+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HTC Reduces Focus on High-End Smartphones as it Forecasts its First-Ever Operating Loss

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default HTC Reduces Focus on High-End Smartphones as it Forecasts its First-Ever Operating Loss

In perhaps another sign that the premium smartphone market may be maturing, the struggling handset maker, HTC, has predicted its first-ever operating loss. The company revealed its plans to concentrate more on mid-range phones as a result. HTC’s operating margin was just 1.5% in the third quarter but the company has forecast a range of zero to negative 8% operating margins in the third quarter.

The Taiwanese smartphone maker revealed it plans to launch a range of “innovative and competitive mid-tier products in the coming months.” HTC executives acknowledged that it has not been competitive in the mid-range smartphone market where the industry seems to be seeing the most growth as of right now.

This announcement comes as Apple is rumored to be planning to release its own new mid-range smartphone. For those of you who are unaware of what is being referred to, there are rumors afloat suggesting that Apple will release a new, less expensive iPhone model with a plastic back in the coming months. This of course would be alongside a new high-end model as well.

The changes with HTC mark a contrast from last year, when Chief Executive Peter Chou touting his company’s insistence on using high-quality materials to build premium smartphones. This strategy eroded HTC’s margins and has now prompted the company to attempt to lower its build costs and sell mid-range smartphones with higher margins.

HTC had once been one of the largest smartphone makers in the world but has seen its share of the market slide as the industry seems to have become a two-horse race between Apple and Samsung. Recent data from comScore found that HTC held the third-largest share of the U.S. smartphone subscribers with 8.7%, which is well behind Apple’s 39.2% and Samsung’s 23%. We’ll have to wait and see how these trends affect the wireless market going forward.

Source: HTC via Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Wow I really thought the HTC ONE was a step in the right direction. It's too bad that manufacturers are competing for a more casual market space.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,025 Times in 2,033 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    Wow I really thought the HTC ONE was a step in the right direction. It's too bad that manufacturers are competing for a more casual market space.
    Agree, the HTC one in black is killer! Apple should have adopted a size that it is...it's perfect sizing IMO. It would be my goto Android phone if I was to cross over!
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Banned
    Thanks

Im sure that switching to metal cost them more money., so their future phones will no longer be metal which will seem like downgrade to future users.

I chose the HTC One over the S4 only because it was $50 cheaper, I got $200 for my wife's S3 AND the 32GB model costs less than the 16GB S4 which only had little over 9GB of usable space.

I do however would rather have a 32GB Galaxy S4 but I might just wait til next year and get the S5. the One is a pretty device to look at and it has some things better than the S4 but its the Samsung software that makes all the difference and no Android or iPhone can match it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Agree, the HTC one in black is killer! Apple should have adopted a size that it is...it's perfect sizing IMO. It would be my goto Android phone if I was to cross over!
    +1
    I was actually pricing them today cuz I cracked my iPhone 4S screen this morning! Unfortunately, no good sales that's worth temporarily switching over.

I've decided to replace the 4S screen/back w/ a color mod, instead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Im sure that switching to metal cost them more money., so their future phones will no longer be metal which will seem like downgrade to future users.

I chose the HTC One over the S4 only because it was $50 cheaper, I got $200 for my wife's S3 AND the 32GB model costs less than the 16GB S4 which only had little over 9GB of usable space.

I do however would rather have a 32GB Galaxy S4 but I might just wait til next year and get the S5. the One is a pretty device to look at and it has some things better than the S4 but its the Samsung software that makes all the difference and no Android or iPhone can match it.
    Surprise that there is always very little mention of the SONY Xperia Z. That's definitely the go-to Android Phone in my opinion. Brilliant screen size, weight, and width. Added water proof functionality, it's a slick and beautiful device that's highly functional. I would definitely like to see Apple do something about the screen size with iPhone soon because the grass is looking ever so greener.

Thanks

^^I'll stick with my iPhone 5 for now as it has yet to fail me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Guz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I agree. The HTC One is indeed a nice phone. I almost swithced to it from my i4 but instead I will wait to see what Apple does for their next update after the 5s/6 or whatever they call it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I agree. The HTC One is indeed a nice phone. I almost swithced to it from my i4 but instead I will wait to see what Apple does for their next update after the 5s/6 or whatever they call it.
    I'm definitely getting the 5S but thought, temporarily, to get the HTC One. I have 2 upgrades this year and another next year. The pricing is what's keeping me from getting the One. I'd rather do a color mod on my ip4S and 'hopefully' sell it for some good money when its time!

BTW, which color do you think will look best for resale value: Silver or Blue?!?! I have the Light Mod, as well!

Last edited by thazsar; 08-01-2013 at 03:57 PM.