Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: European Carriers to Begin Scrapping EU Roaming Fees Next Year

Thanks

Default European Carriers to Begin Scrapping EU Roaming Fees Next Year

Starting next year, Europeans will be able to take their smartphones anywhere within the EU and enjoy calls, texts, and data without paying a penny more than they do when at home. The European Commission has voted to scrap expensive roaming fees by July 1, 2014 as part of a major overhaul of telecoms regulation. According to The Telegraph, the source mentioned the following:

They agreed that this time next year we will have got rid of these charges.
    Detailed proposals for the new plan are expected to be drawn up within the next six weeks, finally putting an end to the incredibly high charges that European carriers are charging for roaming. The European Commission believes that carriers aren’t going to lose as much as they think out of the whole ordeal though. The move will likely encourage smartphone users to use their devices more while they’re abroad, particularly to access the Internet, making up what they might have lost in excessive charges.

The European Commission hopes that the change will also encourage European carriers to consolidate. As of right now there are roughly around 100 operators across Europe’s 27 member states, many of which are owned by the same parent company. This number is believed to be far too many. One of the sources said the following about the matter:

There are around 100 operators in Europe and only four in the US. That’s not sustainable if we’re going to have a single market and investment. Europe has less 4G mobile broadband than Africa at the moment.
    With roaming fees being out of the picture, it’s hoped that foreign operators will compete for British customers and vice versa, along with more carriers coming together to merge into one. We’ll have to wait and see if any of this happens once the change is in effect.

Source: The Telegraph

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Preventing the carriers from charging data roaming while in Europe will just mean higher roaming charges when outside the EU, and as not all European countries are in the EU, you will still get stung with roaming charges.

The more carriers the better for competition, I pay far less for my mobile calls than my American friends and none of this rubbish of having to pay to receive sms messages

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Preventing the carriers from charging data roaming while in Europe will just mean higher roaming charges when outside the EU, and as not all European countries are in the EU, you will still get stung with roaming charges.

The more carriers the better for competition, I pay far less for my mobile calls than my American friends and none of this rubbish of having to pay to receive sms messages
    So you think that €5-€10 or higher for one MB of data is reasonable? I don't even think the company earn that much money on roaming charges because no one can afford to use their mobile.
    Making it possible for people to use the phones in another country in EU will generate more money in the end, and maybe open up for other possibilities to earn money.
    100 different carriers is to much. Yes competition is good, but sometimes less is more. It would be enough with 5-10 operators to choose from, you don't need 100. Less and bigger operators will allow for faster expansion of new technologies like 4G and upcoming generations.

No roaming charges is good news, but harmonizing across the EU would mean sovereign nations giving up controle of their airwaves. That is not something that will be easily achievable or, most people would think, desirable.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.