+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Japan's Top Carrier May Have to Embrace Apple's iPhone After All

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Japan's Top Carrier May Have to Embrace Apple's iPhone After All

NTT DoCoMo, the largest wireless operator in Japan, may be left with little choice but to do that which it has avoided until now. According to published reports Friday, the iPhone-less carrier may soon - for the economic good of its business - begin offering Apple's flagship smartphone to 60 million Japanese consumers.

DoCoMo's unwillingness to offer the iPhone is reportedly costing the carrier enormous sums of money. DoCoMo "is paying heavily for that obstinacy," today's Reuters report reads. 3.2 million DoCoMo subscribers have reportedly relocated their business to iPhone-carrying domestic rivals over the last 4-1/2 years.

"Today, the iPhone may not necessarily offer the best technological specifications in every aspect, but itís a very well-balanced smartphone," Kazuto Tsubouhi, NTT DoCoMo's Senior Executive Vice President, recently told the WSJ. "And recently, there are some Android phones that are also well-balanced. We are focusing on those models. So far, I think the strategy is working. In terms of product quality, the two Android models we are currently pushing are just as good as the iPhone."

DoCoMo's resistance contrasts with holdouts in other markets that are giving in this year to the demand for iPhones. T-Mobile US Inc's CEO said its April release of the iPhone filled a "huge void" in its line-up.
    Although NTT DoCoMo hasn't publicly rejected its previous posturing on Apple's iPhone, there's a good chance that it soon will, according to several market analysts who believe the carrier would be foolish to hold out much longer.

Source: Reuters

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

It's good that they aren't pushing a phone made by such a money greedy [...] company. But it looks like the idiotic mass is finally making their smart decision look like a dumb one.
    Last edited by Orby; 07-05-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Keep it clean...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    It's good that they aren't pushing a phone made by such a money greedy [...] company. But it looks like the idiotic mass is finally making their smart decision look like a dumb one.
    this is where your wrong, from other articles, DoCoMo rejected iPhones because DoCoMo cant install carrier apps onto the iPhone. Apple wont allow it, therefore, DoCoMo carrier rejected the iPhone. Its like when you buy a PC, it comes with all those bloatware that no one wants, slows down your computer... isnt that a good thing that apple will stand up against that?
    Last edited by Orby; 07-05-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Cleaning the quote.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albort View Post
    this is where your wrong, from other articles, DoCoMo rejected iPhones because DoCoMo cant install carrier apps onto the iPhone. Apple wont allow it, therefore, DoCoMo carrier rejected the iPhone. Its like when you buy a PC, it comes with all those bloatware that no one wants, slows down your computer... isnt that a good thing that apple will stand up against that?
    +1

Thanks

Interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,305 Times in 2,723 Posts

and another reason is because the iphone is sold out of america.......even tho it is built overseas. lol but the economics is what it boils down to, the money. and they see they are losing money because the want the iphone. is a good thing. I think

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

THIS!

And this is pretty much the reason Verizon rejected the iPhone before AT&T signed on back in 2007. Both Apple and Verizon were too controlling: Verizon wanted their software installed, Apple said no, so say parted ways.

DoCoMo should have learned from Verizon's mistake.

Thanks

Dumbasses

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Docomo, in conjunction with partners, release new models of phones half yearly, so they really had a vested interest in NOT letting the iphone compete with their phones. The Japanese also have (had?) a tendency to think that their cell phones were superior to the rest of the world, so the iphone might have looked like a passing fad. Regardless, it has cost them a lot of customers. To make things worse Softbank (the telecommunications company that currently sells iphones in Japan) is much cheaper than Docomo and while it is said that Docomo has better coverage than Softbank, I've found that largely to be untrue.

