+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple, Samsung Claim Bulk of Smartphone Profits

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Apple, Samsung Claim Bulk of Smartphone Profits

Here's a newsflash. Apple and Samsung are still - overwhelmingly - the two biggest players on the smartphone scene today, with each claiming a nearly identical dominant share of total smartphone revenue.

According to Cannacord analyst Michael Walkley, Apple claimed 53 percent of smartphone profits in Q2 of 2013, which is down 4% from Q1. Nonetheless, Apple's share remains a handsome one in the face of stiff competition from Samsung. The South Korean tech titan saw its share of smartphone industry profits climb from 43 percent in Q1 to 50 percent in Q2.

Sales of Samsung’s Galaxy S4 and Apple’s iPhone 5 have been especially strong during the summer months... so much so that the two companies now account for 103% of industry profits combined.
    The Financial Post reports that the only excitement in this race pertains to third place, where Nokia, BlackBerry and other Android-centered manufacturers like HTC Corp., ZTE Corp. and LG Electronics Inc. are fighting to determine who is going to be next in line to Apple and Samsung.

To be fair, of course, the distance between third and second place isn't really a "gap." It's the Grand Canyon.

Source: The Financial Post

Thanks

Says a lot. The main players are far ahead of the game.

Banned
    Thanks

which is why we need a 3rd player to even things out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    which is why we need a 3rd player to even things out.
    I'm surprised HTC didn't do way better than they did. I thought their phone looked pretty damn nice.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

These numbers are interesting but I'm confused about how Samsung's profit margin is less than half of Apple's per device. I realize that Android manufactures desperately play the spec game and that drives the unit cost per device up, but not by double. These numbers make very little sense, unless the vast majority of Samsung's sales continue to be the low-margin budget market that Apple refuses to touch. Certainly Samsung's profits would be higher if they were selling more flagship devices.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.