Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 9 in 10 iOS Apps in Use Were Free Downloads

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default 9 in 10 iOS Apps in Use Were Free Downloads

Illustrating with compelling evidence that consumers are less and less willing to pay for mobile apps, a new report from Flurry indicates that 90% of all iOS apps in use today were free downloads.

One year ago, the percentage of iOS apps in use that came at no charge was 84%.

Only 6% of installed iOS apps (using Flurry Analytics, of course) came with a price tag of $0.99. That leaves just 4% of apps downloaded with a price of $1.99 of higher.

"Some might argue that this supports the idea that 'content wants to be free.' We don't see it quite that way," explains Flurry Director of Industry Insights and Analysis Mary Ellen Gordon.

"Instead, we simply see this as the outcome of consumer choice: People want free content more than they want to avoid ads or to have the absolute highest quality content possible," Gordon writes in a post published Thursday. "This is a collective choice that could have played out differently and could still in particular contexts (e.g., enterprise apps or highly specialized apps such as those tracking medical or financial information)."

Free app popularity, however, isn't limited to the iOS ecosystem. Flurry finds that Android users are even more inclined than their iOS counterparts to flock to free content whenever and wherever it's available.

To learn more about Flurry's latest findings, click here.

Source: Flurry

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

This report does not show the whole story. At one time free apps were free. Now a free apps mean 'in app purchases' are guaranteed. They still make the money with this method don't you worry.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (07-18-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    This report does not show the whole story. At one time free apps were free. Now a free apps mean 'in app purchases' are guaranteed. They still make the money with this method don't you worry.
    Also, there are now so many app choices that there is almost always a free option. Many people do not care about how full featured the app is if they typically use it for one or two things and the free version is enough. Personally I would rather pay for a well designed UI and ALL of the features in an app I would ever need.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

emerica6708 (07-18-2013)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I download the free apps and I buy apps I really need. My favorite app to try free apps is AppGonefree. I use it every day! I do get a lot of free good apps using this app!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I download the free apps and I buy apps I really need. My favorite app to try free apps is AppGonefree. I use it every day! I do get a lot of free good apps using this app!
    I use Appshopper app. Does AppGoneFree let's you have a wish list?

Now before I go into the quote I am a person who prefers free apps but will pay to remove adds, add features, or have a better design and feel then the free ones. And I use sites like FreeAppLife(dot)com to help me either get the paid apps while they are free or earn free iTunes cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    Flurry finds that Android users are even more inclined than their iOS counterparts to flock to free content whenever and wherever it's available.
    Now for the quote, it should be obvious. There is a very easily accessible feature that allows users to download apps without the PlayStore so it extremely simple to download the app for free illegally.

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that I pay out top dollar for Cydia tweaks so I'm not very cheap when it comes to my phone.
    Last edited by PokemonDesigner; 07-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks for telling us what percentage of total apps are free by the way. Real informative.

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I use Appshopper app. Does AppGoneFree let's you have a wish list?
    Yeah Appshopper is the best - I use the Popular->Free->Price Drops filter to snag paid apps as they momentarily become free

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (07-19-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone should download "Appshopper" it has the best email notification when an app goes free on your wish list, Can't tell u how many times I found deals =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Yeah Appshopper is the best - I use the Popular->Free->Price Drops filter to snag paid apps as they momentarily become free
    Didn't realize u posted about it lol oh well more attention to it Can't hurt =)