+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Wants to Sell Half of All iPhones Through Its Retail Stores

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Wants to Sell Half of All iPhones Through Its Retail Stores

Apple CEO Tim Cook isn't pleased with how many iPhones are sold at Apple's retail stores.

Despite boasting the most lucrative square footage across the global retail landscape, Apple wants to do bigger business at these locations when it comes to moving units of the company's iPhone.

As of the most recent data available, only 20 percent of all iPhones are sold through Apple Stores. Cook wants to eventually see that number balloon to more than 50 percent.

As of May 2013, Apple has 406 Apple Stores worldwide. Although that's not a miniscule retail presence by any stretch of the imagination, is it realistic to think that Apple could sell a majority of its iPhones - on a global scale - at these stores, particularly when millions of consumers don't live within a reasonable distance from the closest Apple Store?

According to new analysis shared with AllThingsD by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), raising Apple Store iPhone sales to the level Cook is asking is a potentially difficult proposition.
    "Apple has about 250 retail locations — most, if not all, very well-trafficked," says John Paczkowski of All Things D. "But its carrier partners together have about 9,000... Add to that 1,000 or so Best Buy stores, and a bunch of other retail outlets like RadioShack, and Apple’s plan to claim iPhone sales share from its resellers seems a tough one to execute without a drastic increase in the size of the company’s retail footprint."

Source: AllThingsD

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't buying online from apple.com just a lot easier?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure most people buy phones from their respective carrier due to being subsidized, So I don't see how this is even a logical thought to focus on...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
    I'm pretty sure most people buy phones from their respective carrier due to being subsidized, So I don't see how this is even a logical thought to focus on...
    You can still buy subsidized through your carrier through the apple website

Thanks

I haven't gone into a physical store to buy an iPhone since my first one, a 3GS. I've just bought them online, and then activated through iTunes. My iPhone 5 had not been connected to a computer until I installed iOS 7 on it. iCloud is the bomb!

Thanks

Why camp out when you can just pre-order online and get it the same day it releases? It's so much easier to order online and its free shipping.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I buy my phone outright from apple. Means I'm not tied to a ****** contract with a ****** service provider

Thanks

Im not sure how this even got on the table but I think its weird. Its 2013, we buy groceries online. Why would I go, wait in a line when I can just order online and go about my business? Seems like Apple wants to keep up its retail dominance by opening and hiring more all around. I guess when you offer one phone compared to hundreds that the competition has, having a retail chain presence is part of the success?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i3exa View Post
    You can still buy subsidized through your carrier through the apple website
    Yeeeah, exactly......

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    I buy my phone outright from apple. Means I'm not tied to a ****** contract with a ****** service provider
    Do you change carriers frequently? I'm happy with my provider and have no plans to change anytime soon so I don't see how a contract that saves me money is harmful in anyway...

But those points have little to do with the article...
    Last edited by AdonisBlue; 07-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think i got my first two iPhones from an AT&T store (3 & 3gs). I've bought pretty much all iphones for the family on apple's website. Unless there is a discount going on at bestbuy or walmart. Then it just make economical sense to go to a third party store. I really believe apple should price match other stores, but they'd start losing money on each phone if they did that I guess. How can you compete with bestbuy if they are offering an iphone 5 for $99? Free if you trade in your old phone, which you shouldn't do by the way because you can get more your old phone on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Buy a GSM enabled unlocked phone from apple. No contracts, and you have more options for GSM carriers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

why buy a phone from apple when best buy gives you the same thing but a couple bucks cheaper and normally comes with a case or some type of extra incentive. You can easily take your iphone you bought at best buy to apple and get it serviced.

iPhone? More like MyPhone joshlogic's Avatar
    Thanks

The logic is simple: If they can get you into the store there is a much higher probability that you will buy accessories and Apple Care/iTunes Match/etc. The phone purchase is simply more profitable for them with the potential add-ons than if a customer orders it online. It's not hard to see why they'd want you to come in.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I always go to my local carrier store simply because its blocks away from my house (5min drive) and an apple store is well over a 35min-60min drive some times longer depending on traffic.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
    Yeeeah, exactly......

Do you change carriers frequently? I'm happy with my provider and have no plans to change anytime soon so I don't see how a contract that saves me money is harmful in anyway...

But those points have little to do with the article...

How does a contract saves you money....? In what planet do you live? It's been proven tirelessly that buying a fully unlocked iPhone and going prepaid saves you a lot more money than being stuck with a carrier for two whole years paying a **** load of money....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Why camp out when you can just pre-order online and get it the same day it releases? It's so much easier to order online and its free shipping.
    Plus Apple stores aren't accessible to everyone. The closest one to me is about 30 minutes away, which is a bit annoying.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

There's no real reason to drive to an Apple retail store to purchase an iPhone when you can easily order one online. Maybe Apple needs to create an incentive for people to come to the store and buy an iPhone. There nearest one to me is like 35 min away, so unless they're offering me something to drive there I'll stick to ordering online.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyfl84 View Post
    How does a contract saves you money....? In what planet do you live? It's been proven tirelessly that buying a fully unlocked iPhone and going prepaid saves you a lot more money than being stuck with a carrier for two whole years paying a **** load of money....
    This is how:

On Contract: $200 + ($86 x 24) = $2,264. After 2 years, unlock iPhone from carrier.

Outright: $650 + ($86 x 24) = $2,714.

I'm not stuck with the carrier. I have been with AT&T since past 9 years and have the same number. If any other carrier can beat that price (I have two lines btw, one iPhone and one dumb phone), I'll switch. Oh and I have unlimited data plan and have never gone past 5gb.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I always order online because the nearest Apple store is about two hours away. I do not want to stand in a huge long line to buy my phone or stand there for a long time to find out that they just ran out.

Apple wanted their iDevices at lots of stores and now they want their stores to sell at least 50% of the iPhone or more?

If Apple wants this then they are going to have to open more Apple stores.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 07-17-2013 at 05:29 PM.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I always order online because the nearest Apple store is about two hours away. I do not want to stand in a huge long line to buy my phone or stand there for a long time to find out that they just ran out.

Apple wanted their iDevices at lots of stores and now they want their stores to sell at least 50% of the iPhone or more?

If Apple wants this then they are going to have to open more Apple stores.
    Exactly. Nearest apple store from me is about an hour away. Nearest att store is 30 min away. Nearest best buy is 15 min away. Nearest computer is 2 min away (time to turn it on). Nearest phone is 15 seconds away.

Thanks

I guess I'm lucky then, there are 3 Apple stores within 30mins of me, one is only 15mins. At least 4 AT&T stores within 15mins and at least 2 Best Buy within 30, again one is only 15 mins.