks

as someone who has just moved over to a s4 after 4 years or so with iphones i have to say im very very impressed. amazing screen.. oddles of customisation (something thats so lacking on iphone) and i can install apps downloaded with having to faff around with a stupid jailbreak (assuming its available for the version of ios you have). i can output my phones display to my smarttv without wires. i can dump music, videos etc direct to my phone without itunes (or similar) onto my cheap 64gb sd card. oh and google store imo doesnt have any worse amount of crap apps than itunes has... unfortunately it will take a lot from apple to get me back to an iphone

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    as someone who has just moved over to a s4 after 4 years or so with iphones i have to say im very very impressed. amazing screen.. oddles of customisation (something thats so lacking on iphone) and i can install apps downloaded with having to faff around with a stupid jailbreak (assuming its available for the version of ios you have). i can output my phones display to my smarttv without wires. i can dump music, videos etc direct to my phone without itunes (or similar) onto my cheap 64gb sd card. oh and google store imo doesnt have any worse amount of crap apps than itunes has... unfortunately it will take a lot from apple to get me back to an iphone
    You can display your screen to a tv with an iPhone without cords.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    Apple also wins when it comes down to overall quality of the apps released as well as your personal security.
    There are reasons why Android has less quality apps. APPLE.

Apple won a few lawsuits which hold back Android. There is one where the touchscreen is too responsive, one about the quality of apps or something like that, and a few which overall hold back Android from equaling or overtaking Apple in the quality it can give.

So next time you try to say "Android apps are crap" then think of the reason why. Apple sued them and won so Apple are the real reason why Android apps arn't as good.

THATS why I brought a Galaxy S4 and stopped giving money to a stupid company that instead of making better products they make lawsuits and lower the quality of the competition instead.

I still got an iPad thats why I'm still on this forum.

Oh, and with the two stores, of course Google Play will be behind in revenue. Its because 80% of apps in Google Play are free where 80% of apps in the Apple Store are paid apps.
    Its not hard to do the maths if you live outside the US.
    80% is higher than 20% so of course it makes more money.
    Last edited by smith01; 07-31-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post

Apple won a few lawsuits which hold back Android. There is one where the touchscreen is too responsive, one about the quality of apps or something like that, and a few which overall hold back Android from equaling or overtaking Apple in the quality it can give.

So next time you try to say "Android apps are crap" then think of the reason why. Apple sued them and won so Apple are the real reason why Android apps arn't as good.

THATS why I brought a Galaxy S4 and stopped giving money to a stupid company that instead of making better products they make lawsuits and lower the quality of the competition instead.

Oh, and with the two stores, of course Google Play will be behind in revenue. Its because 80% of apps in Google Play are free where 80% of apps in the Apple Store are paid apps.
    SO your saying its Apples fault for all the crappy malware and virus infected apps in the Google play store? My buddy is a big time Android fan and even he admits that there is a bunch of crappy apps and custom roms on the Google play LOL.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Googles play and the App Store are 100% different....

Professional service is with apple.
    Want some bogus filled with a pile of nothing use googles play

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post

Really? That's why you spent $249 and committed to a two year contract (or spent $649)? You did that just to prove a point to a company that for all practical purposes exists only as an intangible abstraction for you to direct your hatred toward. That's pathetic. Try this next time you buy a new phone: get something you enjoy using with apps and services that best meet your needs. Maybe that will be an iPhone, perhaps an Android device, or even something made by Nokia.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    SO your saying its Apples fault for all the crappy malware and virus infected apps in the Google play store? My buddy is a big time Android fan and even he admits that there is a bunch of crappy apps and custom roms on the Google play LOL.
    The play store doesn't have custom ROMs on it. Most apps on the play store don't have virus's or malware. What all apps do show though is the permissions that that app shall use so if you download a fart app which wants access to your contacts list then whose fault is it?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Very Unfortunate
    This truly is an unfortunate turn of events even i didnt see this coming...most of us suppose that Google play is a leader in every endeavor that they take up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wouldn't it make sense that The App Store's growth would slow as its market is more mature? I've had an iPhone for years and I don't download as much new stuff as I used to because I have what I need. Someone on Android hasn't had as many to choose from for as long so they would have more to look for.

