+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 Coming to Virgin Mobile Next Friday

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One week from today, Apple's iPhone 5 will land on Virgin Mobile USA for a reported $550 off-contract. Months in the making, the prepaid carrier has formally announced plans to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPhone 5 Coming to Virgin Mobile Next Friday

One week from today, Apple's iPhone 5 will land on Virgin Mobile USA for a reported $550 off-contract.

Months in the making, the prepaid carrier has formally announced plans to bring the flagship Apple smartphone to its Beyond Talk plans beginning Friday, June 28th. That means unlimited 3G/4G LTE data and messaging starting at $35 per month.

Customers, the carrier said today, can also receive a $5 per-month plan discount when they register and sign up for automatic monthly payments with a credit card, debit card or PayPal account, making the iPhone 5 available on Virgin Mobile for $30 per month.

The 16GB iPhone 5, available in Black and White, will be available online from Virgin Mobile, at participating Virgin Mobile dealers, and at Radio Shack for $549.99.

The 32GB and 64GB, also in Black and White, will be available online only for $649.99 and $749.99, respectively.

Source: Virgin Mobile

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Woo!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If they would have had this when the iPhone 5 came out last year, I probably would have left AT&T and grandfathered in unlimited data for this plan.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Bout time
    Quote Originally Posted by filabeaner View Post
    If they would have had this when the iPhone 5 came out last year, I probably would have left AT&T and grandfathered in unlimited data for this plan.
    Bout time , hell to the ya!

Thanks

Glad AT&T's choke hold is over. Not sure why Apple thought that one carrier would be better than all..slap the person who came up with that bright idea haha!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Glad AT&T's choke hold is over. Not sure why Apple thought that one carrier would be better than all..slap the person who came up with that bright idea haha!
    But it was a great idea at the time. It allowed them to roll out all sorts of cool stuff like visual voicemail because Apple only had to worry about the tech of one carrier. It gave time to prove the market and it forced other carriers to bring their tech in line with what was required by Apple. Now, as carriers are able to support it, the iPhone is rolling out to them. This really was the best way to do things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevelucky For This Useful Post:

GenesisDH (06-22-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed. Plus, AT&T was the only carrier to agree to apple's terms. 1 being no carrier emblem on the phone, 2 being wifi capable, 3 being apple retaining control of the software. Before then, no smartphone had wifi, and carriers had their own App Stores that you had to go through to get apps. Apple had to do what they did so that carriers would be forced to relinquish control on YOUR devices.
    Also, the "unlimited", is it like straight talk? Which allows no tethering and throttles?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Agreed. Plus, AT&T was the only carrier to agree to apple's terms. 1 being no carrier emblem on the phone, 2 being wifi capable, 3 being apple retaining control of the software. Before then, no smartphone had wifi, and carriers had their own App Stores that you had to go through to get apps. Apple had to do what they did so that carriers would be forced to relinquish control on YOUR devices.
    Also, the "unlimited", is it like straight talk? Which allows no tethering and throttles?
    VM maintains a fair use policy. I think it throttles after 2 1/2 GB. But for $35/month (if you don't want many voice minutes but do want unlimited text), that's not a bad deal. The only other downside is that you are limited to Sprint coverage with LTE very limited and their normal coverage is sporadic unless you live in urban areas.
    Tethering is offered on other devices for $15/month and gives another 1GB of unthrottled speeds; they'll probably offer it as well for the new iPhone.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave