Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VIDEO: Is This The Low-Cost Plastic iPhone?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default VIDEO: Is This The Low-Cost Plastic iPhone?

Speculation regarding Apple's alleged forthcoming low-cost entry-level plastic-encased iPhone is heating up today on the heels of a new video that purportedly shows - in high quality, no less - the device Apple is believed to be building ahead of a fall 2013 launch.

Michael Kukielka, also known as "DetroitBorg," posted a video that thoroughly demonstrates the all-plastic design of the next-gen iPhone, illustrating that Apple is moving away from glass and metal for the construction of this particular model.

Comparing the plastic iPhone to various elements of design observed across iPod touch and iPhone models dating back to the 3GS, Kukielka presents the plastic case in a way that suggests Apple has somehow amalgamated several aspects of design from past iOS devices.

What isn't clear, of course, is how the makers of the video actually obtained the "plastic-edition" of this presumably still top secret Apple project. Nonetheless, the new clip is certainly raising eyebrows and adding to chatter that Apple is getting close to launching this long-awaited next-gen model.

Source: DetroitBorg

Thanks

I threw shade on this a while back. Now that I see it up close in someone's hands, it doesn't look to bad at all. Hope its priced right.

I don't care about the new iPhone; I want news on the iPad Mini with retina.

Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
    Next year.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

Let me awnser that question.

No.

Thanks

It still doesn't have any of the licensing info on the back. It also looks just like the one in the last video which was just an advertisement for an android based knock-off.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,378 Posts

Lets see if this link worx better for the app.

http://t.co/cPVc5sL1AI

There is absolutely NO WAY! With iPhone4's and 4S's being free from most carriers this is TOTAL bunk! Bunk bunk bunk...

Rumor mill you are boring anymore... I mean let see a phone that can spit out gold or chew up logs that would totally be more fun.

What does the licensing info have to do with anything? Whatever batch this was plucked from whether fake or legitimate obviously wasn't finished as there aren't any button holes punched out either.

You know they just print all that junk on the back, right? They don't build the phone around the license numbers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post
    What does the licensing info have to do with anything? Whatever batch this was plucked from whether fake or legitimate obviously wasn't finished as there aren't any button holes punched out either.

You know they just print all that junk on the back, right? They don't build the phone around the license numbers.
    They don't punch out the holes later... It's plastic they are molded. Also they wouldn't print the logo and iPhone on the back and then print the model number and licensing info later because it would be impossible to keep the registration the same and they would end up with too many that had crooked writing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
    Well some people do care about it !, is the writer supposed to check with you first to see if the story should go up or not ?. Idiot

I think this is absolutely legit. That EM shield looks 100% genuine Apple.
    The naysayers were absolutely wrong when they denied the leaked iPhone 5 parts were legit, and I think they are wrong this time, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,378 Posts

I doubted the creation of a cheap iphone but I'll be the first to say that this looks legitimate. With all the other photos out there and then this guy even saying he didn't believe it at first, I have to retract all my previous remarks about a cheap iphone being released.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    They don't punch out the holes later... It's plastic they are molded. Also they wouldn't print the logo and iPhone on the back and then print the model number and licensing info later because it would be impossible to keep the registration the same and they would end up with too many that had crooked writing on them.
    You don't make much sense. So you're saying the little microphone holes were molded also?

And my iPhone only has the license # for my region, not everywhere iPhones are sold. What is written on every iPhone globally? An apple logo and the word iPhone. It's unreasonable to think they'd start stocking up on cases before they decide where any given iPhone will be sold?

And you really believe that printing license info later would make it crooked? I will concede that these phones are assembled by little kids, but I'm confident they're using top of the line equipment that can print level text with laser accuracy.

The holes aren't molded. I've read the 3G/3GS casing was polycarbonate with the holes machined, which is why you don't see any mold flashing or witness lines. It would make sense the casing for the new iPhone Lite would be manufactured the same way and this sample unit would have been plucked off the line before machining.

I'm quite certain this is legit, I'll gladly eat crow if it's not.

It'd really be great if they offer it for $200 or less WITHOUT contract. I'd be okay with a plastic iPhone if it had the same Retina display as the i5/i5s.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post
    And you really believe that printing license info later would make it crooked? I will concede that these phones are assembled by little kids, but I'm confident they're using top of the line equipment that can print level text with laser accuracy.
    I could be wrong and I will admit that, but there is a reason commercial printers charge a 10% over-run fee. That's to cover the cost of mess ups on $40Mil printing presses.