+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: San Francisco and New York Attorney General Impressed by iOS 7's Activation Lock

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default San Francisco and New York Attorney General Impressed by iOS 7's Activation Lock

After previous news that government officials would be testing the efficiency of iOS 7’s Activation Lock against thieves, the San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón has come out in support of the feature, saying that “clear improvements” have been made to stop criminals.

For those of you didn’t know, Gascón and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman brought in security experts from Northern California Regional intelligence Center to test out Apple’s Activation Lock feature as well as Absolute Software’s Lojack service on the Samsung Galaxy S4 in order to determine how effective they are against thieves. The following was mentioned about the topic:

"I'm very optimistic that they came and were willing to share their technology with us," Gascón said in a statement, also noting that Microsoft and Google had not yet come forth with their plans to combat theft. Gascón did not detail how the specific features work, explaining that they were not yet finished.
    Both of the attorneys called for the tests as a part of the Secure Our Smartphone (S.O.S) program which aims to stop the theft and black market resale of stolen mobile devices. Although carriers have already established a database to track stolen phones, it has proven to be largely futile. Before these tests, both Gascón and Schneiderman called for smartphones to have a kill switch that would disable them in the even to theft.

Activation Lock was announced at WWDC and is set to be included in iOS 7, which is expected to be released to consumers this fall.

Source: San Francisco Examiner

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Im sure there will be away around it or problems that will be exploited but cool story tho

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Im sure there will be away around it or problems that will be exploited but cool story tho
    Wow... who pissed in your cheerios?! Its a start! And it shows character that a multi-billion dollar company cares about people who have been shot or mugged for their iPhone. At least they are making a change!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZSakowski View Post
    Wow... who pissed in your cheerios?! Its a start! And it shows character that a multi-billion dollar company cares about people who have been shot or mugged for their iPhone. At least they are making a change!
    Butthurt

Thanks

This is great specially after loosing my iPhone 5, 3 times in 4 months at lease thieves will think before stealing the device . Hopefully apple will make the ios7 uncrackable (No-Jailbreak).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheaposity View Post
    This is great specially after loosing my iPhone 5, 3 times in 4 months at lease thieves will think before stealing the device . Hopefully apple will make the ios7 uncrackable (No-Jailbreak).
    It's not like your gonna be able to get into the phone if its jailbroken anyway

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Well that goes without saying. No security is 100% secure. But it's more secure than it was before, so it's good, and probably enough to fool the petty thieves that make up the majority of this kind of theft.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It would be fun to the looks on the Faces of those iPhone Palette Thieves, were they to try to repeat their caper and encounter the new security in iOS 7!

Thanks

Ha! Why don't they do this for cars? Make them useless when broken into? I mean what gets stolen more often? Go to any major city and cars top the list. I guess its a good start for phone security tho...how well it works only time will tell.

Thanks

How do u manage to 'loose' your phone so often? Maybe if u held onto it 'tighter'

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hopefully apple will make the ios7 uncrackable (No-Jailbreak).
    NO

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hopefully it has a feature that before someone try to enter the recovery mode of iPhone it will prompt an apple id and password.. if not say goodbye to your iPhone when lost!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghesai View Post
    Hopefully it has a feature that before someone try to enter the recovery mode of iPhone it will prompt an apple id and password.. if not say goodbye to your iPhone when lost!
    I think that's what they changed to make it more secure. Otherwise it wouldn't be any different than now.
    Last edited by The6uest; 07-24-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    After previous news that government officials would be testing the [BOLD]efficiency[/BOLD] of iOS 7’s Activation Lock against thieves, the San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón has come out in support of the feature, saying that “clear improvements” have been made to stop criminals.
    I don't think 'efficiency' is the right word here. Perhaps, 'efficacy'?

Green Apple
    Thanks

no-jailbreak = go **c* yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ZSakowski View Post
    nothing wrong with what he said, back down
    Last edited by Pir8pete; 07-25-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pir8pete View Post
    no-jailbreak = go **c* yourself

nothing wrong with what he said, back down
    Get bent bro! No one asked you to referee 👎