Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Undercover Investigation Reveals Plastic 'iPhone 5C' at Pegatron

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Undercover Investigation Reveals Plastic 'iPhone 5C' at Pegatron

Plastic iPhone rumors are intensifying again Monday as a new report indicates that the low-cost entry-level iPhone is now being tested and assembled in early production runs at Pegtaon. If all goes as planned, mass production will soon begin.

Unfortunately for Apple, how this newest leak occurred isn't shining a positive light on the company.

China Labor Watch virtually confirmed the new plastic handset’s existence when the non-profit organization sent undercover investigators into a select few Pegatron factories to explore alleged labor rights violations. Pegatron, of course, is one of Apple's largest Asian-based manufacturing partners.

During the course of the investigation, the plastic iPhone was observed.

“Today’s work is to paste protective film on the iPhone’s plastic back cover to prevent it from being scratched on assembly lines," an undercover investigator shared in a diary entry highlighted in the new report. "This iPhone model with a plastic cover will soon be released on the market by Apple.

The task is pretty easy, and I was able to work independently after a five-minute instruction from a veteran employee. It took around a minute to paste protective film on one rear cover. The new cell phone has not yet been put into mass production, so quantity is not as important. This makes our job more slow-paced than in departments that have begun mass production schedules.
    According to on-site and visual evidence obtained, the name of the new iPhone will be the "iPhone 5C."

Source: TNW

C for cheap

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

'C' for crap?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-29-2013)

C=CRAP!

At least they finally changed the name to something that relates more to what they're producing these days.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Careless For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-29-2013)

C for color.

C probably means color.

The iPhone 5C makes more sense than producing a 2 year old phone as the same cost as a new phone. Apple should stop making a phone after 1 year and release 2 phone per year, meaning drop the iPhone 5 as they release the iPhone 5S and 5C. This means every phone on the market will have access to latest features.

Right now Apple is releasing an iOS that has features never considered when building the iPhone 4. Continuing to build and sell them now limits their features since Apple wants to make sure they don't exclude them yet also wants to do more than those phone can do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

C for ill finally be able to buy an iPhone without going into debt. Hell as long as it has the same features I don't care, I always buy otter cases anyway.

I wonder how much they'll cost without a contract?

Default Low cost model or a clone?
    This is probably a lot cost model i wonder if this incorporates the same components as the original one or is this another down replica or a clone?

Why do all these pictures always have a blur to it and unclear? All the people or who ever finds these prototype can't take pictures without shaking or something.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    C for ill finally be able to buy an iPhone without going into debt. Hell as long as it has the same features I don't care, I always buy otter cases anyway.
    If you can't afford an iPhone, don't buy it! Simple as that. If you're that worried about the cost of an iPhone, maybe you should worry about the more important things. Like, you know, food...shelter...

C for Cook, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
    I wonder how much they'll cost without a contract?
    "The iPhone 5C is said to retail for between $350 and $400 off contract" source

Looks like it's likely to be a plastic iPhone 5. It wouldn't surprise me if they discontinue the iPhone 5 since this one will be cheaper to make and they'll have the 5S to fill the high-end slot previous occupied by the 5.

Wait, why was the pentagon testing these phones again?? Don't they have better things to do? Like chase Snowden for treason or discuss how great the economy is doing?
    Passionate tech blogger, student in college and part time worker at SoldMyDevice.com

Quote Originally Posted by LucySterling View Post
    Wait, why was the pentagon testing these phones again?? Don't they have better things to do? Like chase Snowden for treason or discuss how great the economy is doing?
    "Pegatron" not pentagon... At least read the post before you rant...

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    If you can't afford an iPhone, don't buy it! Simple as that. If you're that worried about the cost of an iPhone, maybe you should worry about the more important things. Like, you know, food...shelter...
    That's rude and condescending but most of all it's completely inaccurate. Just because $700 gadgets concern folks it doesn't mean they're "poor." Actually, I'd say there's not many middle class families that don't worry about those sort of prices.

Quote Originally Posted by zues79 View Post
    "Pegatron" not pentagon... At least read the post before you rant...
    LOL! I think her joke was lost on you.