+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: iPhone 5 Accounts for Only Half of All June iPhone Sales

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although Apple's iPhone 4 and 4S remain popular sellers in the smartphone space, the current generation iPhone 5 accounted for more than half of all iPhone sales during the month
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Report: iPhone 5 Accounts for Only Half of All June iPhone Sales

Although Apple's iPhone 4 and 4S remain popular sellers in the smartphone space, the current generation iPhone 5 accounted for more than half of all iPhone sales during the month of June, shows a new report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP).

While sales of iPhone 5 are obviously strong, the bigger story is that iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S sales are still strong too.

In fact, consumers show no signs of halting their appetite for iPhone 4 and 4S, which are free and $99, respectively, if buyers pick up a 2-year contract at the time of purchase.

"iPhone 5 appears to have settled in at about half of all iPhone sales, nine months after its initial launch," CIRP says. "In contrast, the earlier flagship model, iPhone 4S, accounted for almost three-quarters of iPhone sales almost a year after its launch. Furthermore, iPhone 4S had 90 percent of all iPhone sales in the period immediately after launch , compared to about 70 percent for iPhone 5."

Most promising in all of this data for Apple, however, is the fact that CIRP's information indicates that more than 50% of individuals who purchased an iPhone (any model) in June were upgrading from a rival mobile platform or purchasing their first smartphone.

Source: Consumer Intelligence Research Partners

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

It's because people like myself realize that the 4s and below are the same (and more reliable) then the piece of trash 5. And the only reason the 5s sales are going to be high is because of the people who have had a 4 or 4s for 2-4 years that are dying and need to get rid of it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-22-2013), Silverado1987 (07-22-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    It's because people like myself realize that the 4s and below are the same (and more reliable) then the piece of trash 5. And the only reason the 5s sales are going to be high is because of the people who have had a 4 or 4s for 2-4 years that are dying and need to get rid of it.
    Please explain how the iphone 5 is trash compared to the 4s and 4? The phone is faster, data comes faster, better camera sensors/camera, smaller connector (which is great), thinner, better sound quality, bigger screen (which doesn't necessarily turn me on), plus the new features coming in ios 7 that will only be supported on the iphone 5. Some features like filters i think should be supported on the 4s but i know airdrop (which is going to be awesome) required special hardware for peer to peer wifi transfers. Plus, you can get the 5 for $99 at best buy. Please tell me why the 4 and 4s are better than the "trash" iphone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    [IMG]

"iPhone 5 appears to have settled in at about half of all iPhone sales, nine months after its initial launch," CIRP says. "In contrast, the earlier flagship model, iPhone 4S, accounted for almost three-quarters of iPhone sales almost a year after its launch. Furthermore, iPhone 4S had 90 percent of all iPhone sales in the period immediately after launch , compared to about 70 percent for iPhone 5."

Source: Consumer Intelligence Research Partners
    The 4s sold better because people wanted siri. I think it's that simple. Since you can still have siri on the cheaper 4s, that's probably the reason why they are still selling well.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 07-22-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Bro your so negative about everything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Bro your so negative about everything
    Bro your so positive about everything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Please explain how the iphone 5 is trash compared to the 4s and 4? The phone is faster, data comes faster, better camera sensors/camera, smaller connector (which is great), thinner, better sound quality, bigger screen (which doesn't necessarily turn me on), plus the new features coming in ios 7 that will only be supported on the iphone 5. Some features like filters i think should be supported on the 4s but i know airdrop (which is going to be awesome) required special hardware for peer to peer wifi transfers. Plus, you can get the 5 for $99 at best buy. Please tell me why the 4 and 4s are better than the "trash" iphone 5.
    Most of what you said I have never seen to be true. I've used a 5 and 4s both on Verizon on 3/4G at the same location and had no faster connection. The phone runs at the same speed (tested with the same app). There is no sound quality difference. It's not really a bigger screen, it's just taller. The smaller connector was just a way to get more money and is plain out stupid in my opinion. Air drop I've never used or had a need to. And live filters is a gimmick for people who can't make their own image edits like myself with programs like Photoshop or GIMP.

Thanks

One thing people often forget is the dock connector. Yes, I know it's old, lightning is faster, you can insert it either way so you save 0.04 seconds per insertion, it's the future bla bla bla. Fact is that some people have a lot docking Stations, sound stations ("old" B&W Zeppelin) and other Peripherals with the "obsolete" Docking connector. Pair this with the iPhone 5 improvements over the 4S and you might not have a good enough reason yet to either change/upgrade all the peripherals at home or run around with 2 cables all the time.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Makes sense. Anyone who is going to buy the 5 already has. And those looking for a new phone are probably looking for cheaper off-contract options to hold over until the next one comes out in a month or two.

