+ Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 5 Coming to Virgin Mobile Next Friday

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One week from today, Apple's iPhone 5 will land on Virgin Mobile USA for a reported $550 off-contract. Months in the making, the prepaid carrier has formally announced plans to
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,718
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

    Default iPhone 5 Coming to Virgin Mobile Next Friday


    One week from today, Apple's iPhone 5 will land on Virgin Mobile USA for a reported $550 off-contract.

    Months in the making, the prepaid carrier has formally announced plans to bring the flagship Apple smartphone to its Beyond Talk plans beginning Friday, June 28th. That means unlimited 3G/4G LTE data and messaging starting at $35 per month.

    Customers, the carrier said today, can also receive a $5 per-month plan discount when they register and sign up for automatic monthly payments with a credit card, debit card or PayPal account, making the iPhone 5 available on Virgin Mobile for $30 per month.

    The 16GB iPhone 5, available in Black and White, will be available online from Virgin Mobile, at participating Virgin Mobile dealers, and at Radio Shack for $549.99.

    The 32GB and 64GB, also in Black and White, will be available online only for $649.99 and $749.99, respectively.

    Source: Virgin Mobile

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    648
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts

    Woo!

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, Texas, United States
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    If they would have had this when the iPhone 5 came out last year, I probably would have left AT&T and grandfathered in unlimited data for this plan.

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Bout time
    Quote Originally Posted by filabeaner View Post
    If they would have had this when the iPhone 5 came out last year, I probably would have left AT&T and grandfathered in unlimited data for this plan.
    Bout time , hell to the ya!

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 187 Times in 134 Posts

    Glad AT&T's choke hold is over. Not sure why Apple thought that one carrier would be better than all..slap the person who came up with that bright idea haha!

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Glad AT&T's choke hold is over. Not sure why Apple thought that one carrier would be better than all..slap the person who came up with that bright idea haha!
    But it was a great idea at the time. It allowed them to roll out all sorts of cool stuff like visual voicemail because Apple only had to worry about the tech of one carrier. It gave time to prove the market and it forced other carriers to bring their tech in line with what was required by Apple. Now, as carriers are able to support it, the iPhone is rolling out to them. This really was the best way to do things.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevelucky For This Useful Post:

    GenesisDH (06-22-2013)

  8. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    515
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    Agreed. Plus, AT&T was the only carrier to agree to apple's terms. 1 being no carrier emblem on the phone, 2 being wifi capable, 3 being apple retaining control of the software. Before then, no smartphone had wifi, and carriers had their own App Stores that you had to go through to get apps. Apple had to do what they did so that carriers would be forced to relinquish control on YOUR devices.
    Also, the "unlimited", is it like straight talk? Which allows no tethering and throttles?

  9. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    622
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 76 Times in 73 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Agreed. Plus, AT&T was the only carrier to agree to apple's terms. 1 being no carrier emblem on the phone, 2 being wifi capable, 3 being apple retaining control of the software. Before then, no smartphone had wifi, and carriers had their own App Stores that you had to go through to get apps. Apple had to do what they did so that carriers would be forced to relinquish control on YOUR devices.
    Also, the "unlimited", is it like straight talk? Which allows no tethering and throttles?
    VM maintains a fair use policy. I think it throttles after 2 1/2 GB. But for $35/month (if you don't want many voice minutes but do want unlimited text), that's not a bad deal. The only other downside is that you are limited to Sprint coverage with LTE very limited and their normal coverage is sporadic unless you live in urban areas.
    Tethering is offered on other devices for $15/month and gives another 1GB of unthrottled speeds; they'll probably offer it as well for the new iPhone.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts