Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 7 Makes the User Enter Their Apple ID Password to Disable Find My iPhone

Default iOS 7 Makes the User Enter Their Apple ID Password to Disable Find My iPhone

In addition to the slew of already discovered features in iOS 7 beta, one of the latest features to be discovered is the need to enter the password of your Apple ID to disable the Find my iPhone feature of an iOS device.

iOS 7 puts a lot of emphasis on security, including a new Activation Lock feature that will make it so a stolen iPhone can’t be deactivated. On the other hand, the new feature requiring an Apple ID password to disable Find my iPhone on an iOS device adds to the sense of security by preventing a thief from being able to disable the Find my iPhone feature.

Without being able to disable the feature, the device, as well as the thief, is open to being tracked by the owner from any other iOS device or computer as long as the device has an active Internet connection. In iOS 6 and earlier, the Find My iPhone feature could be enabled or disabled on demand without an Apple ID password, meaning that a thief could take anti-anti-theft precautions.

Citing AppleInsider, the new feature isn’t fail-proof; however, it does still add a small layer of security. A smart thief can still turn a device off to get away from the Internet or remove the SIM card to evade some of the many ways of finding a lost or stolen device.

Find My iPhone is a free iCloud-based feature that works on any iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Apple even provides a free application in the App Store so you can manage your devices and find them on demand.

Sources: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.

They should make a password to turn off the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    that will make it so a stolen iPhone canít be deactivated.
    You mean reactivated?

Quote Originally Posted by IPhone-Tech-Guy View Post
    They should make a password to turn off the phone
    Agree

This happened to me when I restored back to 6.1.4 after trying out the 1st Beta. Told me Find My iPhone needed to be disabled before I restored. Had to enter my Apple ID password before disabling it.

Wonder if this still prevents a DFU restore. Doubt it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

I use find my iPhone to spy on my Wife. Only problem is... She's really boring :/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KraXik For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (06-25-2013)

I just installed iOS 7. Someone just stole my phone. That thief turned off location services. Find my iPhone cant find my phone.

OK, this is hypothetical, but has always bothered me to have the ability to disable location services and set airplane mode from lock screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by interstink View Post
    I just installed iOS 7. Someone just stole my phone. That thief turned off location services. Find my iPhone cant find my phone.

OK, this is hypothetical, but has always bothered me to have the ability to disable location services and set airplane mode from lock screen.
    Oh yeah I guess u would have to disable that the lock screen options

I thought this was covered in the keynote.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Well duh. Took this long?

Yeah what about dfu restore

How do I do that without having installed a tweak?

Then disable the control center from being used on the lock screen

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    How do I do that without having installed a tweak?
    The new control center toggles in iOS 7

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

StayyyFlyyy (06-26-2013)