Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Wireless Emergency Alerts Come to iPhone 5 and 4S AT&T Users

  1. #41
    Great, we can now receive messages directly from Dear Leader.

  2. #42
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Orleans - Who dat nation
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 115 Times in 88 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I'm disabling this ASAP. Don't trust it at all. Just another "sneaky" way for the (you know who) to track us!
    Disabling that, you are not doing nothing like you think from stoping them to track you, you are just disabling the alarm or option but they send you the message anyways the only thing is you are not going to be alerted.

    The only way to stop that is if AT&T cancel that service for you and that's not going to happen...
    Last edited by javiert30; 06-16-2013 at 04:09 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

  3. #43
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 266 Times in 172 Posts

    Big Brother is watching.

  4. #44
    My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    564
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 119 Times in 87 Posts

    Suddenly iPhone 4s are selling for a premium...

    I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 with the AT&T carrier tweak for increased speed applied, so far, haven't got this update. Does the carrier tweak block this update?

    Edit: assuming that the carrier hack was blocking this update, I reverted back to the old carrier file following the instructions by the author of the carrier hack for a jailbroken iPhone, using iFile. Now, each time I go to Settings->General->About it pops up a message box that "Carrier Settings Updated", but I still haven't got the AT&T update.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 06-16-2013 at 04:54 PM.

  5. #45
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Lmao this thread is hilarious... So many tin foil hat wearers have chimed in.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

    Cer0 (06-16-2013)

  7. #46
    Tinfoil hats, anyone? Geez, the level of paranoia her is getting a bit much. You all do realize that, under the last President, the one many of you seem to miss (you know, the one that started two un-paid-for wars that we are paying for now, the one under whom the economy imploded), EVERY conversation you had (text, landline, cell phone and email) went through government computers- and that is not MY paranoia saying it. Big brother has been watching for quite some time now. Just look at the cameras everywhere on street corners. As to "tracking" you, your cell phone is being tracked and triangulated at all times. THEY know where YOU are. So freaking out about an AT&T carrier update that lets us get emergency alerts is not really too worrying.

  8. #47
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked 78 Times in 62 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Yeah because if a major disaster is imminent your sleep is more important.
    Well I do have an option to turn em off. Don't I?

  9. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Tinfoil hats, anyone? Geez, the level of paranoia her is getting a bit much. You all do realize that, under the last President, the one many of you seem to miss (you know, the one that started two un-paid-for wars that we are paying for now, the one under whom the economy imploded), EVERY conversation you had (text, landline, cell phone and email) went through government computers- and that is not MY paranoia saying it. Big brother has been watching for quite some time now. Just look at the cameras everywhere on street corners. As to "tracking" you, your cell phone is being tracked and triangulated at all times. THEY know where YOU are. So freaking out about an AT&T carrier update that lets us get emergency alerts is not really too worrying.
    Where have you been buddy? There's this thing going on right now called "PRISM" you should definitely check it out sometime. Or you can sit on a jailbreak forum bashing people who respect their fourth amendment privacy rights.

  10. #49
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Not yet on my iPhone 5, Florida.
    Nor in Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by MoDaLoT View Post
    Nor in Iowa
    Change that I did receive the update I didn't know what it was.
    Last edited by MoDaLoT; 06-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.

  11. #50
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    Anyone else have battery issues after this? I mean ... I know ... I turned it off but what about grandma who doesn't know to watch out for stuff like this.

  12. #51
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 76 Times in 73 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Anyone else have battery issues after this? I mean ... I know ... I turned it off but what about grandma who doesn't know to watch out for stuff like this.
    Since the alerts are still pushed to your device even when toggled off, it won't make a dent on the battery life any more than if you toggle them on. The alerts are sent using a technology known as Cell Broadcast and they do not affect calling or data transmission, so they are similar in scope to SMS. The alerts are sent non-discriminately to all devices near a tower or set of towers. If a device isn't WEA compatible, it basically ignores the alert, devices that are WEA compatible push the alert to the OS for handling. This site talks a bit more about the technology behind it: http://www.cellcastcorp.com/emergency.aspx
    The toggle only determines if the device will show the alerts to the end user. It doesn't change whether or not your device receives them from the cell tower. That alone is at&t's side of things and cannot be changed by the end user.
    Just note: regardless of the toggle, you will always receive Presidential-level alerts. FCC mandated those be pushed to all devices and may not be toggled off, even at the carrier level.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 06-17-2013 at 05:37 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  13. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Since the alerts are still pushed to your device even when toggled off, it won't make a dent on the battery life any more than if you toggle them on. The alerts are sent using a technology known as Cell Broadcast and they do not affect calling or data transmission, so they are similar in scope to SMS. The alerts are sent non-discriminately to all devices near a tower or set of towers. If a device isn't WEA compatible, it basically ignores the alert, devices that are WEA compatible push the alert to the OS for handling. This site talks a bit more about the technology behind it: Emergency Alerts & Notifications
    The toggle only determines if the device will show the alerts to the end user. It doesn't change whether or not your device receives them from the cell tower. That alone is at&t's side of things and cannot be changed by the end user.
    Just note: regardless of the toggle, you will always receive Presidential-level alerts. FCC mandated those be pushed to all devices and may not be toggled off, even at the carrier level.
    Everything was fine until you added the last part about the Presidential-level alerts. I am surprised there aren't another round of Libertarian-wannabe, aluminum foil hat-wearing, Tea-baggin'-partyin' 'concerned citizens' whining about that. And if I have to read about PRISM one more time in relation to this, you obviously don't know understand what PRISM is. This is the difference between someone watching you and someone standing on a street corner and shouting.

  14. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Everything was fine until you added the last part about the Presidential-level alerts. I am surprised there aren't another round of Libertarian-wannabe, aluminum foil hat-wearing, Tea-baggin'-partyin' 'concerned citizens' whining about that. And if I have to read about PRISM one more time in relation to this, you obviously don't know understand what PRISM is. This is the difference between someone watching you and someone standing on a street corner and shouting.
    You are either ignorant or so pro gov. you cannot see the wireless carriers working with the FCC and various government agencies to exploit people's personal info. I know what PRISM is. Unlike you, some people do not like their 4th amendment rights stepped on. (Or any rights taken away) by some (secret program) bs.

  15. #54
    /facepalm

  16. #55
    I have this on my iphone4

  17. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    /facepalm
    I have the carrier update with the emergency alerts. Can I install the hacked carrier update with this

  18. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Just note: regardless of the toggle, you will always receive Presidential-level alerts. FCC mandated those be pushed to all devices and may not be toggled off, even at the carrier level.
    Actually you can toggle Presidential alerts as well, if you have the CommCenter patch installed and make a slight edit to your carrier.plist.

    Look for this section:
    Code:
    			<key>Presidential</key>
    			<dict>
    				<key>EnabledByDefault</key>
    				<true/>
    				<key>NotificationTitle</key>
    				<string>Presidential Alert</string>
    				<key>SwitchName</key>
    				<string>Presidential Alert</string>
    				<key>UserConfigurable</key>
    				<false/>
    			</dict>
    If you change the <false/>, that comes immediately after <key>UserConfigurable</key>, to <true/>, save, and reboot, then you will find that there will now be three toggles under Settings -> Notifications -> Government Alerts, instead of two.

    I am not necessarily advocating turning off Presidential alerts, but I like having the option to do so, just like one can for the other two. Frankly, I don't understand why they left the third one un-toggle-able in the first place.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to szr For This Useful Post:

    GenesisDH (08-15-2013)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •