+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chinese Accessory Maker Claims to Have Cracked Lightning Accessory Authentication

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Chinese Accessory Maker Claims to Have Cracked Lightning Accessory Authentication

A Chinese accessory maker claims to have “permanently” cracked the Lightning authentication feature built into Apple’s iOS 7 operating system, opening up the possibility for a wide-range of manufacturers to make Lightning-compatible iPad and iPod accessories without Apple’s approval. The manufacturer by the name of iPhone5mod was already noted for offering non-Apple approved Lightning accessories last year, even as the Cupertino California company was still working out the details of manufacturer authorization. The accessory maker now claims that it has developed a solution that keeps iOS 7 from warning users when they’re using uncertified Lightning cables.

The company’s Lightning crack is said to be hardware-based and supposedly Apple won’t be able to negate the crack without reworking its own Lightning hardware. The company seems to be so confident in its its circumvention of Apple’s restrictions that it is offering money-back guarantees that its new cables will work with the final build of iOS 7.

As of right now, the manufacturer lists five cables on its homepage for “iOS 7.0.” These include a standard white Lightning cable, two iPhone 5 docks, and a Lightning extension cable. Apple has drawn attention to the manufacturer several times in the past, even sending it a takedown notice warning the company to stop offering a case modification that made an iPhone 4S look like an iPhone 5. The mod used both Apple’s logo and the iPhone name, two factors which Apple claimed amounts it to counterfeiting.

The Lightning connector standard made it possible for Apple to exert a greater level of control over many of its accessory suppliers in the past. But the current news of iPhone5mod getting past it could prove to be problematic.

Source: iPhone5mod via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (06-25-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is brilliant news, knowing that I won't be told off by iOS7 for using cheaper cables and not having to pay Apples ripoff prices

No matter how many letters Apple sends I don't think any chinese company will take any notice of counterfeiting

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    This is brilliant news, knowing that I won't be told off by iOS7 for using cheaper cables and not having to pay Apples ripoff prices

No matter how many letters Apple sends I don't think any chinese company will take any notice of counterfeiting
    The Chineese do not give a squat about the U.S.(Slap in The Face) and will continue to do as they please till we put a stip to it get em Apple !

Thanks

Good make me a 30 pin to lightning adapter that actually passes audio and charges because Apple's adapters don't !!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (06-25-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

You get a cable with any iDevice you buy, so why buy a cheaper ripoff? Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I'd rather have an Apple cable over a 3rd party one. Just my opinion

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    You get a cable with any iDevice you buy, so why buy a cheaper ripoff? Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I'd rather have an Apple cable over a 3rd party one. Just my opinion
    To use in your car (with USB port) and at work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

My cat ate mine

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank goodness. The in-cable chip in the lightning/thunderbolt were the worst idea ever. Drives the cost of the cables up to ridiculous levels.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Does it have full functionality beyond sync/charge or does it just dismiss the error and allow sync/charge? The difference with prior unofficial cables meant no digital audio output over USB for car and HiFi systems that used it. No in-dash album art and library access either.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's gets old paying $29 for Apple's cables. The AC end of my 4S charger slowly died on me a year ago. I think monoprice is = or better quality these days.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Mine died in about a month as careful as I was with it. I don't feel like I should keep shelling out $20 for a POS cable that just dies.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,319 Times in 5,974 Posts

I agree, I've gone through 3 of them on the last few months. Screw apple the end design is horrible. It should beca lot more rugged. Like on my Griffen car charger!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!