Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Early iPhone 5S Shipments rumored to be Constrained Due to Poor Manufacturing Yields

Thanks

Default Early iPhone 5S Shipments rumored to be Constrained Due to Poor Manufacturing Yields

The folks over at DigiTimes are reporting that the iPhone 5S may see constrained supplies at launch due to poor yields of certain components. In particular, the issues are said to be related to chips supporting fingerprint recognition and the device’s LCD according to the publication’s industry sources. The following was mentioned by DigiTimes regarding the matter:

The fingerprint recognition chip is designed by AuthenTec, of which Apple acquired for US$356 million in July 2012. Issues related to the original design of the chip reportedly caused the lower yield rates, claimed the sources, adding that Apple outsources the production of the fingerprint recognition chips to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and the packaging of the chips to Xintec.
    The report continued by claiming that production for the new device was to originally begin in late June or early July but due to yield problems, the ramp up will be delayed until late July. The delay is said to result in Apple delaying shipments of three million iPhone 5S into the fourth quarter. Just recently, Jeffries analyst Peter Misek indicated that “small batch production” of the iPhone 5S had begun last month, with mass production ramping up later this month.

Previously both KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Reuters both claimed that production issues would likely result in a delay for Apple’s newest flagship device. However, at Apple’s Q1 2013 earnings call, Tim Cook warned that prediction future business for Apple based on supply chain data was “impossible” as the company has multiple sources for components to account for varying yields and inconsistent supplier performance.

We’ll have to wait and see how things turn out. What we do know is Apple’s iPhone 5S is likely to launch sometime in the fall.

Source: DigiTimes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

356 Million doesn't buy what it used to huh!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Is it me or is there always a delay of some sort before launch?

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    It's definitely just you. It's never happened with any apple products, ever

5s what is the s for. SMALL improvement?

No surprise here. Same ol sh.it, different year

Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
    5s what is the s for. SMALL improvement?
    Of course, same as every other S model

Lol. Is it me or every year apple says their low on something?

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Lol. Is it me or every year apple says their low on something?
    It's not apple. It's people who create rumors about apple. Usually they're wrong.

Whoa this have never happened before. Well except for last year and the year before and the year before and the year before...............

Thanks
    Thanked 9,889 Times in 6,042 Posts

I guess I'm OK with Apple delaying the release, rather they get it right the first time.

I could care less about this phone, thank god for iOS7!! I will wait till next year for a real upgrade.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I could care less about this phone, thank god for iOS7!! I will wait till next year for a real upgrade.
    I'm staying on 6.1.2 on my 5 until iOS 7 is jailbroken. That's when I'll buy the 5S. Can't lose PDANet, amongst others.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    marketing hype.

every time they switch from Samsung they have issues.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,972 Times in 6,532 Posts

Yeah, quality takes more time.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!