+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nokia Introduces the Lumia 1020 with its 41-Megapixel Camera

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Nokia Introduces the Lumia 1020 with its 41-Megapixel Camera

Nokia recently announced the new 41-megapixel Lumia 1020, a Windows Phone 8 handset that will try to attract a different kind of smartphone enthusiast. The new Lumia handset is the spiritual successor to last year’s 808 PureView. The 1020 has a suite of photography options meant to complement its oversized sensor. Among these options is the Nokia Pro Cam mode, which allows users to make changes to the camera’s white balance, ISO, and exposure. In order to ensure that users can share photos easily, the device takes two versions of any given shot: one in the 41 megapixel resolution and another in a 5 megapixel resolution.

The 1020 can also attach to an optional camera grip. The accessory opens up the Nokia handset to look closer to a traditional camera but with the ability to pack a shutter button and a battery attachment that plugs into the Lumia’s microUSB connector.

All things camera-related aside, the 1020 packs a 4.5-inch AMOLED PureMotion HD+ display which outputs at 1280x768. Inside it is the 1.5 GHz dual-core MSM8960 processor that the Lumia 925 and Lumia 920 bore, though the 1020 only has 2 GB of RAM in order to help better process photos.

The handset is set to launch on AT&T on July 26 for $300 and with UK’s O2 and Three set to get the device in the third quarter. The move is Nokia’s attempt to claw back at the market share in the era where Apple and Samsung continue to dominate. Once the leader I the mobile phone industry, Nokia’s fortunes took a hit with the emergence of the iPhone and the company has struggled to gain relevance since.

Those of you interested in learning more about the device can watch the video below:

Do you think the Lumia 1020 will help Nokia compete against devices such as the iPhone?

Source: AT&T, YouTube (AT&T)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Awesome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

This was a ridiculous idea. 41 MP is not even close to being needed for anything. It won't improve quality at all, because that all depends on the lens after about 5 MP. All this will do is use insane amounts of storage space. Why Nokia, why?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GooseG For This Useful Post:

Faresismail (07-12-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nothing but a gimmick.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

It's not really 41mp. I read it uses an algorithm to take every pixel and basically turn the picture into a really good 5mp photo lol

Thanks

So how much storage does it have for those 15mb+ pictures?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

no, it won't compete many consumers won't need a sensor of that quality, nor will they know how to use it properly

Thanks

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlr...%3D4F7TMlrDXtw

This just reminds me of the Spishak Mach 20 razor. Useless and ridiculous.

Thanks

Umm...why would you ever need 41MP?? So SILLY.

Thanks

I'm getting it... 41 mega pixels! What!?! Nahnahnah jus playing... I don't want that gimmicky ish...

*T*
    Thanks

Anyone who buys this doesn't know what a megapixel is. More megapixels DOES NOT mean a better camera. Nikon sells a $7,000 dollar camera that only has 24 megapixels.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *T* For This Useful Post:

Sage I (08-05-2013), vinaygoel2000 (07-12-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol why even bother making this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

41mp is unheard of and is useless especially for a smartphone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ensigma View Post
    41mp is unheard of and is useless especially for a smartphone.
    Look up gigapixel photography, 41mp is nothing. Duke University has a multi sensor camera that produces a raw 2.2 gigapixel image that is about 1 GP when processed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is an excellent phone. Probably many cannot see what it is offering. When we see the qulity of the photos taken by a 1020, we can't stop ourselves from admiring it. Check out this photo and if any other phone can get this quality:

http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s...-city-view.jpg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    This was a ridiculous idea. 41 MP is not even close to being needed for anything. It won't improve quality at all, because that all depends on the lens after about 5 MP. All this will do is use insane amounts of storage space. Why Nokia, why?
    Can't 41 MP increase the digital zoom quality? You're right about the lens being the most important factor in a camera so I hope they put in aCarl Zeiss one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sensor size matters much more than the lens that's in front of it. Yes, the phone probably doesn't have a gargantuan sensor size, but from the reports I'm reading it says that the sensor size is on par with point and shoots (maybe even better than some low end ones). That's pretty good for a camera phone.

41mp might be overkill for a sensor in this class, but I won't venture as far as saying that this will only kill space.

That being said, I'm interested to see some photos taken with the 1020 at the hands of photographers that know what they're doing. Nokia's taking a step in the right direction I think!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    As a professional photographer yes I can say that 41 is completely overkill but the larger sensor will be a major factor and the fact they've also added the ability to control ISO, white balance and other things manually means this could be a major player for someone looking to get great shots from their phone. However Nokias downfall in the past has always been one major factor and that is that they always have terrible glass in the lenses which is why back in their symbian days when the iPhone first dropped the pictures were so much better at 2mp than the 5mp shots on the Nokia. You used to get that clouding over because the lens was the bottleneck in the process. If they rectify this for the 1020 it could really change things as we know it and hopefully Apple will follow suit. I love shooting with my DSLR but sometimes it's not possible or functional to take 5-6 pounds of camera with me everywhere I go.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumbows For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (07-14-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I chuckled at your ignorance!
    Last edited by Mohitster; 07-14-2013 at 09:46 PM.