Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iOS 7 Beta Reveals that Apple is Working on an Offline Dictation Feature

Thanks

Default Apple's iOS 7 Beta Reveals that Apple is Working on an Offline Dictation Feature

According to the folks over at 9to5Mac, Apple may in the middle of testing an offline/local version of the Dictation feature in iOS. As of right now you can use Siri for dictation, however it needs an internet connection, which makes it less reliable. Hamza Sood discovered code in iOS 7 beta, which indicates that Apple may be working on an offline version of the Dictation feature. The following was said regarding the matter:

Based on what Apple is testing, future versions of iOS could allow an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to process and convert speech from a user right on the device itself. This would speed up the process considerably, allowing emails, text messages, notes, and web searches take place via voice quicker than ever. The functionality is currently not active in public-facing builds, but we are told that devices internal to Apple have the function up and running.

We are also told that while local dictation is an option in these seeds, the former, cloud-based dictation process is present for certain situations. Perhaps this will be an option in Settings or an option based on internet conditions.
    Such a move would be in line with the next major update for OS X Mavericks, which includes an Enhanced Dictation feature that allows offline use and continuous dictation with live feedback. It is possible that Apple will bring the Enhanced Dictation feature to iOS as well. It remains to be seen if the feature will be available when iOS 7 is released later this fall. The offline dictation feature is one that has been made available on other mobile platforms such as Android for quite some time now.

Would an offline mode for Siri dictation be one that you think you would take advantage of?

Source: Hamza Sood (Twitter) via 9to5Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

How big is iOS 7. About the same size as 6? Around 700-950MBps?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    1.1 GB for iPhone 5.

this is awesome news. Dictation had already been sped up in iOS 7, this is really needed, it's one area iOS is really behind android in.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    lol you just described bandwidth (bits/s). The size is measured in bits.

Quote Originally Posted by babyydaveyy View Post
    lol you just described bandwidth (bits/s). The size is measured in bits.
    Haha yep just realized that too. I had a shortcut on my phone and didn't realize it had changed it haha

IOS 7 final soon enough.... Also how has the beta 2 been buggy or laggy? Also does anyone run into the problem of downloaded apps not working because your on ios 7? Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    IOS 7 final soon enough.... Also how has the beta 2 been buggy or laggy? Also does anyone run into the problem of downloaded apps not working because your on ios 7? Thanks
    Beta 2 (first for iPad) was really buggy on my iPad 3 so I went back to 6.1.3.

Yes most Appstore apps don't work.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Good now your text PRIVATE messages, emails and everything dictated to your phone will remain in the history for Siri servers for two years too. NICE
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Both versions are very buggy. I've noted that multitasking causes mine to crash from time to time. Especially when playing music. As for the diction and data storage..who cares Big Brother is always watching in so many ways. Go ahead and keep my messages, im not saying anything detrimental to me or mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Good now your text PRIVATE messages, emails and everything dictated to your phone will remain in the history for Siri servers for two years too. NICE
    "Here’s what happens. Whenever you speak into Apple’s voice activated personal digital assistant, it ships it off to Apple’s data farm for analysis. Apple generates a random numbers to represent the user and it associates the voice files with that number. This number — not your Apple user ID or email address — represents you as far as Siri’s back-end voice analysis system is concerned.

Once the voice recording is six months old, Apple “disassociates” your user number from the clip, deleting the number from the voice file. But it keeps these disassociated files for up to 18 more months for testing and product improvement purposes."

“Apple may keep anonymized Siri data for up to two years,” Muller says “If a user turns Siri off, both identifiers are deleted immediately along with any associated data.”

If this ends up being as badass as it is in Mavericks right now, it'll be ******* awesome.

Hopefully this feature will be for all iDevices with Siri...I hope I get this on my iPod Touch 5th Gen!