Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Markings Visible in New Pic of 'Plastic iPhone'

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default FCC Markings Visible in New Pic of 'Plastic iPhone'

Call it what you will - "Plastic iPhone," "iPhone Lite," "Cheap iPhone," etc. - but one thing is becoming increasingly clear. The long-rumored forthcoming entry-level iPhone may arrive soon. And the latest images, which portray legally required FCC markings on the next-gen device, suggest Apple's production of the new iPhone is rolling along at a steady pace.

On the heels of a recent video highlighting the plastic shell of the device (which largely compared the plastic iPhone to various elements of design observed across iPod touch and iPhone models dating back to the 3GS), these new images first emerged on the Chinese site Weibo this morning.

Earlier this month, documents leaked to the web revealed that the iPhone supposedly pictured above has now entered the mandatory engineering verification processes that must be completed before release. If legitimate, the new shots could be taken as a sign that the plastic-encased version of Apple's touchscreen smartphone is almost ready for market introduction.

Although Apple said nothing of a plastic iPhone in this week's earnings report and conference call with reporters, there is strong pressure on Apple to "dazzle" us soon with new products, product refreshes, and some degree of groundbreaking hardware innovation in their lineup of mobile devices.

If the latest industry estimates pan out, we could see the new iPhone model(s) in as little as six weeks.

Source: Weibo via Apple Insider

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Great, the junky iPhone :/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StuG III For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (07-26-2013)

Thanks

I still do not understand the point??? The iPhone 4 is free and the 4s is 100 bucks...how much more budget can you get than FREE?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnum For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (07-26-2013), Silverado1987 (07-26-2013)

Less than a month away.

Am I the only one who loves the look of this phone? I have the iPhone 5 and I've always got the new iPhone each year but always preferred how the 3g/s felt in the hand so if the iPhone 5s doesn't offer anything special il be having the iP 5 and iP lite

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc-Lovin_341 For This Useful Post:

CabooseLoL (07-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    Am I the only one who loves the look of this phone? I have the iPhone 5 and I've always got the new iPhone each year but always preferred how the 3g/s felt in the hand so if the iPhone 5s doesn't offer anything special il be having the iP 5 and iP lite
    You're just the only one with the guts to admit it right now. As soon as its officially announced by Apple the fanboys will have permission to admit it looks pretty cool.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

How will a plastic cheaper iPhone dazzle anyone? Face it apple has hit it's peak. iPad mini? Plastic iPhone? Iwatch? Give me a break. iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s LOL and ios7 that looks like its made for little kids. If it wasn't for my jailbreak I'd be gone. Future: Lets make the screen a little bigger and steal jailbreak tweaks and call it a iphone 6! Good job apple!

It's not bad looking I'd use it and all, but I'd wanna see how it holds up on a drop.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    I still do not understand the point??? The iPhone 4 is free and the 4s is 100 bucks...how much more budget can you get than FREE?
    They are running out of ideas.

Thanks
    It's only free with a contract. I am actually looking forward to something like this for when i'm out fishing and hiking. A cheap off contract phone that I won't shed a tear over if I accidentally drop it in the river or gets taken by a bear when he decides he wants my hiking snacks more than I do..

Thanks

Im interested yet not all at the same time. Im happy they will come in colors besides white and black finally but it seems to end there for me. Apple is really trying to make even more of a profit when they are one of the most profitable business' on the planet. Wonder if it will sell as well as they are expecting? They may stop selling the 5 when the 5S comes out? I know Steve is gone and things done changed but are they for the better? Guess i'll be waiting like everyone else to see this one drop.

I agree. I'm confused but maybe apple is competing with every phone available. Such as the galaxy s4 mini
    Then they'll make a 4.5" and a 5" phone just because it will have something for literally everyone. This 4 and 4s won't exist anymore IMO

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

How about outperforming an iPhone 4/4s and/or consistency of screen sizes for devs and lightning chargers for consumers?
    I do hate that it's gonna likely kill my resale value

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    Great, the junky iPhone :/
    I like cheap phone i bought htc for only $50 bucks and it work good like $700 $800 phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    I agree, this phone looks awesome! I've always liked the white plastic apple uses on their devices. I had the white 3Gs. I also think the old white MacBooks were way nice!

I don't know. Seems to me the person pulling this prank is just appeasing the skeptics by showing another pic with FCC markings, which people have been quick to point out is missing from other pics. Notice how they hold it at an angle so you can't actually make out the writing, which would prove it is fake.

As for a cheaper phone, I'm all for it. I think they need to ditch the 4/4s to get consistent screen size. And if they can make it for about the same price tag off contract as the the price of the iPod Touch, it could quickly be my next phone as I'm looking to get away from the ripoff contract plans and go prepaid from now on. I'd snap up a cheaper slightly less powerful plastic iPhone in a minute to save hundreds a year on my service fees.

It's an iPod Touch with cellular adds and considering this can be at the same price point it's a bit of a catch-all for anyone that can't or hasn't yet validated the cost on the iPhone 5.

Off contract seems to be the new thing anyway so an iPhone that can be sold for $200-300, maybe less but doubt it, off contract and free with contract in the states makes sense. I'd imagine a much less demanding agreement when signing a contract to carry the iPhone Lite as well which is key to getting smaller carriers and pre-paid networks.

In emerging markets I bet this thing will take off too. I see Android's market share shrinking b/c now Apple will have a legitimate cheap contender for all those beater Androids on the market.
    Last edited by REMED1AL; 07-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Cheaper for them to make. Not for us to buy.

you're wrong, its a hard plastic with solar cells that will charge your phone. haha

Thanks
    Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,247 Posts

Where was this picture taken; in a pawn shop?!?!

I'm really wondering if this might be a fake since we can see the metal plugs which aren't in the other pics/videos (except that first vid which was actually an Android phone).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast