+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T to Launch Two New Mobile Share Data Plans

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default AT&T to Launch Two New Mobile Share Data Plans

AT&T recently announced the launch of two new Mobile Share Plan Options, including a 300 MB and a 2 GB data plan, both of which include unlimited talk and text. Originally introduced last summer, AT&Tís Mobile Share service plans are designed to allow users to share monthly data allotments across multiple devices. The plans come with both a monthly data cost and a per-device charge that ranges from $10 to $45 based on the data plan selected and the type of device.

The companyís Mobile Share plans previously started at 1 GB of shared data and then jumped to 4 GB, so the new options give customers who use less data additional pricing choices. The 300 MB option is available for $20 per month with a $50 charge per smartphone, bringing the total plan cost to $70 per month, while the 2 GB option costs $50, with a $45 charge per smartphone, for a total cost per month of $95.

As AT&T continues to roll out additional Mobile Share plans, its early upgrade pricing has also been gaining additional attention. A recent report from Gotta Be Mobile points out that a number of AT&T customers have begun receiving early device upgrade options, which appear to be part of the 24-month upgrade policy that AT&T introduced last month. The company has offered similar early upgrade discounts in the past as well.

Many AT&T iPhone customers have logged in and found themselves eligible for a discount on an upgrade. According to AT&T, users that have completed at least six months of their contracts should be eligible for a partial discount off of the full retail price of a new device. It is however unclear how AT&T is giving out early upgrades as it appears to be limited to an upgrade on a phone brand that is already in use. For example, an iPhone user can only get an early upgrade option to another iPhone. Other users claim to not receive an early upgrade discount at all.

AT&Tís new Mobile Share plans are said to be available beginning on July 26th for those of you interested in using them.

Source: AT&T, Gotta Be Mobile

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't get how this is beneficial to a normal family plan. In their commercials they act like it's so much cheaper for families when it is way more expensive.

Thanks

I have 4 iPhones on my plan all with grandfathered unlimited data, 750min per month shared (we have over 6000 rollover), unlimited texting, and free mobile to any mobile. My bill is $216 a month. With these new plans, the 2GB option would cost me a minimum of $230 a month. They should be focused on getting people to switch to AT&T from other carriers but instead all the people who have been with their carrier for a while aren't going anywhere because all the new "great" options are so much more expensive. To get what I have, I would have to pay almost double anywhere else and I am sure there are Verizon customers who can say the same thing about their plans.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (07-22-2013)

Thanks

Am I missing something here?

My wife and I have two iPhones, two separate data plans. Using the current data plans, we could each pay $30/month and each get 3GB/month, a total of $60/month and 6GB/month.

Using the Mobile Share, we could share 4GB/month for $110/month. How is this better??

Also, it's unclear to me the cost structure: does each mobile device add on the "Cost per Smartphone" price? If so, it's a complete ripoff.

This only seems to barely, possibly make any sense if you're getting 10-15+ GB/month and get rid of your landline and land bandwidth (DSL, cable, whatever), and setup a mobile device in your home as a WiFi point.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 07-22-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks

3 smartphones with 300 mb data (no unlimited throttles) for $180 a month. Ripoff
    Last edited by Spyruf; 07-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, that's some pricey data.

Clinging to my unlimited data on AT&T until they strip it from my cold dead hands.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesgunaca For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (07-22-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 688 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I have 4 iPhones on my plan all with grandfathered unlimited data, 750min per month shared (we have over 6000 rollover), unlimited texting, and free mobile to any mobile. My bill is $216 a month. With these new plans, the 2GB option would cost me a minimum of $230 a month. They should be focused on getting people to switch to AT&T from other carriers but instead all the people who have been with their carrier for a while aren't going anywhere because all the new "great" options are so much more expensive. To get what I have, I would have to pay almost double anywhere else and I am sure there are Verizon customers who can say the same thing about their plans.
    Ya i have same plan and you LOL 750min and unlimited text and Grandfathered data and 7-8k rollover mins.

Buddy of mine that works in a call center that provides CS support for Verzion and ATT, rumor/word thru the grape-wine is ATT maybe bring back Unlimited data. I asked how he became of this info? and he told me. But as i told him? Until it comes from ATT mouth? Its just rumor, but that just me tho. Plus i have my GF'ed unlimited.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The price per smartphone should be 30.00 each, regardless which data plan is chosen. Cost the same on all smartphones.

300mb plan is being charged over 60.00 per GB. The 3GB (non-shared) is 30.00 making it 10.00 per GB. So every package should break down to 10.00 per GB at the most. You don't get that price until you hit 20GB a month. What a bunch of crooks.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    Wow, that's some pricey data.

Clinging to my unlimited data on AT&T until they strip it from my cold dead hands.
    Same here man!!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Green Apple
    Thanks

I pay $53/month for unlimited calls, unlimited text/mms, unlimited data (throttled at 10Gb), and a free extra sim card, to share data with a laptop/iPad/smartphone.
    I do live in Denmark though, but really every time I see an article on here about the prices for mobile data in the US, I literally scream at the computer screen, because it's so redicules!
    Oh yeah, and I get free internet tethering on my phone too. Just one more reason I'm never moving to the United States :P

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DuRoLuRo For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-22-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuRoLuRo View Post
    I pay $53/month for unlimited calls, unlimited text/mms, unlimited data (throttled at 10Gb), and a free extra sim card, to share data with a laptop/iPad/smartphone.
    I do live in Denmark though, but really every time I see an article on here about the prices for mobile data in the US, I literally scream at the computer screen, because it's so redicules!
    Oh yeah, and I get free internet tethering on my phone too. Just one more reason I'm never moving to the United States :P
    The reason it cost so much more than Denmark is because the size of this country.
    The amount of cell tower required to give coverage to most people in U.S. is quite a lot more than Denmark, so higher investment gets passed down to consumer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    The reason it cost so much more than Denmark is because the size of this country.
    The amount of cell tower required to give coverage to most people in U.S. is quite a lot more than Denmark, so higher investment gets passed down to consumer.
    What matters is the POPULATION DENSITY, not the total size. Denmark's (130 km^-2) is higher than that of the US (89 km^-2), but this is on average. If you removed Alaska the numbers would not be that different.

Thanks

No offense but AT&T NEVER gives users a deal. They use clever advertising to lure you in and BAM..you are coming out of your pocket. Beware of all of the new clever "you can upgrade your phone whenever you want BS" Since Tmo announced it they are all following suit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone peacedog's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    No offense but AT&T NEVER gives users a deal. They use clever advertising to lure you in and BAM..you are coming out of your pocket. Beware of all of the new clever "you can upgrade your phone whenever you want BS" Since Tmo announced it they are all following suit.
    No offense? Please offend them all you want! Anything they do is not to save customers money. Just like Comcast.

To go from 10Gb to 20Gb costs add'l $80. Why does going from 20Gb to 30Gb cost add'l $100? Shouldn't the price per unit decrease as you buy more?
    Last edited by peacedog; 07-23-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    No offense? Please offend them all you want! Anything they do is not to save customers money. Just like Comcast.

To go from 10Gb to 20Gb costs add'l $80. Why does going from 20Gb to 30Gb cost add'l $100? Shouldn't the price per unit decrease as you buy more?
    You need to switch to FIOS. I have 50/25 and it would only cost me $5.00 more per month to upgrade to 75/35. And, it would be $10 less if I wanted to downgrade to 15/5.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

How is it like paying full retail for your devices?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    How is it like paying full retail for your devices?
    I'm not sure what you are asking me. I don't pay full retail because I sign a contract. I am already on AT&T.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 07-23-2013 at 12:05 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking me. I don't pay full retail because I sign a contract. I am already on AT&T.
    You're on contact yes but to upgrade to a new phone you are required to choose an eligible data plan and the unlimited is no longer offered.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 688 Posts

You're on contact yes but to upgrade to a new phone you are required to choose an eligible data plan and the unlimited is no longer offered.
    Huh?? i have never been required to choose a different plan every time i have upgraded each yr. and still have my GF unlimited data.

Thanks

I have had every version of the iPhone and have had the same plan since my original iPhone. You are not required to change your plan, just agree to another 2yrs. The other 3 iPhones on my plan have also been upgraded several times.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 07-23-2013 at 02:39 PM.