+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Launches New Ad Against AT&T's Next Upgrade Program

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default T-Mobile Launches New Ad Against AT&T's Next Upgrade Program

Following the introduction of T-Mobile’s “Jump” and AT&T’s “Next” early upgrade programs, T-Mobile has ended up launching a new anti-AT&T ad campaign which calls the company’s Next policies “calculating, sneaky, and underhanded” according to AllThingsD. Originally introduced last week, Next is AT&T’s answer to Jump, a T-Mobile program that allows users to upgrade their phones at regular intervals with a $10 monthly fee. Similar to Jump, Next provides AT&T users with an option to upgrade their phones more frequently, but it’s $32.50 monthly charge is one that sits on top of standard monthly fees, ultimately causing customers to pay double for their devices.

A quick comparison of the two plans reveals that a T-Mobile customer using Jump would end up paying $518 for a 16 GB iPhone 5 over the course of a year while a customer using Next would pay $630, which is a premium of $112. Customers have to trade in existing devices and pay monthly fees in order to obtain an upgrade with both plans.

John Legere, T=Mobile’s CEO, has been vocal about AT&T Next since its debut, releasing a number of tweets condemning the program. The company’s most recent ad includes a quote from The Verge which Legere had highlighted last week:

AT&T's reaction to T-Mobile's transparency is to be more deceptive than ever.
    Verizon has also introduced an upgrade program called “Edge,” which shares many similarities to AT&T’s Next program and T-Mobile’s Jump. A 16 GB iPhone will cost roughly $565 on this plan. According to marketing chief Mike Sievert, Verizon will be targeted in ads set to run later this week. According to Sievert:

There are real and material differences between what we are doing and the so-called upgrade programs that AT&T and Verizon are doing.
    How do you feel about the plan comparisons and T-Mobile’s new ad campaigns?

Source: AllThingsD, John Legere (Twitter)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's UP TO $32.50. Tell the truth.

Retards will still do this because they can have a new phone every year. Deceptive or not, people will still pay for it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jabbacks's Avatar
    Thanks

lols... rivals!.... Verizon, ATT & Tmobile all have claimed worlds largest LTE4 network. False advertisement?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T has better LTE coverage than TMo and VZW. VZW is too slow with their rollout and TMO has no budget.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

They're all bad ideas anyway! Your best bet is to sell on the second-hand market and buy new. Anyone with any sense knows that.

Also, why isn't obvious to anyone that these guys are all in bed together over this idea?? I mean, they came out with similar plans within a week of each other! You can't tell me that business as big as AT&T and Verizon can:

1. see an idea
    2. come up with a plan of their own and determine it's details to ensure enough overall profitability
    3. go through and check all the legal aspects of the plan to ensure there are no problems with it
    4. ensure their internal infrastructure is up and ready to go for the new plan and
    5. create and launch a nation-wide ad campaign
    All inside a week!

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it. I know the internal requirements of launching things like this, and it just doesn't move that fast. And all this smack talk can all be smoke and mirrors because they know as long as they offer similar options customer movement will be very low. What they do know, however, is that if they all launch similar ideas at almost the same time, they'll get enough suckers within their customer base to bite and they'll make more money.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    They're all bad ideas anyway! Your best bet is to sell on the second-hand market and buy new. Anyone with any sense knows that.

Also, why isn't obvious to anyone that these guys are all in bed together over this idea?? I mean, they came out with similar plans within a week of each other! You can't tell me that business as big as AT&T and Verizon can:

1. see an idea
    2. come up with a plan of their own and determine it's details to ensure enough overall profitability
    3. go through and check all the legal aspects of the plan to ensure there are no problems with it
    4. ensure their internal infrastructure is up and ready to go for the new plan and
    All inside a week!

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it. I know the internal requirements of launching things like this, and it just doesn't move that fast. And all this smack talk can all be smoke and mirrors because they know as long as they offer similar options customer movement will be very low. What they do know, however, is that if they all launch similar ideas at almost the same time, they'll get enough suckers within their customer base to bite and they'll make more money.
    +1

Thanks

You are a loyal customer, been with them for years and they still fight tooth and nail to screw you. Gotta love capitalism haha. Its the best and worse part of us. Oh well...the beat goes on.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It's still going to cost customers more money....I thought the idea was good until I realized that it's just another way for AT&T to suck more money out of its customers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1. see an idea
    All inside a week!

It's the same as the European model of device upgrades which each of these companies is VERY familiar with. You'd be surprised how quickly things can get done when a company (no matter how big) believes a rival has gained a significant edge on them. You can argue the merits of whether or not this is a good program but you'd be foolish to think that a program cannot be put into place within a matter of weeks/months (of course AT&T caught wind of TMobile's intentions before it's official program kick off).

Thanks

+1

Your most expensive iphone is your first. Selling your unlocked used should more than pay for a new one. If not, you a sucka.