+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Defines iTunes Radio Terms for Record Labels

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Defines iTunes Radio Terms for Record Labels

According to a report, the deal Apple is looking to score with independent record labels for its upcoming iTunes Radio service has been revealed. Based on The Wall Street Journal, Apple sent out terms to independent record labels last week which detail per-play rates, royalties and ad revenue the Cupertino California company plans to mete out in return for content access.

For the first year of iTunes Radio, Apple is willing to pay 13 cents each time a song is played, adding 15% of net advertising on top of that, dealt out proportionately to a label’s presence on the service. The publication went on to say that rates will be going up to 14 cents per play and 19% of ad revenue in the service’s second year. The offer is a bit more enticing than the 12 cents Pandora pays out per each song played. Apple is also said to be offering more than twice as much in royalties when compared to the Internet radio giant.

Exemptions from the generous terms are royalties on select tracks that are already in a user’s iTunes library as well as “Heat Seeker” content which is to be selected by Apple for use in promotions. Songs that listeners skip within the first 20 seconds are also exempt, with a limit of two songs per hour, per user.

The Wall Street Journal said the independent label terms are similar to those granted to major companies Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment. The “Big Three” are expected to receive cash advances. People who claim to be familiar with the matter said Apple is using iTunes Radio to sell songs through the iTunes music store, as well as move mobile devices like the iPhone and iPod.

Apple previously announced iTunes Radio at its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier in June, noting the ad-supported free service will launch this fall on iOS 7 compatible devices such as the Macs, Apple TV and Windows machines. The service is said to feature customizable stations much like Pandora but will have an added benefit of tapping into a user’s past purchased from iTunes for the purposes of personalization.

Is iTunes Radio something you are excited for trying out?

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

A11AST3R (06-27-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Only 2 skips an hour? Lame.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to holyshnikes For This Useful Post:

*T* (06-27-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    Be sure to knock back their offer when they bring it to your label....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    From someone on the iOS 7 beta, I can tell you that you get 6 skips. The 2 skips the article is talking about is the cut off for what they pay the record companies when someone skips a song before it has played for 20 seconds.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iOS Guru For This Useful Post:

*T* (06-27-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I doubt the 2 skips per hour is for the user. To me, it reads that they can only write off 2 skips per hour per user without paying fees.

I'm enjoying Slacker right now and dropped Pandora awhile ago. Maybe this will be smarter and actually give me music I want to hear and I won't have to skip as much... let's hope.

Thanks

^^Yes, I too like to skip but that is not really the point of streaming. Looks like artist will be better compensated compared to Pandora. I like the setup of iRadio yet it is still missing something...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'll be using iTunes Radio. I already pay for match. One less account or apps to deal with. I buy all my music through iTunes anyway, just makes since for me to keep it simple.

Thanks

It's not 2 skips per hour for the user

Thanks

two skips then commercial for me. Move to a different genre and it resets.

Thanks

i have had more then two skips...im a match owner so it doesnt give me ads...only thing im concerned is that they said that iradio would be available for itunes on Mavericks beta and i dont see it