+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Unknown to arrive on the iOS Platform on June 20 for $20

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default XCOM: Enemy Unknown to arrive on the iOS Platform on June 20 for $20

The long awaited iOS version of the popular game, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, is almost here. 2K Games has announced that the game will be available on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch at a premium price of U.S. $19.99. The excellent remake of the old PC game arrived on consoles last year to critical acclaim, and now it’s coming to iOS with all of the single player features of the main release. Multiplayer mode is said to be coming later on and will be added in an update a little further down the road.

The price might be the most notable thing about this one. Many developers are going with the freemium model on iOS lately, claiming that they’re just not a big enough audience willing to pay a higher price to justify anything but giving games away for free. XCOM is definitely a premium experience but at the same time, there are likely many gamers out there willing to pay $20 for a game worth the quality, especially seeing how XCOM is still selling in stores for $50-$60 on consoles and PC). If XCOM turns out to be a hit, we may see more developers and publishers trusting the premium price for their highest quality games.

If the game turns out to be a hit, it could potentially kick off a trend of even more developers bringing out their AAA titles to the iOS platform, possibly even closer to the same day and release date of console and PC games. Ultimately we’ll have to see how it all pans out and if nothing else, iOS users will get another excellent game to play on their iOS devices.

Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Official Site)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

XCOM is so good. So, so good. Insta-buying this the second it comes out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Never even seen gameplay for this game so I might have to check it out when it releases for iOS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Maybe $1.99, but not $20.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perceptum For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (06-19-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    Maybe $1.99, but not $20.
    Maybe even $6.99. Certainly don't see myself spending $20 on a 3.2 GB game.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It is ok not worth $20, I'd wait until price drop to around $5.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Or you can always get it via other sources.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

$20.00 seem like a lot to be asking for these days,huh? -.(\

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't find $20 a bad price, if this game can even make it half as good as the console version on my iPad, $20 is A fair price considering console games are $60. As long as it's not $20 and a Ton of in-game upgrades for more money and it's just a solid twenty the game has me sold

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Maybe even $6.99. Certainly don't see myself spending $20 on a 3.2 GB game.
    To those complaining about the price, this is the first modern AAA title to come to the iOS. There have been some others, but they were 10 year old games. This game just came out last year and isn't a port but the complete game. It dropped a couple maps and uses slightly lower graphics quality because of App Store size restrictions, but its essentially the same game. Apparently multiplayer support will be added in an update.

If this game does well we may see more first run AAA titles in iOS. Some games aren't built for touch screens but this one lends itself rather well to the medium. Perhaps if this does well we'll see some AAA titles designed primarily with touch screens in mind.

This is the beginning of big things.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
    To those complaining about the price, this is the first modern AAA title to come to the iOS. There have been some others, but they were 10 year old games. This game just came out last year and isn't a port but the complete game. It dropped a couple maps and uses slightly lower graphics quality because of App Store size restrictions, but its essentially the same game. Apparently multiplayer support will be added in an update.

If this game does well we may see more first run AAA titles in iOS. Some games aren't built for touch screens but this one lends itself rather well to the medium. Perhaps if this does well we'll see some AAA titles designed primarily with touch screens in mind.

This is the beginning of big things.
    Finally someone understands !

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess I'm just not a hardcore gaming guy. I'd easily shell out $20 for a productivity app but not a game. I'm 33.

Thanks

Best game for the iPad hands down. No in app purchase ********, amazing gameplay. When you think about what else 20 dollars will buy you these days (not much), this game is great value for money.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The game is highly replayable, both because you’ll want to try different play styles and because you’ll want to move on to more challenging difficulties as your skills improve. Search Appsgoer to get a full review of this game.