Thanks

Most of what you said I have never seen to be true. I've used a 5 and 4s both on Verizon on 3/4G at the same location and had no faster connection. The phone runs at the same speed (tested with the same app). There is no sound quality difference. It's not really a bigger screen, it's just taller. The smaller connector was just a way to get more money and is plain out stupid in my opinion. Air drop I've never used or had a need to. And live filters is a gimmick for people who can't make their own image edits like myself with programs like Photoshop or GIMP.
    Go somewhere that has lte and your 5 is going to be way faster, no matter what network your on. There is a sound quality difference. A taller screen is still a bigger screen. The 5 could not be as thin as it is with a 30pin connector and that's obvious. No one but developers have used airdrop. You must have only used a 5 for like 2 seconds if you haven't realized the differences.

Thanks

The 4S is a solid phone that is known. They still are very popular and my company buys them more than the 5 at this time. Not because the 5 is inferior but because there is no real need to have a 5. It is a perk not a necessity. I love my iPhone 5. The screen is taller meaning bigger. It is lighter and thinner as well. Many positives in my book. To each his/her own but don't try to knock the 5..its still selling better than most other phones out there.

Thanks

Go somewhere that has lte and your 5 is going to be way faster, no matter what network your on. There is a sound quality difference. A taller screen is still a bigger screen. The 5 could not be as thin as it is with a 30pin connector and that's obvious. No one but developers have used airdrop. You must have only used a 5 for like 2 seconds if you haven't realized the differences.
    You pretty much only argued the same points the same way. And it was in an area with LTE for 30 minutes of side by side testing and timing. Everything was pretty much the same except the occasional spike from both devices. And it could still be the same size with the larger charger port. It only got shorter not thinner. And I am a dev (not registered because of money constraints) and have still never used air drop.

Thanks

You pretty much only argued the same points the same way. And it was in an area with LTE for 30 minutes of side by side testing and timing. Everything was pretty much the same except the occasional spike from both devices. And it could still be the same size with the larger charger port. It only got shorter not thinner. And I am a dev (not registered because of money constraints) and have still never used air drop.
    If you were in an area with LTE then you wouldn't be getting the same speeds. You do know that the 4s isn't LTE compatible right? And the lightning cable is a lot thinner compared to the 30 pin. I can almost stick my lighting plug inside of the 30pin. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about or you are trolling. Air drop has only been available for little more than a month, on beta's with the most current devices only. Chances are you aren't going to have too many people walking around with the new devices running beta software. When it becomes mainstream, it'll be very useful.

I looked up the specs for the 30 pin and the lightning. The lightning is almost 40% thinner compared to the 30 pin.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 07-23-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks

If you were in an area with LTE then you wouldn't be getting the same speeds. You do know that the 4s isn't LTE compatible right? And the lightning cable is a lot thinner compared to the 30 pin. I can almost stick my lighting plug inside of the 30pin. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about or you are trolling. Air drop has only been available for little more than a month, on beta's with the most current devices only. Chances are you aren't going to have too many people walking around with the new devices running beta software. When it becomes mainstream, it'll be very useful.

I looked up the specs for the 30 pin and the lightning. The lightning is almost 40% thinner compared to the 30 pin.
    I do understand the 4s isn't capable of LTE. I gave the 5 the advantage on that due to the fact I wanted both devices to run as fast as possible so I cleared both app switchers and rebooted before hand. And I've had a 4, 4s, and 5 on iOS 7 Beta 1. My 4s is on Beta 3 and I believe my friend is still on Beta 1 with their 5. And I've never actually seen the lightning charger in person so I was going off of what I heard from my friend with the 5.

Green Apple
    Thanks

As much as that!

Thanks

I do understand the 4s isn't capable of LTE. I gave the 5 the advantage on that due to the fact I wanted both devices to run as fast as possible so I cleared both app switchers and rebooted before hand. And I've had a 4, 4s, and 5 on iOS 7 Beta 1. My 4s is on Beta 3 and I believe my friend is still on Beta 1 with their 5. And I've never actually seen the lightning charger in person so I was going off of what I heard from my friend with the 5.
    So you're going off of your friend's word that is wrong for the charger and you're running tests on beta software's (which 99.9% of ios users aren't using) that still have major bugs in it. Sounds like you don't really have any solid facts to go on.