+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cook States that iOS in the Car is "Very Important" to Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Cook States that iOS in the Car is "Very Important" to Apple

During the Q&A portion of today’s third quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about iOS in the Car, which was a highlight of the company’s keynote presentation at WWDC. As a response to the question, Cook said that it was an important “part of the ecosystem,” categorizing it with the App Store, iTunes, messaging and Siri. According to Cook:

"Having something in the automobile is very important. It’s something people want." He went on to say that Apple could "do it in a unique way better than anyone else," and that it was a "key focus" for the company.
    The iOS in the Car feature is designed to provide enhanced iOS integration in automobiles, offering hands-free controls that allow drivers to access maps, get directions, and control music by displaying content in the navigation screen of the car. The description of the feature mentions the following:

iOS in the Car seamlessly integrates your iOS device — and the iOS experience — with your in-dash system. If your vehicle is equipped with iOS in the Car, you can connect your iPhone 5 and interact with it using the car’s built-in display and controls or Siri Eyes Free. Now you can easily and safely make phone calls, access your music, send and receive messages, get directions, and more. It’s all designed to let iPhone focus on what you need, so you can focus on the road.
    As of right now, the feature is expected to be integrated into a number of new cars in 2014, from manufacturers like Acura, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Opel and Volvo. According to settings hidden within iOS 7, iOS in the car may potentially work over AirPlay in addition to USB. The feature is said to be officially unveiled later this year alongside the release of iOS 7.

Are any of you looking forward to the feature?

Source: Apple via MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

I definitely am. I hope that some of the 2014 Models have it as an option as I'll be shopping for a new car soon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've been using iOS 7 maps and Siri with my iPhone mounted onto my dashboard, and I must say, the experience is unbeatable. Between music and navigation it's so much better than the standard GPS + iPod. I can only imagine the possibility of proper implementation and integration. Looking forward to these features!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Resale value of the car is important to me so no thanks to iOS system in car.
    Apple drop support in a couple of years, your car have outdated OS and decrease resale because of this item...
    All I need is generic bluetooth setup that works with any OS out there.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Actually holding out for a 14 honda instead of a 13 in the hopes theyll have this feature. Could be saving alot of money otherwise but this is a pretty big deal, I don't see them making cars in the future that don't have some form of this implemented. Biggest thing since signal lights and windshield wipers LOL

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If Apple could get Siri to use Google's voice-recognition algorithm, it would all be rather super (as we say in England). The trouble (even with Google's excellent voice search) is that voice-searching road names (which are not part of everyday speech) is inherently difficult - particularly in a moving auto, where there's lots of background noise.

Thanks

I find many ideas are great but are they practical? What is going to be the cost to have such a device connected all the time? Will it be subscription based like Sirius or will it be more like a phone bill? The #'s are what matters to me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh come on! Replace the 17 inch Tesla joke with a fully Integrated iPad. It might be super cool to control all car features using Siri. They could also make the control super smart using iPad features like mood lighting reflecting the song or mid route suggestions based on live traffic or events.

Thanks

Definitely looking forward to advancements with this in the future...