+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Caught Cheating on Galaxy S4 Benchmarks

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Caught Cheating on Galaxy S4 Benchmarks

The Samsung Galaxy S4 runs an Exynos 5 Octa central processing unit with multiple cores and a GPU or graphical processing unit which operates at 480 MHz GPU. In February a forum member at Beyond3D suggested that Samsung overclocks the GPU to 532 MHz while running benchmarking tests that are intended to showcase how powerful the processing unit is, while throttling it to just 380 MHz when in actual use. The folks over at AnandTech recently tested and researched the claims and discovered code that Samsung uses to speed up the processor when (and only when) running popular speed testing suites such as GLBenchmark, AnTuTu, or Quadrant.

Now some may refer to such a situation as optimization while others might claim that it helps save battery. Most are saying it’s just plain cheating though. The switch seems to have real, everyday consequences as many people make decisions on which device to buy based on performance. It’s not just the GPU either though; AnandTech discovered that the same thing happens with the CPU.

Certain benchmarking suites such as GLBenchmark, trigger the CPU to jump to 1.2 GHz, while others such as GFXBench, are not triggered and use a default CPU speed with lower performance, at just 250 MHz. Other benchmarking apps trigger different CPU speeds, with Linpack inspiring Samsung to offer up 1.6 GHz and Snapdragon hitting the same heights as GLBenchmark 1.9 GHz.

The South Korean electronics giant apparently uses a settings application, TwDVFSApp.apk, which includes hard-coded CPU settings for the different benchmarks, among them a “boost mode” that kicks the CPU and GPU into high gear. Trying to game benchmarks is not technically something new, it’s been happening ever since enthusiasts started comparing Apple’s PowerPC processors to Intel’s x86 CPUs. In most cases however, what’s going on is a deliberate attempt to maximize the attractiveness and perceived power of a certain chip while reserving the power for artificial testing situations.

How do you feel about the whole situation?

Source: AnandTech, Beyond3D (Forums) (Thanks to MMi user Daniel DelVisco for sending this one in)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

Shame on you Samsung, but this is no where near as bad as eBook price fixing.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,015 Times in 6,206 Posts

^Troll. Samsung is such junk!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-31-2013), Norb (07-31-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Um, yes it is just as bad as iBook pricing. Samdung has a history of dishonesty, try supporting an American Company you Samdung drones. Or maybe you should go live in Korea. If our dumb *** government and certain citizens would support American companies we would once again be a world leader instead of the laughing stock of the world lately. You American Samdung fans are an embarrassment. I won't spend any of my time reading your dribble, whinny replies. Anti American Fools

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Weather it's cars or iPhones or S4's whatever. Manufacturers are going to bump up the stats - car mpg done at 80kph for example. Do your homework. Talk to owners. Try before you buy and pay little attention to advertising hype.

Thanks

Shamesung, still rings true.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 8lias For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-31-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Are you the resident troll?

Nevertheless I find your attempts hilarious.
    Last edited by StuG III; 07-30-2013 at 10:00 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StuG III For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (07-30-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post

Hahahaha.. I feel so to!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

This is nothing new. Why do people feel the need to insult others when they don't agree with what they say jeez...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Feanor64 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-31-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why am I not surprised?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    Um, yes it is just as bad as iBook pricing. Samdung has a history of dishonesty, try supporting an American Company you Samdung drones. Or maybe you should go live in Korea. If our dumb *** government and certain citizens would support American companies we would once again be a world leader instead of the laughing stock of the world lately. You American Samdung fans are an embarrassment. I won't spend any of my time reading your dribble, whinny replies. Anti American Fools
    Why does it have to be about supporting a company just because it's American? when realistically the company doesn't give a toss about you, only your money.

Maybe some American companies should step up their game and build an android phone that far exceeds Samsungs rather than blaming Samsung for throwing in quality internals. Or to match the HTC in looks and power.

Choice is good.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Why am I not surprised?
    Stealing ideas from Apple and now this are you really that desperate Sam junk. I guess so!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

How about LCD screen price-fixing, which Samsung has been busted on, more than once I think.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Shame on Samsung, there's a big difference between optimizing and plain CHEATING ... *Points finger in disappointment =|

Green Apple
    Thanks

ROFL....

Yea, instead support American company that manufactures vast majority of its products in China and keeps most of its made money overseas so it doesn't have to pay taxes in the US...

You are truly a smart one!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    ROFL....

Yea, instead support American company that manufactures vast majority of its products in China and keeps most of its made money overseas so it doesn't have to pay taxes in the US...

You are truly a smart one!!!
    EXACTLY! Sense evades many!

Thanks

Most if not all business follow that model^^ Apple is not alone in protecting its assets. What I find funny is that anything Apple does it scrutinized like a murder scene. Samsung could do the same thing and it wouldn't even make the paper hahaha! Galaxy S4 is not outselling anything..in the end its funny not competition

Green Apple
    Thanks

Samsung employs about 14000 Americans. You go to any major US city (NYC, SF, LA, Houston), they have huge skyscrapers set up. Quit being a dumbass.

Thanks

My best friend is back, it's been so long since you spewed your garbage here... I've almost missed you!

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post

He is, he took a break for a while when I called him out last time. He apparently decided to come back for round two.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    Samsung employs about 14000 Americans. You go to any major US city (NYC, SF, LA, Houston), they have huge skyscrapers set up. Quit being a dumbass.
    I don't care how many buildings Samsung has or how many people they employ stateside. They are a foreign company and they do not fairly compete with American companies, including Apple. Korean companies, like their Chinese counterparts, are heavily state subsidized. American companies are not. As such, they needn't be as creative or efficient to compete in the marketplace. Try supporting your country for a change.

US department says Korea violates subsidy rules
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.