+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Rumored to Drop iPhone 5 in favor of iPhone 5S and iPhone Lite

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Rumored to Drop iPhone 5 in favor of iPhone 5S and iPhone Lite

In what would go against Apple’s iPhone debut schedule, the Cupertino California company is rumored to be discontinuing production of the iPhone 5 when it debuts the handset’s successor later this year. Apple is instead rumored towards producing the “iPhone 5S” and an unannounced lower-priced counterpart.

The latest rumor regarding the demise of the iPhone 5 comes courtesy of ET News. For obvious reasons, the rumor would mark a significant departure from Apple’s routine, as the company typically keeps the last two generations of its bestselling smartphone in production in order to market them to lower-income earners and markets.

The system has led to the situation Apple is currently in, which sees the iPhone 5 as the high-end, followed by the iPhone 4S at a medium price tag, and the iPhone 4 often as a giveaway alongside a contract in the United States and some other territories. What makes the rumor a bit harder to believe is the fact that Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook, recently said that the iPhone 5 was the company’s most popular iPhone “by far.”

The report from ET News focuses on the in-cell technology at work in the iPhone 5’s touchscreen, claiming that the technology is “not suitable for low-volume production.” According to the report, Apple will abandon production of the iPhone 5 and instead focus on the high-end successor, which is generally assumed to be dubbed the iPhone 5S and a rumored less-expensive, plastic model dubbed the “iPhone lite.”

Observers noted that leaks believed to show the iPhone 5S have all portrayed the device as having a display and touch array very similar to that of the iPhone 5. Furthermore, the production is believed to have already started on the current iPhone successor with many believing it will see release in September of this year.

Source: ET News

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

This could possibly explain why so few mobile network providers and re-sellers have anything other than 16GB iPhone 5s available. I have been looking for a contract deal over the last month and I am not going from a full 32GB phone to a 16GB, especially when I will have to buy a shed load of iPod to Lightning adapters to do so! Hurry up with a 5S already.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

This makes sense to me. The iPhone 5 costs too much money to produce. It simply could never function as a low cost alternative. The production cost for the iPhone 5 has not dropped enough in the year it's been sold to justify selling it as a low end device. Apple would be very smart to specifically create a low end iPhone, such as one made with cheaper plastic material, less RAM, a lower resolution camera, and a slower SOC. This low end iPhone could use the same LCD found in the iPod touch. In fact, Apple should put a cellular modem and aGPS module into an iPod touch and call it the iPhone lite.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's the same thing that happened to iPad 3. It went out of production when the iPad 4 came, and made it completely obsolete. That's what's happening to the iPhone 5. I think Apple is done with having 2 seemingly identical products for sale, because it confuses customers. Most people can't tell the difference between an iPhone 4 and 4S, an iPad 3 and 4, and even the iPad 2. The iPhone 5 and 5S would be no different.
    That's why the iPhone 4 and 5 will be discontinued, in favour of a simpler, and more consistent marketing strategy, where they'll offer a full fledged iPhone model, which will be the 5S, a budget version of that, which will be the plastic iPhone 5, and the iPhone mini, which will be the iPhone 4S, because believe it or not; some people actually still prefer a 3.5" screen.
    This way, there's a lot less "clutter" in Apple's marketing campaign for the iPhone. This goes hand in hand with the "clutterless" design philosophy of iOS 7

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It goes on like this all the time when the new model is about to come they drop the price of old one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    This could possibly explain why so few mobile network providers and re-sellers have anything other than 16GB iPhone 5s available. I have been looking for a contract deal over the last month and I am not going from a full 32GB phone to a 16GB, especially when I will have to buy a shed load of iPod to Lightning adapters to do so! Hurry up with a 5S already.
    I kinda did they space downgrade but not really, instead of buying iPhone 5 I paid out right for 16GB 4S and I'm still on 32GB iPhone 4 with contract, my 4 is my space now, I knows it's not exactly the same but close too lol

Thanks

Hmm..interesting. Why not offer all three? Only reason I can think that they would drop the 5 is they don't want to drop the price on it. Cost/profit margin may be an issue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Hmm..interesting. Why not offer all three? Only reason I can think that they would drop the 5 is they don't want to drop the price on it. Cost/profit margin may be an issue?
    Great Point bigboyz, I haven't seen the numbers on this but that very easily could be it! If rumors are true about a lower base priced new model, that could be a game changer if they completely illuminate past models??? Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see what happens...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i can see this happening. I have seen so many people with problems with the iphone 5. Glad that i skipped this model. Honestly i wouldnt mind a 3.5 inch 5s... but i know that wont happen

*T*
    Thanks

If anyone has been following Apple's financial reports, there is a clear reason for this. Apple's profits are going down, like it or not. They simply cannot afford to discount the iPhone 5 so much.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    This makes sense to me. The iPhone 5 costs too much money to produce. It simply could never function as a low cost alternative. The production cost for the iPhone 5 has not dropped enough in the year it's been sold to justify selling it as a low end device. Apple would be very smart to specifically create a low end iPhone, such as one made with cheaper plastic material, less RAM, a lower resolution camera, and a slower SOC. This low end iPhone could use the same LCD found in the iPod touch. In fact, Apple should put a cellular modem and aGPS module into an iPod touch and call it the iPhone lite.
    This is why people like you are not in control of apple.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    If anyone has been following Apple's financial reports, there is a clear reason for this. Apple's profits are going down, like it or not. They simply cannot afford to discount the iPhone 5 so much.
    If referring to there stock prices? Those are down because some ex-big wigs cashed out the 100k's-million shares of stocks when it was in the mid-upper 600.00 mark. If there profits were down? they wouldn't be buying other companies and have a 100+ billion in cash sitting in the bank LOL.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How come in the photo the headphone jack is on the right side instead of the left????

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

An offtopic from the article, is anyone else so amazed by how exactly close that mockup of the then rumored iPhone 5 (pictured above) is, and everything was exactly on key except for which side the headphone jack is? (A dumb mistake, as the leaked parts clearly showed which side it was on).

I just think it's crazy that the mockup is so accurate they're still using it almost a year and a half later. /offtopic

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flubberducky5 View Post
    How come in the photo the headphone jack is on the right side instead of the left????
    The photo is a concept of the iPhone 5.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

I've just bought the HTC One
    And the quality is unreal
    It's like holding a large square block of marble the only plastic that's in the phone is the SIM card the buttons are touch not press

My iPhone 5 rattles when I shake it the quality I don't think so and a cut down ver phone low budget that will be rubbish as will the 5s

Apple/Samsung are no where near HTC

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea the Htc one is nice. The speakers are great as well. Wonder what the next iPhone will be packing¿

Thanks

I saw this news on Facebook shared by iFunia. And I hear someone said: "This is such a load of nonsense because Apple would put itself in the situation of having millions of unsold iPhone5's in the pipeline and on shelves which they would not be able to sell! Again the moron that thought this one up is a total dochebag and cannot see past his 80 IQ." I agree some. And I'm still expecting to 5s.

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't matter to me anymore! Sold my 16gb i5, bought me a S4 16, then bought me a 32gb sdcard, for less than what I paid for the i5 originally .... Win! Lol

But yea I do think they have to do something and to me iOS7 was not it. To me that software design cheapens what apple has been building this whole time. iOS is supposed to be elegant and intuitive. iOS 7 is not. It's a cheap wanna be version of a hybrid of android and windows 8.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png