+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Boston University Files Lawsuit Against Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Boston University Files Lawsuit Against Apple

Here's something we haven't reported in close to ten minutes now... Apple is being sued.

Hey, at least this time the lawsuit is from an unexpected new courtroom rival, which makes it a little more interesting than usual... especially if Boston is your hometown or where you went to school. As it turns out, Boston University says Apple capitalized on a computer engineering professor’s patented electronic semiconductor and benefited financially from his creation by "stuffing it into the world’s most popular devices."

Filed in the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts, BU says a small electronic component patented by computer engineering professor Theodore D. Moustakas in 1997 can now be found in Apple's iPhone 5, iPad, and MacBook Air.

“Defendant’s acts of infringement have caused and will continue to cause substantial and irreparable damage to the University,” BU argues in its strongly-worded complaint.

The Boston Herald is now hyping the impending legal showdown like a world heavyweight boxing match at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

At stake is a bonanza of cash, thanks to Apple’s habit of breaking sales records left and right. The company sold its 100 millionth iPad last year, and 55 million iPhone 5 units alone were reportedly sold as of May.
    Tech analyst Roger Kay of Endpoint Technologies Associates tells the Herald that he "wouldn’t be surprised if a successful verdict or settlement netted BU in the realm of $75 million."

Source: Boston Herald

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I'd like to know how this is causing "irreparable damage". Infringement is wrong, but you're not going bankrupt for god's sake...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Lawyers always try to exaggerate as much as possible to try and get more than what their client deserves, also a way to scare defendant to settle out of court.
    But it could be "irreparable damage", you never know until all the information comes out. Maybe BU was negotiating with a company to create a revolutionary device, knowing Apple is a lawsuit happy company, this company thought component design was stolen from Apple and BU lost lucrative contract which they will never get back. You never know.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-03-2013 at 05:11 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    I'd like to know how this is causing "irreparable damage". Infringement is wrong, but you're not going bankrupt for god's sake...
    Exactly. What change would there be if Apple did not use the semiconductor? Nothing! So how can there be irreparable damage?

Thanks

Not for nothing, but how revolutionary could a semiconductor be today that was designed in 1997? I call BS!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    what are you talking about? apple makes the same claims--over icons !!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Funny to see this now because I'm currently attending their Tanglewood music festival. I don't think this is going to end well for Boston though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

Look at the Calendar icon, Phone icon, Music player icon, clock icon, email icon. Contact icon is not shown on the iPhone but that's copied by Samsung too.

Thanks

Before your point is addressed, answer his.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post

Look at the Calendar icon, Phone icon, Music player icon, clock icon, email icon. Contact icon is not shown on the iPhone but that's copied by Samsung too.
    I cannot agree with you. Did apple invent a Calender or what? Just that a number is given with a color bar (similar to APPLE) does not mean that Samsung copied the icon. On the other hand, if APPLE uses a patented semi-conductor, it means they stole it. Period. It does not matter whether it was delveoped in 70s or 60s.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung is behind this some how

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by svolam View Post
    I cannot agree with you. Did apple invent a Calender or what? Just that a number is given with a color bar (similar to APPLE) does not mean that Samsung copied the icon. On the other hand, if APPLE uses a patented semi-conductor, it means they stole it. Period. It does not matter whether it was delveoped in 70s or 60s.
    Any of the linked below items convince you?
    No Comment: Proof that Samsung shamelessly copies Apple | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    This thread has massive potential to go off topic. I've just done it myself, anyhow. Let's see how it pans out in court.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambi_Valence For This Useful Post:

Evaded (07-04-2013)

Thanks

What component is it? What is the patent for?
    If its fundamental to the iPhone and they have a genuine case then $seems small, if it's an irrelevant piece it is far to high, are they trying it on or do they have a case?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Any of the linked below items convince you?
    [url=http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/28/no-comment-proof-that-samsung-shamelessly-copies-apple/]No Comment: Proof that Samsung shamelessly copies Apple | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog[/url
    ]Not as such. Yes they did some things in a similar manner, but please tell me why so many cars for the past decades have been, are ever increasingly more and more similar to one another, both inside and out, that if it weren't for all the logos many could be mistaken for another. Tell me why this is perfectly acceptable, as it's part of competition, but it's bad for a another type of company? For that matter, have a stroll at your nearest Lowes, Home Depot, or similar large store's appliance section and you'll again notice that every refrigerator, dish washer, washing machine, stove, etc tends to look just like a few others near it. I don't agree with everything Samsung has done, but I don't see it being in any way out of the ordinary in the real world when competition is concerned. When it's obvious a given formula works, rarely will smart companies just ignore it. What I dislike is people acting as if Apple should be regarded any differently.
    Last edited by znbl; 07-04-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks

Found a way not to have to raise tuitions again, eh? What BS this is.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You're wasting your time. Apple could murder puppies in the street and the iFanboys would talk about how the puppies must have deserved it.

(And no, before anyone says it, I don't use an Android. I have an iPhone and an iPad. I just don't think Apple is above criticism.)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    I love you BRAC.
    I love you to.

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    POOPY IN MY PANTS BROC!
    OK!