+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: xRec Display-recording App Already Pulled From the App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 735 Posts

Default xRec Display-recording App Already Pulled From the App Store

Just two days ago, it was discovered that another Display Recording application, a feature that is usually only found on jailbroken iOS devices, had become available to the publicís reach in the iOS App Store.

The application, known as xRec, allowed the user to record the display as they performed actions on the device; it also enabled microphone audio recording. This kind of device recording combination makes for great step-by-step how-tos with voice overs.

Unfortunately, it appears that Apple didnít take the release of the application too kindly. The application is no longer available in the App Store after having been pulled. We assume that like other display recording applications that have hit the App Store in the past, xRec fell victim to having went against the App Storeís terms and conditions.

Itís sad to see perfectly functional applications get pulled from the App Store for such tedious reasons. It really cuts down on innovation from iOS developers and keeps iOS device functionality right where Apple wants it instead of where the user wants it.

Luckily, those that snagged the application from the App Store while it was available will still be able to use the application if itís installed on an iOS device or stored in the userís iTunes library. If you didnít grab it, youíre too late, but if youíre jailbroken, you can still opt to use Ryan Petrichís famous Display Recorder application in Cydia.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-23-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks

Well there goes my $1.99, anyone know if they will auto issue a refund or do in have to file a complaint?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand how these go against the terms and conditions? Apple has slowly grown to be ridiculous when it comes to how uninnovative they are and devs can be.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-23-2013)

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 735 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Well there goes my $1.99, anyone know if they will auto issue a refund or do in have to file a complaint?
    No they don't automatically issue any refunds.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope. Once you buy an app that is at risk of getting pulled you wont get your money back from it.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 672 Posts

Well I didn't buy it because someone else running ios7 beta said it wasn't working right. So right there the developer didn't code or didn't have a renewed developer account. And knowing apple is going to pull it right away isn't going to give the developer time to fix it for ios7. Think this guy did it for a quick $$$ knowing Apple would pull it lol
    Last edited by Carvensno; 07-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes you can request for a refund...

First, open iTunes and select the iTunes Store link in the left-hand column
    Near the top right corner, click the arrow next to your user name (email address) and then select Account. About half way down the screen, click the Purchase History button. In the bottom portion of the screen, you will see your App Store purchase history -- click the Report a Problem button.
    Locate the iTunes invoice with the application you would like a refund for, and click the Report a Problem link.
    Fill out the form that follows and be sure to be as detailed as possible -- when finished, click Next.
    If your reason for requesting a refund is valid, Apple should respond within a few days and process your refund within a week.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I bought this app SPECIFICALLY because I knew Apple wouldn't let it remain in the app store.. best thing to do is backup your app purchases to your device fairly regularly.. even if they removed it from the app store you could then re-install it if it's in your iTunes library.. the only exception is if apple remotely disables it with their "kill switch' .. but to my knowledge, they've never made use of that.

As for refunds.. the general policy is a no refund policy, however I've gotten refunds on several apps over the years.. usually because it didn't work as advertised, wasn't compatible with my device yet it still let me download it .. or as in a case last year.. I installed an app and it wasn't what I expected, I told the rep I genuinely misunderstood the purpose of it and that the $1.99 app wasn't of any use for me.. He promptly issued a credit without question.

Individual experiences vary.. it all depends on who you talk to and what you say..

In your case I would say that you purchased the app and then deleted it with the intention of reinstalling it when you needed or something like that, I've done that especially when a deal is going on to lock in a cheap price.. or even that you had to restore your device because of some weird glitch.. then you can tell them you tried to find it to restore your purchased app only to not be able to find it.. then ask for a copy of the app! when they can't give you the app you bought, you are in the perfect position to request a refund/credit...

As long as your request is reasonable you'll be good to go.. not liking an app isn't generally reasonable to them.
    Last edited by oneduality; 07-23-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    I saved the signed iPA! Ha suckers!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    Nope. Once you buy an app that is at risk of getting pulled you wont get your money back from it.
    The average consumer would have no way of knowing that xRec was at risk of being pulled.. most other smart phones have apps for that purpose after all.. Only those who'd have knowledge of Apple's developer guidelines would know that, including people who frequent sites like this one =)

With that said.. I think having purchased an app only to have it vanish so you have no way of downloading your purchase would fall squarely into the valid reason for a refund category.. I think they'd be more likely to offer up a credit in this scenario than in many others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    I got a full refund for QuickOffice HD ($20) so you can get refunds. It didn't work properly and was rendering my Excel files useless. The QuickOffice support even said that the app would continue to update and I would still be able to use it. But, since it doesn't work right it just sits in my iTunes library.

I have noticed that my bank account hasn't been charged the $1.99 and I haven't received an iTunes receipt email for it yet. Maybe they suspended the transactions on it. I bought it to test with iOS 7 and it would have been great on my iPad for demonstration purposes. I'll go through with the refund process and update later.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 07-23-2013 at 03:03 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Of course xRec was pulled. It infringed on my copyright on RecordMyScreen. I personally sent in a DMCA Takedown notice to apple and now it's gone

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolstar For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (07-23-2013), iH85CH001 (07-23-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolstar View Post
    Of course xRec was pulled. It infringed on my copyright on RecordMyScreen. I personally sent in a DMCA Takedown notice to apple and now it's gone
    +1

I know I reported the infringement in my 'review' as well.

Thanks

I got a refund for one of the note and to do list apps on Mac for like $70 I got a refund for mountain lion $20 2 weeks ago. It's how you approach it. You'll get a refund.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is the reason jailbreaking exists.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Yes you can request for a refund...

First, open iTunes and select the iTunes Store link in the left-hand column
    Near the top right corner, click the arrow next to your user name (email address) and then select Account. About half way down the screen, click the Purchase History button. In the bottom portion of the screen, you will see your App Store purchase history -- click the Report a Problem button.
    Locate the iTunes invoice with the application you would like a refund for, and click the Report a Problem link.
    Fill out the form that follows and be sure to be as detailed as possible -- when finished, click Next.
    If your reason for requesting a refund is valid, Apple should respond within a few days and process your refund within a week.

That's a lot just to get a refund back. Hate to say it but android has it down with the refund feature on their play store. Hopefully apple will implement that in feature operating systems.....

Thanks

How did it pass through apples review process and make it to the App Store in the first place? Aren't you subject to a 2 week review period before the app is made public? What exactly is apple doing in those two weeks?

Banned
    Thanks

just download the app from somewhere else and side load it., problem solved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    just download the app from somewhere else and side load it., problem solved.
    And risk that the random person you are downloading it from has altered the code and embedded a bit of malware code.... No thanks.

Thanks

Apple is reversing the charges and I should have a credit back in 10 days.