Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Handset Subsidy Ratios Found to be higher than Apple and HTC

Thanks

Default Samsung Handset Subsidy Ratios Found to be higher than Apple and HTC

A study conducted by market intelligence firm, ABI Research, states that the average implied subsidy for Samsung smartphones sold in the U.S. are substantially higher than comparable products sold by Apple and HTC. This suggests that Samsung is heavily relying on aggressive pricing strategies to squeeze out its competition.

The latest research points toward Samsung products being subsidized by an average of 84% while Apple and HTC are at 74% and 80% respectively. ABI Chief Research Officer, Stuart Carlaw, had the following to say about the matter:

Samsung continues to squeeze its competitors at every turn. The Samsung Galaxy SIV is now considered on a par with Apple’s iPhone 5. Coupled with better subsidy, the breadth of its device portfolio, increasingly savvy marketing, and its excellence in channel execution, it is little wonder Samsung is dominating the mobile handset market from top to bottom.
    Although the latest iPhone products average a higher absolute subsidy value that is $110 higher than Samsung’s devices, most of Samsung’s devices come at a cheaper initial cost. The aggressive pricing strategies are said to be hindering less well-established vendors from entering the market. ABI Senior Practice Director for Devices, Nick Spencer, said the following regarding the topic:

The smartphone market in particular is entering a new phase focusing on execution and price, rather than innovation and value. Samsung’s scale and supply chain excellence is allowing it to put its competitors under increasing price pressure and win market share. This is a major concern for the rest of the market, especially for smaller, less efficient vendors, as margins will be squeezed and overall market value reduced.
    When taking a closer look at the teardown of the latest Galaxy model (the S4), it was revealed that the device has a build cost higher than that of Apple’s iPhone 5. It should be noted though that the averages from ABI take into account Samsung’s entire smartphone lineup, which is far more expansive than Apple’s three offerings. We’ll have to wait and see what other companies do about the situation to make their way into the market or if Samsung will continue to squeeze the overall market value.

Source: ABI Research via BGR

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

A strategy that is working out very well for them since they are the No. 1 manufacturer in the world and make more money off Android than Google does.

+1 for sammy.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    A strategy that is working out very well for them since they are the No. 1 manufacturer in the world and make more money off Android than Google does.

+1 for sammy.
    Money is not everything or quantity I still like the Quality product that Apple Produces and will continue to support them I think IOS is still a much better and safer platform

Thanks

+1 for sammy.
    Of course they make more money off of Android than Google does, they make a ton of devices (low end and high end) where Google only makes a few. Android is open source so it's free. Im sure Amazon makes more money off Android than Google does too with its kindle sales.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,356 Posts

How did I know JonGarrett would be jumping all aboard his Fandroid Train!

Thanks

Aaaaannnndddd nobody cares

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Correction...The "Sammy" fanboy club and its leader JonGarret care!! (Can you guys pick a name already? Is "Sammy" the new flavor of the week?)
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sakyr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Then way waste your time reading the article and posting a useless comment....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sakyr View Post
    Then way waste your time reading the article and posting a useless comment....
    Trust I didn't read it. My mistake for thinking I was at modmyi dot com...turns out I'm at modmysammy dot com

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

If Samsung produced one smartphone a year like Apple, things would be very different! I guess people will take whatever they can to try and make themselves look good...as mentioned above, I'd take quality over quantity any day! Apple provides quality!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (06-30-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 749 Posts

+1 for sammy.
    Well well well look who showed up??? The fandroid troll!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    If Samsung produced one smartphone a year like Apple, things would be very different! I guess people will take whatever they can to try and make themselves look good...as mentioned above, I'd take quality over quantity any day! Apple provides quality!
    1+ Amen!

I don't get why some people hate at Samsung for making their money by making tons of products. Not everyone can afford the latest high-end smartphone. Samsung caters to different markets, trying to get everyone in between. Just because Samsung makes low-end phones doesn't make their Galaxy's any worse.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamemaster77 For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (06-30-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    I don't get why some people hate at Samsung for making their money by making tons of products. Not everyone can afford the latest high-end smartphone. Samsung caters to different markets, trying to get everyone in between. Just because Samsung makes low-end phones doesn't make their Galaxy's any worse.
    I, personally, don't hate Samsung; I like certain Samsung products! It's Android that we still shy away from. Creating multiple phones for different consumers is a good thing! It just skews these type of reports because Apple only makes a new phone once a year compared to the multiple devices made by Samsung, HTC, etc, etc.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    , I'd take quality over quantity any day! Apple provides quality!
    On a related note. I'm finding my wonderful iPhone 5 is lasting me about 6.5 hours a day with approximately the same capabilities enabled that my S3 had (actually the S3 does a little more). S3 life is just shy of 8 hours before needing to hit the charger. Guess its time to remove some of the iPhone tweaks and dumb it down to get some more life back.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Bashing someone who says Samsung has a smart business mind isn't fan boyish at all either right? Trollol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fellowapplegater View Post
    Bashing someone who says Samsung has a smart business mind isn't fan boyish at all either right? Trollol
    And coming onto an Apple-Related Jailbreak site just to bash Apple isn't Fandroid-ish at all, either! Go somewhere else w/ the name calling; I'm sure A will just laugh and laugh and laugh with you on their!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    And coming onto an Apple-Related Jailbreak site just to bash Apple isn't Fandroid-ish at all, either! Go somewhere else w/ the name calling; I'm sure A will just laugh and laugh and laugh with you on their!!!
    There* and no, seeing as I'm an iPhone user ill stick with MMI. Thanks for the tip though.

As much as I love apple, I think they are losing their quality products. For example, my first iPhone 5 has wifi problems, my second has faulty volume buttons, and now I'm getting my third.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fellowapplegater View Post
    There* and no, seeing as I'm an iPhone user ill stick with MMI. Thanks for the tip though.
    Wasn't directing that at you. Your username states your preference!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast