Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Square Enix Has a Change of Heart, Plans to Remove Jailbreak Restriction from Deus Ex

Thanks

Default Square Enix Has a Change of Heart, Plans to Remove Jailbreak Restriction from Deus Ex

The publisher behind the iOS action role-playing game Deus Ex, Square Enix, has decided to remove an in-game limitation that would disable a userís ability to fire a weapon if the title was installed on a jailbroken device. The company apparently seemed to have a change of heart and plans to reinstate the crucial feature in a forthcoming update.

Many iOS gamers noted that the publisher didnít state the limitation of the appís download page, and would only be shown the above warning message after purchasing and opening the title. On the other hand, Square Enix issued the following statement to Eurogamer regarding the situation:

We have not been clear in our communication earlier this week when we launched Deus Ex: The Fall. We did not state clearly that the game would not support jailbroken devices and so we will be switching this off via an update, so that all the supported iOS devices will be able to play the game in the near future."

"We feel it's the right thing to do in this situation and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. No customer should be out of pocket when we were not clear from the start, so we'll get the game updated as soon as possible so that everyone who wants to play Deus Ex: The Fall can do regardless of whether their device is jailbroken or not. As soon as this update is live we will communicate this via the Eidos Montreal Community channels.Ē
    The game hasnít been updated yet, though a new warning regarding the restriction has been added to the appís description. The title can be purchased from the App Store for $7 for those of you interested in trying it out.

Source: Eurogamer

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Meaning they see their main customers as those who jailbreak!

I already posted this, I'm not impressed Akshay

Quote Originally Posted by dsg; Today, 12:04 AM
    Square Enix apologises

We have not been clear in our communication earlier this week when we launched Deus Ex: The Fall. We did not state clearly that the game would not support jailbroken devices and so we will be switching this off via an update, so that all the supported iOS devices will be able to play the game in the near future.”

“We feel it’s the right thing to do in this situation and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. No customer should be out of pocket when we were not clear from the start, so we’ll get the game updated as soon as possible so that everyone who wants to play Deus Ex: The Fall can do regardless of whether their device is jailbroken or not. As soon as this update is live we will communicate this via the Eidos Montreal Community channels
    Last edited by dsg; 07-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
    Meaning they see their main customers as those who jailbreak!
    More like they found out that most ppl would pirate it and bypass

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzeh View Post
    More like they found out that most ppl would pirate it and bypass
    Exactly...

Install XCON in cydia if you bought the game and can't shoot!

Lol. See they gave up very quickly.

I've installed XCON regardless- If I want to run legitimate software on a jailbroken gadget I will!
    I hadn't heard of xcon until this whole Deus Ex fiasco. Glad something good came of it!!!

WHY are devs being total pricks these days? Micro$oft and their DRM for xboned, SquareEnix and this anti-jailbreak... To me it looks like Devs no longer care about gamers and more about money.
    Just remember they did it once so they can easily go back and do it again.

Smith, you are thinking too much into DRM right now to realize what the XB1 was going to do over time. Hint hint steam. But go ahead and let gamestop have their way with you. It's a good deal right??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,008 Posts

I don't understand why they would've done this in the first place. Jailbreaking is not illegal! Why penalize jailbreakers for something that's allowed?!?!

Default lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    WHY are devs being total pricks these days? Micro$oft and their DRM for xboned, SquareEnix and this anti-jailbreak... To me it looks like Devs no longer care about gamers and more about money.
    Just remember they did it once so they can easily go back and do it again.
    I develop games for 2 things. Money and to show-off my capabilities. I don't make games for so called 'Gaming Community' at least for the ones who pirate games. Games are made to earn a living. Its a job. Piracy and jail-breaking is stealing someone's rightful livelihood.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kalpesh78 For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (07-13-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    I develop games for 2 things. Money and to show-off my capabilities. I don't make games for so called 'Gaming Community' at least for the ones who pirate games. Games are made to earn a living. Its a job. Piracy and jail-breaking is stealing someone's rightful livelihood.
    Jailbreaking isn't stealing anything.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

BadJ3d1 (07-14-2013), dsg (07-13-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

You do know that jailbreaking is LEGAL, right?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

BadJ3d1 (07-14-2013), dsg (07-13-2013)

Maybe im old fashioned but if its that easy for "someones rightful livelihood" to be stolen then consider switching jobs. No one can steal physical labor. mod edit/racist comment.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-13-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shigh View Post
    No one can steal physical labor. mod edit/racist comment
    Except that they do the jobs you wouldn't... So its not really "stealing."

Just to be clear... In no way am I saying they should stay in our county illegally though.

Oh and back on the topic of this article. If a company doesn't want people to be able to use their apps on jailbroken devices, then said company should NEVER write a piece of software for PC, MAC, LINUX, or any other OS because you don't need to "jailbreak" those to have the ability to pirate.

Just because you have the ability to pirate software doesn't mean you will.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-13-2013 at 05:29 PM.

"jail-breaking is stealing someone's rightful livelihood"
    Excuse me........ I jail-break to customize not to steal if you'd like I'd show you how many apps I bought in cydia and the AppStore (hundreds!) so your making your living off of people like me! Sure there are people that install stolen software, shame on them! But to make a all out comment that jail-breaking is stealing? Your wrong my good Sir! You have no idea what Jay Freeman stands for? Also all the awesome things on iOS now and coming came from your so called Stealing!

Jailbraking actually sells iDevices
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

BadJ3d1 (07-14-2013), primalscream.40 (07-13-2013)

jail-breaking is stealing someone's rightful livelihood.
    I'm sorry but where in the h*** did you get this misinformation? Jailbreaking is not for pirating. Yes you can do it but that's not what it is for.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-13-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,950 Times in 6,529 Posts

I'll just make sure when I purchase something that it is not written by you. I wouldn't want to put your great work on any of my jail broken devices. Thanks for the heads up.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-13-2013), vinaygoel2000 (07-13-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Boycott!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast