+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BlackBerry Earnings Diminished by Powerful iOS, Android Growth

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default BlackBerry Earnings Diminished by Powerful iOS, Android Growth

Perhaps Parmy Olson of Forbes put it best today: BlackBerry’s attempted turnaround is starting to look like a "bad horror movie."

On Friday, the embattled Canadian smartphone maker reported an unexpected loss of $85 million for the quarter ending June 1. As a natural consequent, shares quickly slid 25% to $10.80 today.

The downward momentum of today's sell-off was strong enough to completely erase all gains the company's stock had made this year following the BlackBerry 10 launch.

The company shipped 6.8 million smartphones in the quarter, of which 2.7 million were powered by its new BlackBerry 10 software platform. Analysts had been expecting total shipments of 75 million and 3.6 million BB10 units....
    “After a surprisingly strong fiscal Q4, BlackBerry is struggling with both limited traction for new devices (BB10) and sustained pressure on legacy devices (BB7),” observed Nomura analyst Stuart Jeffrey following the publication of today's earnings report.

Nonetheless, executives for BlackBerry attempted to sound undeterred by the dismal report.

"During the first quarter, we continued to focus our efforts on the global roll out of the BlackBerry 10 platform," CEO Thorsten Heins said. "We are still in the early stages of this launch, but already, the BlackBerry 10 platform and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 are proving themselves to customers to be very secure, flexible and dynamic mobile computing solutions."

Source: Forbes

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

Guess that's what happens when you sit back to long and relax and do nothing to change your product or try to improve it.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

BlackBerry is dead. They can't even compete with iOS or Android anymore.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    BlackBerry is dead. They can't even compete with iOS or Android anymore.
    You'll always have that old guy that says he can't live without a physical keyboard because his deteriorated retina can't focus on a touch screen.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

What did they expect coming into the game way too late?? Both BB and Microsoft were late to the game, so they can't expect great results right away...or maybe ever! Unless they come out with a game changer like the iPhone, I doubt they'll ever catch up.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 06-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

damn lost 85 million in one quarter. should of game me money so i could of invested it into apple and then i would give them a percentage back they still would of done better then what they did with it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    damn lost 85 million in one quarter. should of game me money so i could of invested it into apple and then i would give them a percentage back they still would of done better then what they did with it.
    I guess you don't watch Apple stock.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    You'll always have that old guy that says he can't live without a physical keyboard because his deteriorated retina can't focus on a touch screen.
    Android has that covered too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    How many $20 keyboards exist that work with iOS again?

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    Some people like physical keyboards. Who are you to judge someone's personal preference?

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

It's no surprise. They've been going downhill for years. I've said it before on here, but after their email crisis, they were done. If they had capitalized on their bbm technology earlier, they might have made it. But the emails goi g down was the coffin, their latest sales bomb are the nails.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post

Umm how is that?

Thanks

Blackberry isn't dead, they just need to reinvent themselves. Like Steve Jobs did for Apple.

Thanks

Not that I think Blackberry will pull itself out of the gutter, however, let's look at history for just a moment and examine Apple's near-defeat before the iPod launch that saved the company. Like AKCHRIS said, Blackberry needs to reinvent itself and come out with a new amazing product that isn't a smartphone that everyone wants.

The smartphone market is completely saturated now and consumers have too many options at this point. It would be better to compete in consumer market-spaces that haven't been breached yet. SMART SHOES........that's all I could come up with lol

Thanks

The reason is simple: why would anyone choose to buy a blackberry over a iPhone or android phone for a long time the only reason was bbm and now they have announced a port to iOS and android ridding them of their USP (unique selling point) which is logically the most retarded thing to do ever

*T*
    Thanks

Nike already has that. Blackberry is finished. Done.

Personally, I don't foresee many new, successful products for the future of electronics. I don't think a watch or smart TV will be that successful. Smartphones are the last great product of electronics, and I don't think anything will become as big as smartphones until quantum computing becomes relevant in the consumer market.