Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Launches Street Charge Stations Across New York City

Thanks

Default AT&T Launches Street Charge Stations Across New York City

The iPhone, iPad, and iPod users on the go will be able to receive a free boost at a handful of new public solar charging stations in New York City with more set to appear across the city over the coming weeks. Goal Zero, AT&T, and Pensa collaborated on the new Street Charge stations, which feature three 15-watt solar panels. Each pole has six USB connectors, including 30-pin and Lightning plugs for Apple devices. The charging stations also include a micro-USB plug for non-Apple devices as well as three female USB plugs for users who may have a charging cable on them.

As of today, the first official charging stations became live at Brooklyn Bridge Park’s Pier 1, Fort Greene Park, Governor’s Island, and Riverside Park Pier 1, according to AT&T. Another station is scheduled to open tomorrow at Union Square. AT&T has said that it will deploy roughly 25 Street Charge stations by the end of the summer, serving all five of New York City’s boroughs. The inclusion of a 168 watt-hour battery will allow users to charge their devices even after sundown.

The program grew out of the Superstorm Sandy disaster, when AT&T discovered that users were flocking to its generator-powered distribution centers to charge their phones. This led AT&T to partner with Goal Zero and Brook-based design firm Pensa to develop what it’s pitched as a “sustainable charging solution.” According to President and CEO of Goal Zero, Joe Atkin;

We’re excited to team up with AT&T and Pensa to help make New York a little greener and solar power a little more accessible. Nearly half of all Americans own a smartphone and the amount of time we spend on handheld devices has increased dramatically. All too often, we hear the dreaded low-battery beep and it happens at the most inconvenient times. Street Charge will fix that.
    Goal Zero mentioned that its Street Charge stations will be modular to meet specific needs, allowing for stations to be modified to add solar-powered lighting, Wi-Fi, and signage for advertisements. The station is also said to come to other heavily trafficked areas of the city this summer, including Coney Island, Rockaways, Summerstage in Central Park, Randall’s Island, and Hudson River Park.
    Marco Perry, the co-founder of Pensa said the following regarding the topic:

Partnering up with Goal Zero is a great match for us. We’re looking to create something that complements its surroundings and invites people to hang out and recharge. We have also found that where people gather, opportunities develop for street vendors and retail, and neglected urban areas come alive.
    Do any of you New Yorkers think you’ll take advantage of the new Street Charge stations?

Source: PC Magazine

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

who has time to wait at a charging station

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyruf For This Useful Post:

*T* (06-18-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

That will be perfect for thieves looking to 'apple pick' some cell phones. Watch to see who is charging what, then wait till they are done and walk away to steal it.
    Brilliant NYC.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

*T* (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Spyruf View Post
    Well from 0 to 80% it does a fast charge so a couple of minutes gives you a nice boost, enough if its about to die and you need to make a call.

Default Same thing came to mind
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    That will be perfect for thieves looking to 'apple pick' some cell phones. Watch to see who is charging what, then wait till they are done and walk away to steal it.
    Brilliant NYC.
    Same thing came to mind

Brilliant NYC.
    Lol no. Use the Find My iPhone app.

I know it's gonna sound stupid but I'm just gonna say it. Who in their right mind would leave their phone charging and "look away" (prolly being distracted) or leave the area even for a minute?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (06-18-2013)

Brilliant NYC.
    This is brilliant. No longer would you have to search around to find an iPhone to steal, they are now laid out on little tables for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smith01 For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (06-19-2013)

Lolz... I think that's is not a very bright idea at all I mean yes you do at times need a boost, but, that that is just too much for me. I mean you kidding me I will never leave my iPhone 5 unattended and I agree 100% on that comment you made Silverado1987.....

Oh! And one more thing..... Especially in New York City you kidding me I have heard so much stories about peeps stealing Apple Products there!!!!!
    Last edited by BUcLAo69; 06-19-2013 at 04:26 AM.

The thieves.....

Do they also have some sort of agreement with the government to read all of your data from the phone while it's connected? When I plug in my iPhone and use a utility like PhoneView, everything is directly accessible without the use of a password or pin code...

Did you read the article? If you are in Superstorm Sandy 2 and your phone has been out for days and you just need to get help or let your family know you are OK, you will wait. You've already been waiting days.

That said, I think very few of these would survive another Sandy unless they were in a secure location and set up afterwards.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the intention of this is for people to plug their phones in and walk away. It's a quick boost. You stand there with your phone for a few minutes while it's charging up. Not a bad idea. As far as the thieves go, it is something to be concerned about. I guess it would depend mostly upon the location of the stations. Ideally they should be indoors, places like grand central station and the like. I wouldn't use one in Harlem. I've never been to New York though, I just know what I've seen on TV/Movies.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Get your sh!t Took While you wait, lol
    No time to Waste ill keep it moving