+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T to Offer "Next" Plan Allowing New Smartphone and Tablet Upgrades Every 12 Months

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default AT&T to Offer "Next" Plan Allowing New Smartphone and Tablet Upgrades Every 12 Months

AT&T recently announced “AT&T Next,” which is a comprehensive smartphone and tablet upgrade program that allows customers to purchase a new device every 12 months with no down payment and no activation or upgrade fees. The news comes in after rumors of a smartphone upgrade program from Verizon and on the heels of T-Mobile’s “Jump” initiative. AT&T said it will also be launching its own hardware upgrade plan in “AT&T Next.”

Starting July 26, AT&T customers can purchase a smartphone or tablet with no down payment, paying a monthly fee for 20 months as part of their wireless bill, with the option of trading in the device after one year to upgrade to new hardware. Upon trading in their device, the installment cycle for that unit ends and a new 20 month starts based on the price of the new smartphone or tablet. Alternatively, customers can opt out of upgrading and choose to pay out the full 20 months of fees, which vary from $15 to $50, depending on the make and model. According to the Ralph de la Vega, the President and CEO of AT&T Mobility:

With AT&T Next, customers can get the newest smartphone or tablet every year with no down payment. That’s hard to beat, and it’s an incredible value for customers who want the latest and greatest every year.
    The cost of the handset is broken down into 20 parts, allowing existing or new AT&T customers to purchase a 16 GB iPhone 5 and pay $32.50 per month for 12 months and trade the unit in for a next-gen iPhone model, with no additional fees required beyond voice and data charges. Those who choose to pay out the 20 months’ worth of fees will be able to keep the device, with no charge for paying off the entire amount early.

Do any of you think you’ll be taking advantage of the program when it becomes available?

Source: AT&T

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope, doesn't look like that great a deal to me, we are already paying a "hidden" fee of $18.70 a month for AT&T to subsidize our phones. So, if they are going to drop that, maybe.
    Last edited by Donnutt; 07-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

I'll keep waiting my 24mo and sell my unlocked phone on eBay for more than what I paid for it. Been doing that with every iPhone since the original one. I paid the $400 non subsidized price for the original and have not paid for another iPhone out of pocket since. Besides, the iPhone 6 will be worth the upgrade from the 5 not the 5s.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

MOJO5873 (07-16-2013)

Thanks

32.50 x 12= 390. Price for two year plan= $199. So... I wait another year and save $390. Or if I want to upgrade early, I can upgrade now, 14 months early for $449... In two months that will be $429... So... The math doesn't add up. The base voice and data plan would have to be cheaper I think.

Ok, another way of looking at it: price for new iPhone 5 without plan: $649. So AT&T subsidizes $449 of that. $449/24=$18.70. Or $37.40 for 12. So say you pay $100 a month for your voice and data. Now you pay $132.50 to upgrade every year. $1590 per year. I pay $1200 per year and IF I want to upgrade at the end of this year it will cost me about $225 extra.
    So, $225, or $390?
    Accountants at AT&T are geniuses if they can get people to go for this...
    Last edited by Donnutt; 07-16-2013 at 09:15 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a great idea but I don't know how many people would like to pay every year for a new phone that's way too pricey.
    Last edited by PokemonDesigner; 07-16-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    It'd be nice if Verizon were to use this.
    Hmm. I guess people will buy into this!

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,655 Times in 695 Posts

Yeah now the companies are leasing Smartphones, no need to own when you can lease. Feel sorry for the people with butter fingers that drop. break, sit on there phones and break them. Sure there will be something on that issue or be required to carry the ATT insurance on there account LOL.

As for myself? I'll keep buying and selling full price+$$$$. Plus i always buy the biggest size storage. All these plans i have seen so far talk about only the 16GB iPhone, Sorry i want the 64GB or bigger in the future LOL

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Hmm. I guess people will buy into this!
    I posted that ten actually read it and thought about it. Haha. Changed it after I really thought about how much money I'd waste.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I posted that ten actually read it and thought about it. Haha. Changed it after I really thought about how much money I'd waste.
    Well, re-checking my math I discovered that IF you upgraded at 12 months you would only pay $615 for a $649 phone. BUT you would only be leasing it, and you would have no return on your investment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Well, re-checking my math I discovered that IF you upgraded at 12 months you would only pay $615 for a $649 phone. BUT you would only be leasing it, and you would have no return on your investment.
    Exactly, why not sign the contract for 2yrs and sell the $200 phone on eBay unlocked (by at&t) for at least $200. I normally just do a buy it now for $250 and it sells in minutes. That way when I upgrade for $200 I have $50 towards a case. That's $250 for a used 2yr old phone (in perfect shape though).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (07-16-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Horrible deal used to trick people into thinking it's somehow great. This is like a car salesman asking you what "you want your car payment to be." Just a tricky way to mask that you are paying more than you should.

I'll keep staying one model back, and buying the next one on eBay each time. That's how you save money. I still don't have an iPhone 5, I'm jailbroken on my 4s and doing a lot more than most 5 users do.

No thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FilSmith View Post
    I'll keep staying one model back, and buying the next one on eBay each time. That's how you save money. I still don't have an iPhone 5, I'm jailbroken on my 4s and doing a lot more than most 5 users do.

No thanks.
    You do know the 5 is jailbroken too, right?

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Exactly, why not sign the contract for 2yrs and sell the $200 phone on eBay unlocked (by at&t) for at least $200. I normally just do a buy it now for $250 and it sells in minutes. That way when I upgrade for $200 I have $50 towards a case. That's $250 for a used 2yr old phone (in perfect shape though).
    I do the exact same thing

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I upgrade every year because I have two lines and AT&T let's you cross upgrade. And I sell the 1 year old phone (unlocked by att). Sold my 4S for $434. Bought the 5 last year and am eligible to upgrade in October.

Thanks

I used to work for AT&T and I must say, this will work out for them. There was so many people asking for something like this because they needed a new phone desperately but did not have the funds. It seems like the "Rent to Own" business model and there are a lot of them out there.

Personally I would wait, but when times are had for some people... they'll do it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FilSmith View Post
    Horrible deal used to trick people into thinking it's somehow great. This is like a car salesman asking you what "you want your car payment to be." Just a tricky way to mask that you are paying more than you should.

No thanks.
    You do know the 5 is jailbroken too, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I upgrade every year because I have two lines and AT&T let's you cross upgrade. And I sell the 1 year old phone (unlocked by att). Sold my 4S for $434. Bought the 5 last year and am eligible to upgrade in October.
    I sold my 8GB 3G in March earlier this year for $120 lol. My mother-in-law had been using it.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 07-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks

Well..AT&T is trying to make $$ not give away iPhones. Of course they will cleverly word there so called new deal and make it appetizing. Its up to the consumer to read the fine print and figure out if this is what he or she needs/wants. My issue is the best cell phone reception is usually not the one that offers the best plans and hardware deals. I would rather pay more for a phone on better service then the opposite..just saying.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I sold my 8GB 3G in March earlier this year for $120 lol. My mother-in-law had been using it.
    Lol. I feel bad for the one who bought it.