Thanks

Then why are there so many useless apps slowing down the iPhone by default? Is it because apple is still f*****g r******d like I've been saying for years? I like the way the iPhone works (for the most part) and I like how safe it is but I hate the money grabbing j****h company called apple. Especially since Jobs has left us.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Then why are there so many useless apps slowing down the iPhone by default? Is it because apple is still f*****g r******d like I've been saying for years? I like the way the iPhone works (for the most part) and I like how safe it is but I hate the money grabbing j****h company called apple. Especially since Jobs has left us.
    im not sure what you mean by useless apps slowing down the iPhone, i got a ton of apps + mine is jailbroken and it runs smooth. I find it ironic you would say that considered that DoCoMo wants to install useless apps or what ppl say "crapware" and apple forbids that hence the whole point of DoCoMo and Apple cant get along. I dont know why you would say Apple is a money grabber, they make a good, long lasting product, people buy it. Since you like the way iPhone works, im assuming you bought one too. Perhaps you should try another brand of cell phones if you dislike iPhone so much. Yes, Jobs has left us, but there will always be someone else with a creative mind. RIP Jobs!

Thanks

Lmao WHAT? Lol
    Last edited by Magnum; 07-06-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moomoochoo View Post
    Docomo, in conjunction with partners, release new models of phones half yearly, so they really had a vested interest in NOT letting the iphone compete with their phones. The Japanese also have (had?) a tendency to think that their cell phones were superior to the rest of the world, so the iphone might have looked like a passing fad. Regardless, it has cost them a lot of customers. To make things worse Softbank (the telecommunications company that currently sells iphones in Japan) is much cheaper than Docomo and while it is said that Docomo has better coverage than Softbank, I've found that largely to be untrue.
    I'm in Okinawa and I think AU is not bad. Just sucks they aren't the first to get good phones. I was going to go with docomo but heard they were expensive. What I pay now is pretty expensive compared to what I payed in the UK by using pay as you go. Wish Japan had this for the iPhone.

Thanks

I used to have my 4s jailbroken on 6.1.2 with a gig of free space with around 70-80 apps, 300 songs, and 30-40 tweaks and it was horribly laggy. I was constantly rebooting, restoring, and unjailbreaking. It is terrible. Plus with a brand new restore to 6.1.3 I still had lag with only default apps and no music. If we got rid of the useless apps like newsstand, voice memos, and merge the iTunes and App Store then we would have less crapware. Plus t-mobile adds crapware to the iPhone when you get it from them so clearly they are bad at their job of keeping crapware off of their systems
    And on the note of creativity, it appears Ives is on his way to being a good, new taste for apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm running 120 apps, less than 10 tweaks and my 5 runs smooth as butter. Never seen safe mode since iPhone 3G days.

Also using PDANet, BytaFont, Pandora Downloader and Songza Downloader.

Thanks

LMAO, what drugs are you on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    LMAO, what drugs are you on?
    Very high quality stuff man. But that's not the point!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    THIS!

And this is pretty much the reason Verizon rejected the iPhone before AT&T signed on back in 2007. Both Apple and Verizon were too controlling: Verizon wanted their software installed, Apple said no, so say parted ways.

DoCoMo should have learned from Verizon's mistake.

PLEASE know what you are saying before you say it. That is not the reason Verizon rejected the iPhone. Verizon NEVER rejected the iPhone. The reason the iPhone was not on Verizon is because their CDMA network could not handle the most basic functions that Apple wanted their phone to be able to do, and GSM networks could. That is why Verizon and other CDMA networks rushed so quickly to upgrade their network so they could make a deal to begin selling the iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvance's Avatar
    Thanks

+1 and very well said bud!!
    Also, what two phones are just as good?...just curious to know.

Thanks

Very high quality stuff man. But that's not the point!
    LMAO! Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by killakill View Post
    PLEASE know what you are saying before you say it. That is not the reason Verizon rejected the iPhone. Verizon NEVER rejected the iPhone. The reason the iPhone was not on Verizon is because their CDMA network could not handle the most basic functions that Apple wanted their phone to be able to do, and GSM networks could. That is why Verizon and other CDMA networks rushed so quickly to upgrade their network so they could make a deal to begin selling the iPhone.
    Then why did Verizon's VP Jim Gerace say it? Just look at the USA article called "Verizon Rejected Apple iPhone Deal" dated 1/29/2007.

"Among other things, Apple wanted a percentage of the monthly cellphone fees, say over how and where iPhones could be sold and control of the relationship with iPhone customers, said Jim Gerace, a Verizon Wireless vice president. 'We said no. We have nothing bad to say about the Apple iPhone. We just couldn't reach a deal that was mutually beneficial.'"
    Last edited by Perceptum; 07-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.