+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Maps 2.0 Released for iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 769 Posts

Default Google Maps 2.0 Released for iOS

Following Google’s Tuesday evening announcement of making the new Google Maps available to the public without the need for an invite, the company has issued an update to the iOS Google Maps application that brings the application to version 2.0.

The update to Google Maps adds features mentioned in last Wednesday's tease, including a newly designed application for the iPad, as well as handy new turn-by-turn navigation features including enhanced navigation, live traffic updates, and incident reports.

In addition, Google Maps 2.0 includes support for walking directions in malls, airports, and other large public locations. Users will also get to take advantage of Explore, a new feature that finds all of the most popular places to do things around you and lets you see them in a list view.

The update also adds reviews to local places so users can read about other people's experiences, and users will also get to view offers via Google Offers in the application.

Existing users of Google Maps will find the update under the Updates tab in the App Store. Alternatively, users can download the latest version of Google Maps for free via this App Store link.

Sources: App Store

Green Apple
    Thanks

I noticed it now has satellite view during navigation. Not sure if that was available before or not though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

they need to fix the menu button in the lower left corner. it's cut halfway off the screen.

Thanks

Footpaths that weren't there before are now and walking directions use them. It does seem better.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its nice how you guys post iOS 7 screenshots

*T*
    Thanks

Apple Maps are soooo far behind.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Footpaths that weren't there before are now and walking directions use them. It does seem better.
    Just double checked. It sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by Adz2010 View Post
    Its nice how you guys post iOS 7 screenshots
    Haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Apple Maps are soooo far behind.
    LMAO! And yet Apple was the first with vector graphics, first to have an iPad app, first to have turn by turn directions... Google is finally catching up with Apple now that their app has been designed to work on an iPad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perceptum For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (07-20-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    LMAO! And yet Apple was the first with vector graphics, first to have an iPad app, first to have turn by turn directions... Google is finally catching up with Apple now that their app has been designed to work on an iPad.
    At least the Google maps have never tried to get me killed while using its walking directions unlike Apples version tried last week

Thanks

Google had vector Graphics and turn by turn on Android well before Apple came up with their sorry excuse for a mapping App.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    As far as data, Google is way ahead, maybe that's what *T* was referring to.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Google had vector Graphics and turn by turn on Android well before Apple came up with their sorry excuse for a mapping App.
    1. This is an iPhone forum and we are comparing Apple Maps with Google Maps on iOS so no one here cares what Google Maps had on a sub-standard OS.

2. Do you even know why Apple ditched Google Maps? It's because Google would not implement turn by turn directions on iOS so Apple said buh-bye.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pizzafootbal View Post
    As far as data, Google is way ahead, maybe that's what *T* was referring to.
    Yes, but Apple is getting better.

Thanks

I'm glad you told me this was an iPhone forum, I didn't realise...
    Would not? Or Could not. Please get your facts right.

Yes, but Apple is getting better.
    When they have street view I might consider using them, but their search is still absolutely appalling.

People defending all things Apple, even when they are clearly inferior, is strange. They bring out a polished turd and people defend it because its Apple.
    Last edited by confucious; 07-18-2013 at 12:31 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (07-21-2013)

Banned
    Thanks
    goggle map are not working fine on i phone OS as they are completely showing wrong directions while viewing it has now become a big issue so better not to rely on this app of google at all..

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Overdue but still worth it
    Finally.. its a bit overdue but better late than never and also they need to fix a few things before i can conclude that its a great addition to my mobile phone.

Thanks

I'm glad you told me this was an iPhone forum, I didn't realise...
    Would not? Or Could not. Please get your facts right.
    As I said in my original post, "would not". Maybe you need to get your facts right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    As I said in my original post, "would not". Maybe you need to get your facts right.
    So you don't understand that their license made it illegal for them to do so? Or are you just ignorant of the facts?

Thanks

So you don't understand that their license made it illegal for them to do so? Or are you just ignorant of the facts?
    Dude are you serious! Do you not follow Google? Apple asked Google to incorporate turn by turn into native Maps and google denied stating that its a niche feature that they'd like to keep for Android OS only. Apple then said buh-bye.

Green Apple
    Thanks

reported