Thanks

No brainer there are more Android devices out there. Most of the apps are free..and should be considering their quality or lack there of.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would you want it to die? That's a foolish thing to say. Competition is a good thing. It keeps things moving forward.

Banned
    Thanks

I was waiting for this.

1. what proof or info do you have that the app store has better more or more quality apps than Google Play? 1M apps for Google, 900k for Apple so nearly 2 million apps to compare. 1% of 1% still leaves you with 10,000 apps from Google and 9,000 from Apple that you would need to compare. If you only look at the top paid and top free apps of both stores they're nearly identical. the only real advantage the app store has is games, and that's the crowd apple feeds upon.

2. personal security? another favorite lie apple fans like to spread but here's some 2013 data for you.

iOS more likely to leak personal data: iOS apps leak more personal data than do Android apps - report

iPhone more vulnerable: iPhone Found To Be More Vulnerable Than Windows Phone, BlackBerry And Android Smartphones, According To New Report | Redmond Pie

the revenues being made is Google vs apple., developers on the other and make about $470 more on iOS than they do on Android AND most of apple's revenues (I think around 40%) comes from Games so there you have it.

Games is the app store money maker, not all apps.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

Channan (08-01-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This comment is so sad.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Sorry i'll take quality over quantity any day LOL What's google play ratio? 3:1? 3 crapware apps to 1 good app LMAO
    proof? any links? can you site any credible studies that suggest there are more quality apps in the app store than on Play? comparing just 1% of 1% equals nearly 20,000 apps combined so whose taken the time and utilized the resources to compare the quality of either store's apps?

there are many file explorer apps in both stores but name just one in the app store that lets you browse all the directories on your iDevice or install an app? a file explorer's function is to explore and be able to use what you find. so in that sense there are way more quality apps on Play.

Quality is relative

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    No brainer there are more Android devices out there. Most of the apps are free..and should be considering their quality or lack there of.
    links? NO? of course not.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 08-01-2013 at 07:45 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

The argument for AppStore apps being of higher quality than those of the Play Store doesn't need support beyond the numbers provided in the article. It's simple economics. Developers net a larger return on their iOS investment than their Android investment, in the aggregate, so if one equates developer investment to app quality then clearly the AppStore should, on average, provide higher quality apps. If that's not case then a million developers are clearly practicing bad economics. The math is simple. With limited resources a smart person will invest in that which yields the largest return. Developers realize iOS users, on average, pay more for their devices, purchase more accessories, and buy more software than their Android counterparts. Can anyone dispute anything I've written?
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Well I Have 7" Android Tablet.. App Quality Is So Bad.. Most Of The Apps Are Stretched To Fit The Screen.. All The Free Apps Have Huge Advertisments On Them.. Not A Single Music Player Optimised For Tablet..
    Then There Are Crap Load Of Widgets 85% Of Widgets Are Useless..
    Then There Are 100000000x Task Killers, Live Wallpapers, Ringtones, Tweaks ETC And All In Android OS Known As APPS..
    If You Add All These vWallpapers, Tweaks, Ringtones, Themes From Cydia Then Play Store Cant Compete Apple..
    Then My Tablet Gets Sluggish When RAM Goes Under 150Mb.. Android Keeps Every Process Running Even If You Remove The App From Multitasking Bar..
    Android Is A Complete Copy Of Symbian OS., Then They Stole Touch System From Apple.. Put Them In UIFrameworke.apk & SystemUI.apk Wola Here Is Android OS...
    Then Every Chinese Crap Tablet & Phone Has Android.. While Apple Has Only 15 - 16 Devices.. Beat It..
    Dont Compair AppStore With Play Store.. You Even Stole The Name "Store".. Many Things You Stole From Us.. Dont Have Time For That..
    Last edited by ZealFied; 08-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.